Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone foresee any problem with mixing DT Revolution on the non-drive side of a wheel with Competition spokes on the drive side?

I have a wheelset I built up with all DT Revolution spokes a few years ago. The front wheel has been flawlessly solid, but the rear wheel has been problematic. I had to replace the entire drive side worth of spokes when first building because I over tensioned them and they twisted on me. After a little over a year later I again had to replace many of the the drive side spokes due to a combination of damage and over-tensioned/twisted spokes.

Last weekend at an endurance race a slight mal-adjustment of my limiter screws, and subsequent cassette damage, sent the chain into my spokes 3 times before I had to call it a day. All the spokes are damaged slightly in the thickest part of the spoke, and just to be safe I want to replace all the drive side spokes, for the third time now, before heading for a 2 week trip to CO and racing the Leadville 100. The Revolutions are not available locally in MTB lengths and I am wondering if these skinny spoke are just proving themselves to not be very durable anyway.

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Actually, I only need to replace the 8 outboard drive side spokes, so my options are between 8 Revolutions, and tearing down the whole drive side and replacing the whole thing (16 spokes) with Competitions, since I don't think 2 kinds of spokes on the same side would play well together. Less work is good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.