Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done a real comparison of these 2 map sets? Specifically with regard to Colorado? I've been using the Misc. Junk one, and while it's good, it ain't great. Roads are difficult to decipher (color choice) and there just seems to be things missing. The update that they've done for Utah is a heckuva lot better and makes we wonder if their working on the update for CO?
Since I live her, I figure I can pony up the $50 if the maps are truly better.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,356 Posts
have you tried gpsfiledepot? I would not purchase maps for my gps considering that you can make your own for free if you are dissatisfied with what's available for sale elsewhere.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
www.MiscJunk.org has some of the maps from www.gpsfiledepot.com and the main difference I have found is that the GPS File Depot maps are setup for install to Mapsource so you can load them into the GPS. I have not looked at MiscJunk for a year or so and it might have changed. And GPS File Depot has so many more maps and excellent tutorials, I do not need another resource.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
right...

I actually thought misc. junk was gpsfiledepot because the 1st 4 or so files are direct links to misc. junk. After more searching I figured out reality. Each of the maps on there have elements of what I'm looking for, but not all together. I guess I'll either make do, or maybe buy above the timbers and hope for the best.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,356 Posts
teartags said:
I actually thought misc. junk was gpsfiledepot because the 1st 4 or so files are direct links to misc. junk. After more searching I figured out reality. Each of the maps on there have elements of what I'm looking for, but not all together. I guess I'll either make do, or maybe buy above the timbers and hope for the best.
Seriously...don't buy your maps. Make your own if you are dissatisfied. Chances are nobody else will have exactly what you're looking for...not even paid maps. The raw data is entirely free. Gpsfiledepot has tutorials on how to do this yourself. You can seriously make the contour intervals WHATEVER you want.

Just beware that you're not asking for too much. With maps, you have to be picky about what you include in any one map. With too much, the map will be too cluttered to be useful. Having overlays you can turn on/off is nice, but that's a very GIS thing right now. The closest I've seen for consumers is the Google Maps (and others) sat view/hybrid view.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.