Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here, and new to mountain biking, what's the deal with mixing and matching things on your bike?

Like for example, my seat that came with my Cannondale trail 5 29er didn't fit, but the dealer had a new take-off that I scored on the cheap that fits me perfectly but is a Specialized (I was going to get a WTB pure v, but since this seat feels so nicely I don't reallly see a need).

I bought an under the seat pack that is Bontrager.

--

I've been a car guy my whole life -- jeeps, off roading, etc...I mean if someone had wheels that said Ford on their Jeep, I'd think they were nuts. But now if they had a hi-lift jack that said Ford on the back of their Jeep i don't think i'd care too much.

--

So have I violated some cardinal sin -- or am I nuts for even thinking about this?

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
There are not all that many parts that are proprietary to specific brands. BUT, there are a number of different standards for brake mounting, BB/headset type and sizing, seatpost diameter, axle diameter/type, front derailleur mount/pull, just to name a few. So while it's not usually a problem to mix and match stuff from different companies, you do need to make sure you're getting parts that will fit.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
All my bikes are frankenbikes. My shiny new Kona now has a Bontrager stem and a 15-year-old Bontrager saddle, for example.

To continue the wrongness, the Kona-branded stem and saddle have ended up on my Trek road bike. Which is even more of a grab bag. The wheels don't match each other and neither do the drivetrain parts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts