Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
swashbucklerette
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My regular commute on the bike to work is 25 miles one-way. I work a 9/80 schedule, so I've been trying to bike in 2x per week on the on-Fridays, and 1x per week on the off-Fridays.

I need to start increasing my running again, so this morning I biked to work. The bike will stay here overnight. The Sun Tran bus has a couple of busses that come through our plant, so this afternoon I'll change into my run gear and ride the bus most of the way home, then run the 5 miles from the bus stop to my house. Tomorrow morning I'll do the opposite and run in the morning to the bus stop, ride the bus to work, then ride the bike home in the afternoon.

So far this seems like it will work out well. I'll get balanced bike and run workouts in and save 100 miles on my Jeep. The only thing is that the packing logistics are a bit more complicated, with having to remember to bring run gear in and remembering to transfer everything from my bike trunk to my run hip pouch. After a few times I think I'll get the hang of it.

·
swashbucklerette
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
azepicriderandrunner said:
Good times. Have you been rained on during your commute this yet?
Not yet. Kinda taking a chance leaving the bike here overnight, as tomorrow afternoon could have rain. I do have a rain jacket in the trunk, but it has to be raining really hard for me to pull that out. I also have a plastic grocery bag that can go over the trunk. A little sprinkle is welcome. Crazy wind and rain and lightning and I duck for shelter.

·
Tucson, AZ
2,980 Posts
Pirate Girl said:
Not yet. Kinda taking a chance leaving the bike here overnight, as tomorrow afternoon could have rain. I do have a rain jacket in the trunk, but it has to be raining really hard for me to pull that out. I also have a plastic grocery bag that can go over the trunk. A little sprinkle is welcome. Crazy wind and rain and lightning and I duck for shelter.
Things are not looking good for my commute today.... lots of rain outside on the northwest side :eek:

·
im4Gsus
2,203 Posts
that's a good idea to leave the bike at work and take the bus back. i guess i can do that but need to check the bus routes. thanks for the idea!

oh, and good planning is important; t'would be tough to jog with your cycle shoes!:D

·
I'm "bad" different
138 Posts
hmmm...running 5 miles before getting on the bus. They're gonna make you sit in the back.

This time of year I can't stop sweating after my commute until I can get a cold shower or stand in front of a fan!

·
swashbucklerette
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
kaboose said:
that's a good idea to leave the bike at work and take the bus back. i guess i can do that but need to check the bus routes. thanks for the idea!

oh, and good planning is important; t'would be tough to jog with your cycle shoes!:D
Lemme know how it works out for ya. See...I'm not the only crazy person. ;)

I think if I forgot my running shoes and only had bike shoes, I might try the barefoot thing. Then again, it's not like I've never hiked 5 miles in cycling shoes anyways. :rolleyes:

·
swashbucklerette
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WeezPuff said:
hmmm...running 5 miles before getting on the bus. They're gonna make you sit in the back.

This time of year I can't stop sweating after my commute until I can get a cold shower or stand in front of a fan!
Ha ha. Dude, it's Sun Tran. I'd probably be one of the better smelling people even AFTER a run. Well...at least I wouldn't smell like booze and piss.

·
I'm "bad" different
138 Posts
Pirate Girl said:
Well...at least I wouldn't smell like booze and piss.
I didn't realize this was a problem on the buses since I never ride them. I would, but there are too many people that smell like they just ran 5 miles:D

Actually, I'm into the crosstraining thing too. I've become a champion bike walker with all the flats lately.

·
swashbucklerette
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Last night's run went well, just crazy humid out. This morning I decided to tie a bandana to my hip pouch and folded up a few handi wipes and put them in a Ziploc. Then I folded the Ziploc up and put that in my running shorts pocket. I was glad I had the bandana because I was pouring with sweat during this morning's run. I walked for about 10 min to cool down on the way to the bus stop, then used the bandana and some water from my bottle to do a quick sponge bath, followed by the handi wipes. Not perfect, but hopefully I wasn't smelling too bad. I sat at the back just in case. ;)

Looks like I'll get wet on my ride home. Clouds are already looking dark and it's only 10:40 AM.

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,181 Posts
Pirate Girl said:
My regular commute on the bike to work is 25 miles one-way. I work a 9/80 schedule, so I've been trying to bike in 2x per week on the on-Fridays, and 1x per week on the off-Fridays.

I need to start increasing my running again, so this morning I biked to work. The bike will stay here overnight. The Sun Tran bus has a couple of busses that come through our plant, so this afternoon I'll change into my run gear and ride the bus most of the way home, then run the 5 miles from the bus stop to my house. Tomorrow morning I'll do the opposite and run in the morning to the bus stop, ride the bus to work, then ride the bike home in the afternoon.

So far this seems like it will work out well. I'll get balanced bike and run workouts in and save 100 miles on my Jeep. The only thing is that the packing logistics are a bit more complicated, with having to remember to bring run gear in and remembering to transfer everything from my bike trunk to my run hip pouch. After a few times I think I'll get the hang of it.
Very cool idea to mix it up!! But too bad you started this in monsoon season. Ah well, it shall make it exciting!

Looking out today at the dripping in my backyard I am thrilled to say "no commute". My AM stats have gone from 149 to 142 lbs over the last three days of commuting in this humidity and heat while my BF has raised from 18 to 25%. In other words, my body is in distress!!! Although I'm guzzling water all day long, it appears that I'm loosing water weight at an alarming rate on the rides home into the oven headwinds. I'm tired today and have a huge headache. Oh, the perils of living clean and green....

·
swashbucklerette
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
katanick said:
My commute to work is 22 miles and I was doing it once a week for a couple months before it got pretty hot for me.... except the commute seemed a little dangerous..what direction do you take?
I take Tanque Verde to Houghton, up Houghton to Golf Links, Golf Links to Harrison to Irvington, then Irvington to Kolb and then west on Valencia. I take Valencia all the way to Old Nogales Hwy.

Bike lanes for most of the way. Valencia between Kolb and the freeway gets a bit gnarly with lots of truck traffic and a rough bike lane. But before there was no bike lane, so I guess it's better now.

·
Too many Sedonuts...
1,512 Posts
DurtGurl said:
Very cool idea to mix it up!! But too bad you started this in monsoon season. Ah well, it shall make it exciting!

Looking out today at the dripping in my backyard I am thrilled to say "no commute". My AM stats have gone from 149 to 142 lbs over the last three days of commuting in this humidity and heat while my BF has raised from 18 to 25%. In other words, my body is in distress!!! Although I'm guzzling water all day long, it appears that I'm loosing water weight at an alarming rate on the rides home into the oven headwinds. I'm tired today and have a huge headache. Oh, the perils of living clean and green....
Sounds like you don't have enough booze and grease in your diet. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.