Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
That Unicycle Guy
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have a minor problem.

I am pretty much set on getting a new rim but I recently found out that the rim I want is only available in 32 hole. Not a problem for most bikers but this is for a unicycle and 32 hole hubs are quite hard to come by. My choice is either 36 or 48 hole hubs. I am thinking 48 would make a much more symmetrical build.

First I figured it would be real easy, just skip every third hole and you can use the same length spokes all round. Works great until you factor in the second flange and the fact that the sets of spokes will be twisted 1/3 of a hole position (when compared to a 32 hole hub)

So I was thinking spoke lengths calculated at 3 1/3 cross ±1/6 (for a 32 spoke wheel) so the sets would be 3.5 cross and 3.165 cross. I punched these numbers into a spoke calculator using a made up ERD and the dimensions for a hub I already have and came up with 269mm and 265.39mm I was surprised that there would be such a difference in length.

What I am wondering is if my numbers seem reasonable to all you guys. Also I was wondering if anyone has done it and if they ended up with even tension all around the rim. It seems to me there is no reason why it would not be but I have never built a wheel with mixed spoke lengths on the same flange before.

All the rims I have laying around are 36h so I can't try this out until I get the rim. Thanks in advance

ERIC

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
ericpulvermacher said:
Hey guys. I have a minor problem.

I am pretty much set on getting a new rim but I recently found out that the rim I want is only available in 32 hole. Not a problem for most bikers but this is for a unicycle and 32 hole hubs are quite hard to come by. My choice is either 36 or 48 hole hubs. I am thinking 48 would make a much more symmetrical build.

First I figured it would be real easy, just skip every third hole and you can use the same length spokes all round. Works great until you factor in the second flange and the fact that the sets of spokes will be twisted 1/3 of a hole position (when compared to a 32 hole hub)

So I was thinking spoke lengths calculated at 3 1/3 cross ±1/6 (for a 32 spoke wheel) so the sets would be 3.5 cross and 3.165 cross. I punched these numbers into a spoke calculator using a made up ERD and the dimensions for a hub I already have and came up with 269mm and 265.39mm I was surprised that there would be such a difference in length.

What I am wondering is if my numbers seem reasonable to all you guys. Also I was wondering if anyone has done it and if they ended up with even tension all around the rim. It seems to me there is no reason why it would not be but I have never built a wheel with mixed spoke lengths on the same flange before.

All the rims I have laying around are 36h so I can't try this out until I get the rim. Thanks in advance

ERIC
Should work fine. I have laced many 24 hole rims to 36 hole hubs. Made no adjustment to spoke length.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.