Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking around, I just saw where I can get an XT M785 brake for $70, but all they have is the rear. Which is making me wonder how life would be if I ran that XT in the back, while putting a new SLX on the front (SLX currently $10 more than the older XT). Would there be any mismatch in feel at the levers? Has anyone gone with mismatched sets like this?

And the even more ridiculous idea, what if I save more money and leave my current Level T on the front? Wondering about causing problems when front/rear behave differently...

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
Breaking in the rear is different than the front even with identical brakes and rotors due to different weight distribution, tires, traction, etc.. It's fairly common to use smaller rotors in the rear due to the fact that weight transfer during braking lessens rear braking traction and increases front braking traction. This is true in cars as well and is exemplified on motorcycles.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Why not just get 2 SLX brakes. You are saving $10 by doing what you state above.

For me I want the same lever on each from an ergonomic standpoint but other than that different between front and rear is fine. I run 4 piston front 2 piston rear.

G

·
I used to have a bike that was disc in the front, and v-brakes in the rear...didn’t seem to slow me down ;):p:cornut:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.