Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Visiting Missoula 24th and 25th and Butte 26th 27th new country for me, looking for some rides, does anyone have any GPS data of trails which I could use to explore some interesting rides?

I'm a fair endurance rider ( risky thing to make pronouncements about) Looking for 20 to 50 mile 3 to 10,000 ft of elevation 3 to 8 hour ride, not afraid of hike a bike just to give a rough guide of the level of riding I'm looking for. Of course a local guide would be the very best, GPS data next best.

:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Actually there are 20-50 mile loops that are possible, you just need to know where to turn. Not too many 10,000 around here though. In Missoula, you can make a 25+ mile loop out of the Rattlesnake trails. Most bike shops have a map of the area.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gps data

Hi Gonzo,

I'm coming from Leadville, Colorado, where I've been for a few weeks, riding every day so condition is coming up nicely and should be able to hang in there on a long ride, then again this is risky talk on my part, you might be Levi Leipheimer in disguise. I'm coming for a family reunion in Missoula on Saturday so I should be able to get out for a ride on Sunday the 25th. What I was thinking was a 2 to 5 hour ride to just know a little more about Missoula since I'll be there and am rarely there. If I can't find a riding friend but did have somone send me some GPX files of a ride I could put it in my GPS and follow the track. I've pulled it off before but it can be tricky if the data is not in a format which my GPS will take easily. I am not an expert at this by any means but it is fun when it works. If I had a guide though or a good map, I'm happy to leave the gadget at home and do it the old fashioned way.

Later I'll be staying in Butte for a couple of days so I am equally interested in riding there on Monday or Tuesday the 26 or 27 I read about Pipestone as an area near Butte.

Any ideas here will be welcome. I'll be checking MTBR as I get a place to log on, leaving in the morning.

I can reciprocate as I know Leadville very well and Tucson very well for riding opportunities

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rattlesnake is a good thing

Hi John,

Thanks for the info and the link to the trail descrip. Sound like Rattlesnake is the place in Missoula. The only part that bothers me is where the describer of the route admits" they are probably terrible directions" and advises to" talk to some biker dudes in Missoula" A map at shop should help a lot tho. Still hoping for someone who has GPS'ed it and can send me the track. :D
Lee

·
Registered
211 Posts
Forget the GPS. With crap luck, it'll die on you somewhere in the mountains and I'll have to fire up the airplane and come find ya. :p Get yourself a good map, preferably a USFS map with countour lines and trailhead info. These maps are printed on some slick material that will withstand even the harshest rainstorms. Next, get a compass and learn how to use it. A compass never has dead batteries. :) If you want to take the GPS along, fine. But, in densely wooded areas you might not get a signal. For starters, try the Garnet Ghost Town riding trails. http://garnetghosttown.org/

Other Montana riding tips:

1) Carry food/water and warm clothes.

2) Carry a gun

3) Carry sufficient ammo.

4) Promptly leave the state when you're done. Don't make the mistake of moving here, working for crap wages, and then discovering that the only riding you'll be doing is to the 3 fast food jobs you have to work in order to pay your rent.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Go to a local bike shop and get a map. There are a lot of 20+ mile loops. Mineral Peak up the Rattlesnake and come out Woods Gulch is a nice 20+mile ride. If I remember right its about 23miles and takes about 5-6 hours. Blue Mountain can be a 20 plus mile ride if you ride the road up and Deadmans down.

There are a lot of 20mile rides in the area that can be done in a day. Any ride much more than 30miles becomes a 2 day ride in Montana.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the NAMES of places!, I'll be in Missoula this afternoon and be firing up for a ride on Sunday. Staying in a "Kozy Kabin" at the KOA. Gonna be a party there tonight for my Aunt Kitty, back to Butte next week, try out Pipestone.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sheep mountain

Sheep Mountain in the Rattlesnake district was a great ride thanks for the suggestion of j. parker here on MTBR and my friend Dave Schaeffer who had a map for me.

It was 5700 ft of climbing, took me 6 hours which included stopping to study the map about 10 times and stopping to climb downed trees about 50 times. The descent was absolutely fantastic and not too bad with downed trees. The downed trees are mostly in the valley from where I turned out of upper rattlesnake to the heliport. There is also a nice big snowfield to cross near the top of Sheep Mtn.

I'm back in Butte and hope to get in aride at Pipestone. Montana riding is new, different and exciting at least from what happened yesterday at Sheep Mountain.

If I can figure out how to resize some images I have profile of the ride and a map I'll try to post.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.