Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have FSA zs56/zs44 cups in my frame and dropped new Cane Creek bearings in but now the fork binds with even a small amount of tension on the pre load bolt. The clearance on the top cap is still around 3mm. I can’t think what it could be other than the cups?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
damned rocks...
2,640 Posts
Try to remove the top cap, install a stem spacer instead of the top cap, apply some preload and see it it binds.
When mismatching headset components even the seals may cause interference.

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
I have FSA zs56/zs44 cups in my frame and dropped new Cane Creek bearings in but now the fork binds with even a small amount of tension on the pre load bolt. The clearance on the top cap is still around 3mm. I can't think what it could be other than the cups?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Some of the bearings have different angles and will not seat properly into another manufacturers cup. I tried something similar with a Cane Creek and a Banshee headset (not sure who made the headset). The bearing would not fit properly in the Banshee cup. I had to remove the cup and use the Cane Creek one.

Your best but is to punch out the existing cup and press in a CC one.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some of the bearings have different angles and will not seat properly into another manufacturers cup. I tried something similar with a Cane Creek and a Banshee headset (not sure who made the headset). The bearing would not fit properly in the Banshee cup. I had to remove the cup and use the Cane Creek one.

Your best but is to punch out the existing cup and press in a CC one.
Yup this was the problem, works great with the proper cups. Thank you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.