·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
] Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport
Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim
Tire Automotive tire Bicycle tire Spoke Bicycle wheel rim
Thought some of you might enjoy a pic of a newly acquired 1983 Ritchey Everest. This jewel was purchased from the original owners friend and is 100% original, except the tires....so if anyone knows where to find some NOS tires, let me know. I really think this bike was hardly ridden. The brake pads, rims, cogs and chain rings show almost no wear. What a rare find!

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm in florida, so you know this is probably the only one here. Story is a well known judge here bought this bike in 1983 for his beach house. He only road it a couple of times and never off road. He has since passed away and his friend acquired it, who then sold it. I didn't get it for a steal, but I still think a bargain.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I'm in florida, so you know this is probably the only one here. Story is a well known judge here bought this bike in 1983 for his beach house. He only road it a couple of times and never off road. He has since passed away and his friend acquired it, who then sold it. I didn't get it for a steal, but I still think a bargain.
Any price is a bargain for a barn find of that quality.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It really is a special bike. I had planned on actually riding it now and then, but I think it's extremely rare to find one with so little use. However, I can't help to cruise around the neighborhood every so often with a huge grin on my face!

·
Retro on Steroids
2,996 Posts
We sold a number of bikes to a federal judge in Florida. He even took out a resale license, just to buy bikes from us. Met the guy in Crested Butte in 1980, where he was doing some kayaking. He saw my bike and asked about it. I said, take it around the block one time.

He gets back and says how much? Over the next couple of years he bought close to a dozen bikes for his friends.

A year or so after I met the judge, we shipped a bike to a customer in Florida on Eastern Airlines, C.O.D. The recipient postdated the check by a year, then called us to taunt us about getting one over on us and getting the bike for nothing.

Our position was that Eastern Airlines had accepted the check on our behalf, and owed us the money. We didn't get anywhere with that claim, so I called the judge.

Eastern Airlines had its main offices in Florida. The judge knew the chairman personally, and promised, in his words, to "Rattle his cage."

Check arrived in a week.

I probably built the wheels on that bike. All the machine built wheels we used were on Shimano hubs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, I love the history! That's the guy! The serial number is 22A7. The wheels are as true as the day they were built! Such a beautiful bike..

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
I had planned on actually riding it now and then, but I think it's extremely rare to find one with so little use. However, I can't help to cruise around the neighborhood every so often with a huge grin on my face!
Ride it! Don't abuse it, but that thing was built to be ridden. :)

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
One thing...

There were a couple of options available on the bullmoose. Your bike has the "high rise" version, which in my opinion make the bikes handle pretty horribly. Keep your eyes open for a pair of the low rise bars and it will be more fun to ride.

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Thanks, I did notice that, it rides a little like a beach cruiser.
Yeah, I have a spare high rise stashed in my basement. I installed a low rise and I'm much happier. The paint on the bar doesn't match the paint on the frame, but it rides a lot nicer. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I havent seem too many of Ritchey bars come on the market, but every now an then I'll see one of the imports

1 - 20 of 25 Posts