Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Tahoe City TRT Question

I usually ride up Western States to TRT…then go TRT to Brockway and back down…taking missing link to the bottom. This Sunday we are thinking about changing things up a bit….skipping Missing Link and going down in to Tahoe City…riding the bike trail back to the car...Or start in Tahoe city taking TRT to brockway hit missing link on the way down and bike trail to T city. or........Start at Brockway go down to missing link...over to T city and back up TRT.....which route would you take???

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
bigboulder said:
I usually ride up Western States to TRT…then go TRT to Brockway and back down…taking missing link to the bottom. This Sunday we are thinking about changing things up a bit….skipping Missing Link and going down in to Tahoe City…riding the bike trail back to the car...Or start in Tahoe city taking TRT to brockway hit missing link on the way down and bike trail to T city. or........Start at Brockway go down to missing link...over to T city and back up TRT.....which route would you take???
Two years ago we started at Brockway and rode east up the TRT for a few miles to where it hits the dirt road above the lava rock field. From here you are close the Mt Rose Wilderness area which is off limits. Next we reversed direction and came back to Brockway and had a quick lunch. Hopped back on TRT west to Watson lake. Took a break there and then proceed farther west to the Missing Link overlook and down towards Tahoe City. The last 3 miles to Tahoe City is super rocky, cobble stone like lava rock and not a whole lot of fun. We bolted down to the dirt road, went up a bit and took the roller coaster downhill toward the North Tahoe Community XC center. We were staying in Dollar Point, so finished there. We sent a car back to Brockway to retrieve our cars. Great ride indeed.

·
The Uber Carnivore
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glass Mtn

Sounds like you're describing the Glass Mtn Trail down to Tahoe City from the Missing Link overlook. It's called that because the tires sound like they're riding over lots of broken glass which is the fragmented, thin granite. Glass Mtn isn't much fun...locals avoid it. There's Way better trails down from there that end onto Jackpine Street.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Love it

Trail Punk said:
Glass Mtn isn't much fun...locals avoid it. There's Way better trails down from there that end onto Jackpine Street.
That is interesting. I consider Glass Mountain and the descent down TRT to Tahoe City to be superb. To each his own.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
memine said:
That is interesting. I consider Glass Mountain and the descent down TRT to Tahoe City to be superb. To each his own.
I guess I just got tired of the cobblestone effect since it was my fourth day out, my ass was sore, and I was nursing a gash on my palm of my hand from a crash the first day out on Hole in the Ground. It is truly a beautiful area. I usually started my rides in that area from the North Shore Community xc area since that was close to where I was working or vacationing.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
TRT Missing link

I just got back from a 2 week family vaction and we stayed in tahe city, I think I covered every inch of the TRT in all direction. If you like technical riding "Glass Mt" is a blast going up and down. The missing link sign is there on the single track and it's new and improved.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sign should stil be there. I'm riding it tonight after work. Will look for it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts