Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Faller - Expert Class
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Today I got geared up and hit the trail that is @ 15mins from home. I ended up doing a fun tough climb and came back down it. Rode for a couple of minutes more, and just couldn't get motivated to do any more.:rolleyes:

I started out the day really looking forward to a good workout. Right now, I'm chalking it up as being either bored with riding by myself, riding the same trail too often, or just plain being a bit tired.

Anyone else ever experience this? What did you chalk it up as? How did you resolve it? I may just have to start driving a bit further to ride.

Thanks!

:cool:

·
Your bike is incorrigible
3,179 Posts
very interesting

I was going to start a thread called "Burned Out" after I had a similar experience today. I was antsy sitting around home, and I decided to brave the heat and humidity. I figure I was out there for around half an hour before I just lost all interest. Weird. It's the feeling I usually get around late October, but I've never had it this early. Maybe it's because I started the season in February?

·
Faller - Expert Class
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's EXACTLY what I was thinking today too. "I don't usually feel like this until Sept or Oct after a full season of riding". That is weird, definitely.:eek:

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think we all have those days

I have days where I don't want to go out and I push my self. I always end up feeling good that I got out to ride, got some exorcise, had fun, and a little time to my self. With two kids and a demanding job I don't get out enough to get burned out. I go to the same trail most of the time because it is so close to where I live. It is always refreshing to check out a new trail.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
bummer man. i get the same thing sometimes too. i'll get out to the trail looking to hit the trail hard for a few laps, but i get there and about 10mins into my first lap i wanna take the halfway mark and head home. i usually force myself to keep riding a bit or i tell myself "don't worry about hitting it hard. just cruise and have fun!"

i also get this problem all the time where i'm really really excited to ride, but when time comes to go ride i'm just tired and not in the mood, so i don't go. the best i can do is not think about it too hard as to why i'm not in the mood. i can also kind of fix this problem by making myself go out ride somewhere that i know is going to be fun and i usually don't goto. then when i'm not motivated sometime to ride i think of how i was motivated before but had fun and i can do the same again.

good luck with sorting out you problem! i hope it isn't that you are just tired of riding!! mix it up and hit some new trails or build something to screw around on. sometimes i have more fun being stuipd in my neighborhood then when i'm really excited to go hit the singletrack.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Biorhythm. This is one of those hoity-toity biological training issues that I actually believe exists. Some days your chemical, electrical, and all those other magical biological components don't line or are so out of phase with each other that you just don't "have it" physically to perform well. It's not just physical, because it can negatively affect your attitude too.

Realistically I think a down day can be driven by lots of things, but I think biorhythm is often the culprit.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Big plan for today...run this morning which I did...good run...not great...then ride this afternoon....long story short...I feel like crap right now and can't see myself riding this afternoon..not to mention it's freaking 92 outside and hot as hell...sometimes you just have to listen to your body and take a rain check...I think we all go through that from time to time..sometimes it's mental, sometimes its physical....I'm just glad I did get my run in this morning..

·
emteebee
413 Posts
I had the same problem. I was really tired of riding the same old trail and rding alone. Then I had my first group ride and it was like my motivation came back like it was day one. My advice is to drive to a group ride, they are definately worth it, you get to experience a new trail and not get lost, and you get to chalk up mtb talk with fellow cronies.

·
Your bike is incorrigible
3,179 Posts
cmktech said:
I had the same problem. I was really tired of riding the same old trail and rding alone. Then I had my first group ride and it was like my motivation came back like it was day one. My advice is to drive to a group ride, they are definately worth it, you get to experience a new trail and not get lost, and you get to chalk up mtb talk with fellow cronies.
You may be right. I always ride by myself on the same old trails. The only time I really seem to have any fun is when I drive out to a new place and explore. If the place is new, I can ride there several times before I start to get bored again.

The point is, I'm relying completely on myself for motivation, and that's difficult when it's 90 degrees and 90% humidity and you're riding the same damned trail for the five hundredth time.

Dr. TNC might also be on to something. I've gotten a bad night's sleep but awakened wanting to ride. When I get there, I just don't feel right and end up not having a good time.

·
Faller - Expert Class
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey, thanks for the input everyone! A ton of great suggestions here. That was a good point regarding sleep. I was a bit short on sleep, that's for sure. I'm thinking I just have to mix it up a bit more, even if it means a bit more drive time. Thanks, and keep the suggestions coming!

:cool:

·
Formerly DMR For Life
989 Posts
maybe try switching things up...if you have a bike that you can play on go find some curbs to hop...or otherwise play around i find that to really help me...or even to just take the day off from riding

DMR

·
Registered
74 Posts
My regular riding buddy and I have been hitting different types of trails...like we have our home trails that are pretty technical single track..we still ride that a lot but mix it up with different types of riding..we just finished an epic ride on basically non technical fire road type trail that gradually climbs up to a mtn...it was a hell of a work out but totally different than our home trail...really cool ride...anyway, on our home trails we started riding them backwards...like reverse of what people normally ride them...and that is very, very interesting...when you are so used to going over logs, and through rock gardens on a trail...then to come through the opposite direction, it's like a brand new trail..pretty cool...so maybe that would be an option for you...I have yet to go on a large group ride..well more than 5 people anyway..that would be fun...
We all get a little burned out sometimes...I didn't go on my ride this afternoon but I cleaned my bike up and that made me want to ride tomorrow...

·
Registered
721 Posts
psinsyd said:
I started out the day really looking forward to a good workout. Right now, I'm chalking it up as being either bored with riding by myself, riding the same trail too often, or just plain being a bit tired.

Anyone else ever experience this? What did you chalk it up as? How did you resolve it? I may just have to start driving a bit further to ride.
I think there could be a variety of reasons, all of which sum up to just not feelin' it.

What I find helpful is a little self-analysis - I usually find that I want to get out on the bike but it's something else that is holding me back. So, I'll sort of compromise with myself and settle for a less-technical ride, or shorter or maybe take the road bike out for a quick spin. I also tell myself that I never regret having gotten on the bike, but I often regret not having gone for a ride....

·
Registered
273 Posts
It is sometimes really hard to motivate on hot days...

Do you have an MP3 player? I know that there is some controversy with riding with one, but I find that it helps motivate me on those "Blah" days,

I always try and push through because I know how much better I always feel after I ride.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Riding in a group definetely gets me going- I'll ride solo a couple of times during the week but look forward to meeting up with the gang on the weekend- i think it's the thought of the upcoming group ride that keeps me motivated.

also, i know it's sacrilegious and all, but, mix in a few road rides :eek:

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Yeah, that was me yesterday

... but I couln't motivate to get out of the house. I had planned to do 20 miles at Tamarancho by myself, but it never happened. I was fully Manstrating (sorry for the sexist term, but it described me perfectly), in a pissy mood, feeling fat (stepped on the scale an discovered I put on 7 pounds since I last looked).... just not feeling it.

I ended up spending about an hour prepping my wife's frame for new paint, did some housework, and not much else.

I feel better today, but don't have time to get out and ride until maybe Friday. Heck, Maybe I'll take the SS out. I always feel better after riding the SS. That bike is just so much fun!

·
Faller - Expert Class
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
szedhr said:
I would chalk it up to old age. :p J/K

Whenever I start something and get burned out, it's usually because I have a lot on my mind. Sometimes music or reading will help, and sometimes not.
LOL, well, if ya call 30 old, maybe.:madman:

I'm kinda doubting it though!;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.