Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a Minute 3 for about 6 weeks that I like a lot, very smooth action once past the platform. My problem is that I find the 130mm a bit tall on my bike (VT) and am having a tough time getting sag (I am looking for excessive sag to steepen the head angle) without compromising the plaform or the spring rate too much. Wondering if anyone else has any experience with this approach and what you've done about it. I weigh ~185 and am running about 85-90 in the main chamber and 65-70 in the SPV. Perhaps I should have gotten the Minute 1?

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
In what situation are you finding the head angle unsuitable?

The Minute One that comes on the VT1 and VT2 for 2004 is a special OEM version that has a range of 90mm to 120mm. I rode a VT1 on several rides last year and found it was fine in 120mm mode for any riding I did even if it was climbing or descending on tight switchbacks, but it was better in those situations with the fork adjusted down.

I have the aftermarket Minute One on my current bike and usually take the time to adjust down to 100mm for longer climbs or long twisty descents. Otherwise it stays at 130mm because it's so much fun to have that much travel.

The 2005 models that have the "Infinite Travel Adjust" feature sounds like they would be the best solution for you. The Minute One would also allow you to trim the travel to exactly where you want it. Of course you can trim the M3 to 100mm but it does require getting off the bike unless you're very flexible :D.

Maybe you could find someone willing to trade their OEM Minute One for your Minute 3. There was a guy on here recently talking about putting a 150mm fork on a VT:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=39463

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I just want it a little steeper for general use...I don't do anything crazy, and wish I could speed up the steering a bit. That IT switch looks interesting, but those are not going to be cheap. Maybe a retrofit will be possible. Also, the 100mm mode is very stiff, and not a 'real' travel option, I'd only use it for a long, smooth climb due to the increased spring rate

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
CJLED said:
I guess I just want it a little steeper for general use...I don't do anything crazy, and wish I could speed up the steering a bit. That IT switch looks interesting, but those are not going to be cheap. Maybe a retrofit will be possible. Also, the 100mm mode is very stiff, and not a 'real' travel option, I'd only use it for a long, smooth climb due to the increased spring rate
my $0.02. You want better steering in 130mm. When you set the suspension sag and pressure in the 130mm setting, the 100mm setting will feel too firm. If you set the fork up with the proper sag... in the 100mm travel setting, the 130mm settting may feel too soft. So, here's my suggestion. Set the travel in 100mm. Adjust the suspension sag with about 5-10 psi more air in the left leg than what is recommended for the amount of sag you would ideally want. Set the SPV setting as you would for a slightly bigger hit - maybe 5 psi more than what you normally would. The 100mm setting will be a bit on the firm side, but might provide the steering you want. When you go to 130mm, it may be a bit of the soft side but sag to the point where you like the steering.

Sounds like you want 130mm of travel (if 100mm isn't a 'real' option), but don't like the fork height. Any 130mm travel is going to put your front end at about the same height, so if you stick with your fork, it's either/or. Odd that your VT doesn't like the 130mm setting since that frame should be designed around a fork up to 130mm travel.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The problem with the 100mm setting is that the combination of SPV and the compressed spring is very stiff on the small stuff, otherwise I would try to utilize that more...the compressed spring is the main culprit here; even with the platform fully reduced it is still going to lack compliance in this setting.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
CJLED said:
The problem with the 100mm setting is that the combination of SPV and the compressed spring is very stiff on the small stuff, otherwise I would try to utilize that more...the compressed spring is the main culprit here; even with the platform fully reduced it is still going to lack compliance in this setting.
Yes, but only if you set the suspension with the fork in the 130 setting. My suggestion was to set the fork up with it in the 100mm travel setting. But if you do this the 130 setting may be too soft.

I faced the same problem you do on my bike - loved the 130mm travel, but didn't like the steering. My solution was to set up the suspension at 100mm travel for all-around riding. Then when I went to 130 for extended downhill sections, I'd have the travel, and it would be real plush.

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
CJLED said:
you're looking only at the fork travel, when you can change other things to accomplish what you want.

if you want quicker steering, there are several ways to achieve it. fork travel is the most indirect way.

the most direct ways (without getting a new frame with steeper head angle) are: narrower handlebar, lower hand position (through stem and through handlebar rise), shorter stem.

I think that you should experiment with many different things before concluding the fork is the problem.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been playing with some bar and stem options I had laying around, and don't want to deviate too much more there due to cockpit length. I'll play with the stem height a little more.

I'll also try setting the fork's main air spring pressure up in 100mm mode, and see if the compliance improves at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.