Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On two recent occasions of poor judgement, I managed to smash in 4 teeth (total) on my big ring. I've dremeled/sanded them down enough that they don't look like they're going to eat my chain. The 2 pairs of missing teeth are at 9:00 and 10:30, measured with the crank at 12:00.

Considering I don't use the big ring that much at all, do you guys think I can get away without replacing my big ring, or should I replace the big ring to avoid chain damage (even though, again, I rarely use the big ring and am even remotely considering going with a bashguard for my future moments of poor bike judgement.)

BTW, it's a RM Slayer used 85% for aggressive (meaning, I make angry faces) XC and 15% for passive (meaning, I make scared faces) dirt jumping.

·
Banned
6,057 Posts
phUnk said:
On two recent occasions of poor judgement, I managed to smash in 4 teeth (total) on my big ring. I've dremeled/sanded them down enough that they don't look like they're going to eat my chain. The 2 pairs of missing teeth are at 9:00 and 10:30, measured with the crank at 12:00.

Considering I don't use the big ring that much at all, do you guys think I can get away without replacing my big ring, or should I replace the big ring to avoid chain damage (even though, again, I rarely use the big ring and am even remotely considering going with a bashguard for my future moments of poor bike judgement.)

BTW, it's a RM Slayer used 85% for aggressive (meaning, I make angry faces) XC and 15% for passive (meaning, I make scared faces) dirt jumping.
I'm no expert, but if you don't use the big ring at all, I don't see what harm could come of leaving it in place. I use mine as a way to help build leg strength when I'm not on technical terrain, so I would probably get a new ring. But that's just me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
phUnk said:

I wouldn't worry about it. It might mis-shift if you shift it right at the point where the broken teeth are, rattle around a little and then catch. Since you don't really shift to the big ring under load much (atleast I don't), it shouldn't be much of a problem. My first ever MTB had an Altus crank that I broke 6 or 7 teeth off from gawd knows what (hard shifting, bashing on logs, who knows it was my learning bike :D ). Just ride it until it drives you nuts enough to replace it.
-Ryan

·
2,548 Posts
phUnk said:
used 85% for aggressive (meaning, I make angry faces) XC and 15% for passive (meaning, I make scared faces) dirt jumping.
LOL...great way with words, there...hahaha....
If you don't use the big ring much, I wouldn't worry 'bout it...it's probably even fine to use as is, if you avoid the large ring/larger cogs in the rear (like we're supposed to avoid doin' anyway, right ??) beings that the angle of the chainline might pull the chain down to the middle ring....but, save for the occasional possibility of funky shifting up to the big ring, hell, just use it and save your $$$ until it loses yet more teeth ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. I've dremeled/sandpapered the rotten teeth down and threw the ring back on. It seems to shift fine (I'd never shift under load to the big ring anyways) and the action is smooth. No catching or any other bad mojo on the chain around those teeth, so I'm going to leave it as is.

Now I just tell people that I "shaved those teeth off to save weight." :D

·
Registered
601 Posts
phUnk said:
Thanks all. I've dremeled/sandpapered the rotten teeth down and threw the ring back on. It seems to shift fine (I'd never shift under load to the big ring anyways) and the action is smooth. No catching or any other bad mojo on the chain around those teeth, so I'm going to leave it as is.

Now I just tell people that I "shaved those teeth off to save weight." :D

I run a 2x9 with 22/36 up the front. At the start I had some shifting problems and I thought it would be good for shifting to shave off a tooth at a strategic place near the pins. Anyway so I shaved a couple of teeth like you did and it didn't seem to give me any problems (though incidentally I can't say conclusively that it improved shifting).

However recently I switched drivetrain (rings, cassette, chain) and did the teeth shaving thing again and now I'm regretting it as sometimes when chain is cross chained in the 36 ring it tends to fall off at the spaces :( I don't know why it didn't do that last time and does it now but thought you might want to know about it especially since yours is big ring and chain gets even more cross chained in the big one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts