Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so basically my title. I just did a COMPLETE rebuild on it and none of the knobs feel like they do anything. Ill crank high compression to the max, doesnt feel any different from the lowest setting. If i crank the low compression to the max ill hear more oil move around, but theres no discernable pushing feel to it.

Floodgate/Popit is removed.

PS. when you turn the high speed compression i assume the low speed is supposed to rotate with it?

Any ideas?

·
holding back the darkness
1,734 Posts
Assuming it was working correctly before the rebuild...
What weight oil did you rebuild it with? If not heavy enough the damping will feel like it's non-existent.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Before the rebuild it wasnt working correctly either. Got like 10w, ill prolly pick up some redline and mix it and try it again. Its a reasonably new damper and im having multipule sources tell me different weights and CST's. Rock shox oil chart goes up to only 2007.

Should i believe rock shox even though i have an 08/09 damper/fork? Or should i go with Peter Verdone's wiki suggestion of
Rock Shox
Rock Shocks OE fluid was Torco. They have since changed to Maxima 85-150 Fork Fluid for damping on most forks. 15.9 cSt.
Totem uses Maxima 235-150 for lubrication and 2.5 wt (?) for damping.
EDIT: Just did some research. 2009 specs are the same as 2007

·
wuss
2,379 Posts
I don't think the knobs do very much... If you test using just the cartridge and the rod you will notice a difference, but once you put it together it's quite hard to feel.

·
Rep Power Infinity +2
1,539 Posts
I thought I had the same problem when I added the DH compression damper to my lyrik. Just didn't feel like anything noticeable was happening. So, I unscrewed the damper from the fork and pulled it out till just clear of the oil bath. I then set the damper to full hard and pushed it down into the fork through the oil, then repeated the above steps on full soft. Sure enough there was a lot of resistance on hard but very little on soft.

I am however surprised that from full soft to hard there is very little noticeable difference when on the bike.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
brad72 said:
I thought I had the same problem when I added the DH compression damper to my lyrik. Just didn't feel like anything noticeable was happening. So, I unscrewed the damper from the fork and pulled it out till just clear of the oil bath. I then set the damper to full hard and pushed it down into the fork through the oil, then repeated the above steps on full soft. Sure enough there was a lot of resistance on hard but very little on soft.

I am however surprised that from full soft to hard there is very little noticeable difference when on the bike.
Edit: i gave it a shot. between full hard and full soft i didnt really notice alot. Definatly wasnt night and day.
perfect thanks!

I just took some pics with my damper out so ill throw those up there for the shits and giggles

Theres some of the pics i took.

Just out of curiosity does the oil in the lowers intermingle with the uppers? because when i put in some oil and i "cycle" the fork some of it dissapears into the rebound chamber.

·
Rep Power Infinity +2
1,539 Posts
Forgot to say to let most of the air out of your fork so the oil level is nearly up to the threads when testing the damper.

The oil in the lowers is just splash oil for lubricating. The rebound piston travels through the oil in the upper. As long as the seals on the rebound part that is secured to the upper leg with the circlip is not leaking everything should be fine.

I'm about to start experimenting with the oil volume in the fork so see if that makes a difference. On some of the higher end forks they work on oil level as opposed to oil volume. I read somewhere that the oil should be 85mm from the top of the fork. Mine is only 80mm so I'll add a known quantity of oil and give that a go. I think I have 193ml in there at present.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im running with RS specs of 112ml.. and as far as i can work out that might get past the glide ring. The only thing thats killing me is brake dive and square hits. Ill do a rock roll and it bucks me off of my riding position, either that or my nuts hit my seatpost. (yes im that far back and low). And if i grab the brakes on a steep descent, that just throws my weight foward

So it looks like i need to drain the top and see if any of it dissapeared into the rebound chamber?

·
I dig trails!
5,583 Posts
brad72 said:
I thought I had the same problem when I added the DH compression damper to my lyrikI am however surprised that from full soft to hard there is very little noticeable difference when on the bike.
Spring is to control you on the bike.

Damping is to control the spring.

I believe that is why pushing in the damper, you can feel the difference, but not pushing down on handlebars (which is probably LSC only anyway).

P

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ugh. I dont want to drain the dang thing again.... Or worse dissasemble the lowers...

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Its not a DH compression damper... the fork was originally a motion control, i put in a "regular" 09 mission control damper with the popit removed.
Ok so i just drained it out after (cycling) the fork a couple times. End result was that i lost quite a bit. 20 some ML... None of the 15w went into the uppers( Deep red when mixed with light blue) would produce an almost blackish result, so can i therefore assume that my rebound seals and such are ok?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Dh

Cata1yst said:
Its not a DH compression damper... the fork was originally a motion control, i put in a "regular" 09 mission control damper with the popit removed.
Ok so i just drained it out after (cycling) the fork a couple times. End result was that i lost quite a bit. 20 some ML... None of the 15w went into the uppers( Deep red when mixed with light blue) would produce an almost blackish result, so can i therefore assume that my rebound seals and such are ok?

Your pics looks like a mission control DH. No lockout. If that's the case you need to change the rebound too.

I'm planning to do the upgrade on my lyrik but wasn't sure if it worth the $$$ changing it from modded floodgate removal.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts