Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few of us are planning on a night ride up the peak this Tuesday. Sorry for the late notice. Figured if you're up to the challenge or haven't been there, this is a great opportunity. This will be a no drop ride. We had MBoldt up there the other day on a SS!! If you want to escape the heat of the day and ride with some fellow cool riders (myself excluded of course) then come on out. Parking in the lot will most likely not happen since it gets very busy on this trail. We will ride the infamous Stanford side up to the peak. Park where you can in the neighborhood and meet at the gate around 8pm. You will need lights. Will will most likely depart around 815 just to give people some time to get here. This trail is very steep and hard but if you want to experience the thrill of almost 30% grades in some sections, bring it! The hikers seem to be very friendly and shout encouragement as you defy gravity on the way up. The ride to the top will take anywhere from 45mins to 60mins at a nice pace. Remember we will not be going up the Ohlone side on this ride. Hope to see some of you out there. Maybe I will drag a refreshment or two up to the peak!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jeez Rikk- sounds like you can power up that climb. I resort to 34 up front with a 34 at the back. I resisted the temptation to granny it last ride and it seemed fine with a not so hard pace. I will be there on my Look hardtail.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's wrong with granny gearing it? huh? Sometimes fatties like me with bikes that weigh a ton need it :(

Durrrrrr, what am I supposed to do in Freakmont from 6 til 8?
Purge for 2 hours then you'll be lighter for climbing! Maybe haul some food and refreshments to the top and then come back down for round 2. You should be able to make it to the top in 2 hours right? I think I will tack on a weight vest just so you can't whine anymore. ;)

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Thinking I may ride up earlier with some food and refreshments and one of those NASA blankets so I don't get hypothermia waiting for you guys.

A heads up: it does get cold up there, so bring arm warmers or something for the way down.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Just a thought for road/fireroad type long climbs...everyone can all start together, then the faster guys can just come back down the same side and ride back up with the slower riders. Everyone gets to the top at around the same time, no one waits too long, and the faster guys get a longer climb.

·
my body breaks the falls
1,457 Posts
I will try to make it. I will ride over to monument peak and back down the ohlone side (more fun descending this) if I have some company.
I'd go along for that ride. As much as I hate the Stanford side, hitting the bonus mileage out to Monument and then down Ohlone makes it worth the effort. Now I just need to figure which bike... a climber, or a descender :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Jeez Rikk- sounds like you can power up that climb. I resort to 34 up front with a 34 at the back. I resisted the temptation to granny it last ride and it seemed fine with a not so hard pace. I will be there on my Look hardtail.
I can only make it non-stop if I pace (not so hard :thumbsup:) myself plus its amazing what you can do if you don't have a choice ;)

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd go along for that ride. As much as I hate the Stanford side, hitting the bonus mileage out to Monument and then down Ohlone makes it worth the effort. Now I just need to figure which bike... a climber, or a descender :)
Twindaddy- Was that you we saw sat morning with your dog? Motorbacon said it was and since I don't believe we've met, I wasn't sure. Doing the ride you suggest sounds good to me. Not sure where or how far that peak is but I would be willing to go.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
So where are we meeting for refreshments? I plan on starting to ride up around 7:30 so that way D1pham, pmarshall and the rest of the fast guys are able to pass me even before I get to the top.

I need a head count of those who drink adult refreshments and those who dont. Don't expect pbr or coors, I'm NOT snwjunky.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well if we go to the monument peak, then I would think that would be the best spot. I am bringing just one beverage and some cups. I don't think anything over a pint of juice would be a good idea for the ride down. The ohlone side down was much more fun but at night will be a sketchy and interesting ride. I figure our speed will be way down. This ride has been designated no PBR ride.

·
my body breaks the falls
1,457 Posts
Twindaddy- Was that you we saw sat morning with your dog? Motorbacon said it was and since I don't believe we've met, I wasn't sure. Doing the ride you suggest sounds good to me. Not sure where or how far that peak is but I would be willing to go.
Yep - that was me. My mind was elsewhere when we passed. I saw the Quadzilla jersey and a green Spearfish. Then Motorbacon rolled by and the light finally went off in my head.

Monument peak is only another mile or so past Allison. There are a couple alternate routes for the adventurous and stretching out the descent is always a good thing.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
I think a Mission Peak night ride sounds delightful. I will bring the new Mojo so people will think I am a better rider than I really am.

Pmarshall...can you grab some Peyote from the confiscation room just to raise the technical aspect a bit?

(Addendum: This all hinges on wife's approval so that means I might have to have sex with her tonight...wish me luck.)

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.