Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This ride I had been kicking around since last year since some other people suggested it. I had also thought if this ride could be cut back to say three hours it would be a little easier. The way to knock some time of is to go up the road and skip Devils Gulch.

Leaving the parking lot I headed up the road. I got a couple of miles up the road when I remebered I left my shoes on the picnic table. The first five miles of road are very boring and the grade is maybe 2-3%. After that it gets steeper and the gravel ends and you have a pretty nice climb going. After a couple of right turns and 11 miles you hit the upper Devils Gulch trail head. I continued up to Mission Ridge-no snow on the road.

Now heres where things make sense. The total time to the top was less than two hours and my feet were dry and I wasnt feeling out of gas for the ride down.The elevation gain was just short of 4000 feet. Leaving the top 30 minutes later I was at the tie. The trail was clear all the way down. From the tie it was up Mission to the ridge and down for another hour. I ended up knocking about 30 minutes off the "normal" time of 4 hours or so running up the Gulch. I kind of liked skipping the Gulch with my dry feet I was "roughing it smoothly".:D . The total elevation gain for this ride was 4700 feet and 23.4 miles. I am sure riding the Gulch would push it past 5,000 and another mile or so of riding.

When I got back I went to get my shoes at the table and they were gone. Why would anyone want some raggedy size 13 shoes?:eekster:

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
borregokid said:
When I got back I went to get my shoes at the table and they were gone. Why would anyone want some raggedy size 13 shoes?:eekster:
You'd be suprised what Sasquatch have a fetish for....:D

·
Banned
774 Posts
If you have some one willing to drive you up the road and drop you off it takes about 20 minutes to get up, and then you can come down, repeat and go down either one again in about less time than it takes to do one. Approximately 8000ft of descent in 2 hours. You can also leave your shoes in the car!

HAHA! You know I'm just messing with you Bkid!! :D

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats 2 hours for you 2.5 hours for me. I have known people that have pedaled up the road twice hitting the Gulch and the lower part of Mission in one day. Thats about 40 miles and 6900 feet of climbing and I think beyond the weekend warrior.

I hope who ever has my shoes is getting good use out of them, my wife said its no loss. A couple of months ago she left a brand new pair of shoes at a rest stop so now we are even.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.