Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I don't share all the same views as all 9er riders. I'm short and a weight weenie. But that shouldn't matter, I like big wheels and I like my Dos Niner.

What I don't like about my bike is the paint and it seems many hear have had similar opinions. You look at it wrong and pop another chip. Well I fixed that...For good.

Photos
1 - parts removed
2 - First section sprayed
3 - Front section taking action
4 - Seat Triangle going
5 - After first coat, notice that the 90% coverage in stickers is going to be work

Attachments

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Part 2

6 - the machined bits came off nicely
7 - after all the paint is gone it's dull
8 - after the polishing we see reflections
9 - the finished project
10 - and to appease the weight-weenie in me it even lost weight 3.65lbs

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Guess those MN winters are pretty long, eh? LOL Seriously, very nice job SKullman!

My current frame is natural Aluminum (ball burnished). I sure wish more mfgs would make their bikes this way. Not having paint chipping/scratching issues is a real plus. Kind of fun to polish up the frame now and then too!

Now the Dos Niner is currently the #1 candidate for my next ride. Seeing what you did is very inspiring and has me thinking of doing the same thing. Can you elaborate on what you used to strip the paint and then polish the bare frame? Oh yeah, what did it weigh painted?

Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
128 Posts
Shameless Plug

Paul1PA said:
Guess those MN winters are pretty long, eh? LOL
Not really.

Caution: Shameless Plug
You probably already know this, but there's a fairly large contingency in the Twin Cities that ride about 2-3x/week all winter. http://www.morcmtb.org/ Check the forums -> group rides. We are night snow riding tonight. There are also groups in Duluth and Rochester doing the same, plus newer groups forming in Grand Rapids and Mankato.

MORC is an MTB advocacy group, with about 700 paid members. Our volunteer trail workers and member dues/donations (used for tools and supplies) are what create and maintain most of the best single-track in the state.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
B.S. said:
Not really.

Caution: Shameless Plug
You probably already know this, but there's a fairly large contingency in the Twin Cities that ride about 2-3x/week all winter. http://www.morcmtb.org/ Check the forums -> group rides. We are night snow riding tonight. There are also groups in Duluth and Rochester doing the same, plus newer groups forming in Grand Rapids and Mankato.

MORC is an MTB advocacy group, with about 700 paid members. Our volunteer trail workers and member dues/donations (used for tools and supplies) are what create and maintain most of the best single-track in the state.
Funny I seem to have inadvertently struck a nerve, sorry.
This will be my 18th year racing my bicycle, my 12th as an Expert XC. I've been involved in some way promoting the racing community since '94. I do appritiate all the work the trail crews do for MN.
The fact is like being a slug in the winter, makes me more excited about racing through October. Too many MN riders burn out by August cause the Race schedulers insist on scheduling races in April. :skep:

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Wow! That's quite a project. Is the new weight of 3.65 pounds with shock? If so, that's pretty impressive. I believe most of the small Dos Niners posted on this forumin the past have been in the 3.95-4.05 pound range.

After all that paint is stripped off, I'd love to see that baby get anodized. But that's just me. Looks good as it is, too.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
Are you going to get a set of stickers to reapply over the bare frame. That would look sweet I think.
G

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sorry, no nerve struck. I was just looking for the opportunity to whoop up a good organization, and a fun group of people.

As a racer, you might consider the Chilly Chilli ice race on Jan 28. Just grab an old bike and put on some studs. I'll be racing it, but only for fun. For me, a victory will be not getting lapped by the winner.

BTW, cool job on the bike.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Paul1PA said:
Can you elaborate on what you used to strip the paint and then polish the bare frame? Oh yeah, what did it weigh painted?

Thanks,

Paul
I wish I could remember the pre weight, I took it out of the box and put it up right away, I know it was under 4 lbs stock, I think it was 3.89 or 3.92 something like that. It is a size small.

Anyway, items used. 1+ cans of spray on stripper, I've uses a few and they are all about the same. Since the frame was 90% covered with stickers they took some negotiating with Steel wool and extra spray. As you can see by a couple of the photos, the "Scandium" sticker on the bottom of the seat tube refused to be bothered by the spray, so I left it.

After all the paint and stickers were peeled off I went over it with #00 steelwool and tried to even out the scratches. I used a dremel with a wire wheel to get into the corners; cable guides, corner welds, shock mount, etc. It was amazing to see how much primer was on the frame. It was think and Yellow! All my chips were white...odd.

Then I cleaned the frame with acetone. I bought a cheap buff wheel mounted it to my corded drill and used the medium compound polish from the same hardware store. I didn't bother getting the more fine compound since it looked good enough for me.

I'm debating on getting a sticker kit and putting back on select stickers...maybe.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll probably be at the the Chilly Chilli race. I'll most likely be on my white Zion. I'm too lazy to stud up some tires, if there are any to borrow I might, otherwise I'll just slip around on the ACXs.

I've got an email into Chuck at Salsa for stickers, we'll see if he's got anything.

·
Registered
104 Posts
SKullman said:
I wish I could remember the pre weight, I took it out of the box and put it up right away, I know it was under 4 lbs stock, I think it was 3.89 or 3.92 something like that. It is a size small.

Anyway, items used. 1+ cans of spray on stripper, I've uses a few and they are all about the same. Since the frame was 90% covered with stickers they took some negotiating with Steel wool and extra spray. As you can see by a couple of the photos, the "Scandium" sticker on the bottom of the seat tube refused to be bothered by the spray, so I left it.

After all the paint and stickers were peeled off I went over it with #00 steelwool and tried to even out the scratches. I used a dremel with a wire wheel to get into the corners; cable guides, corner welds, shock mount, etc. It was amazing to see how much primer was on the frame. It was think and Yellow! All my chips were white...odd.

Then I cleaned the frame with acetone. I bought a cheap buff wheel mounted it to my corded drill and used the medium compound polish from the same hardware store. I didn't bother getting the more fine compound since it looked good enough for me.

I'm debating on getting a sticker kit and putting back on select stickers...maybe.
Thanks for all the great info! It will definitely help out if I ever try this someday. Sounds like you lost a good 100 grams of weight by stripping the paint. And I agree with the others, adding a few subtle Salsa decals would be a nice touch.

If you can, please post a follow-up picture after your Dos Niner is assembled. That would be cool to see!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Wow

SKullman, very impressed with how that came out! Seriously, that thing looks sweet. I was considering a paint job for my Dos, but that looks great. Never have been a big fan of the paint job on the Dos. I think it's all the squiggly lines.

Did you take off the head badge? I couldn't tell if it was on there or not. Also, about how long did it take?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've been gettin that oxidation question a lot.

I don't really have an answer. I've used a product called Never Dull on other frames and it seems to delay the oxidation. A friend was telling me about some motorcycle product, but the name eludes me. I'll post on any issues.

My buddy has my headset press so the build will have to wait until this weekend.

Oh and the head badge, it just peeled off, I'm probably going to put it back on, but I think I'll paint a red backgroud so the chilli stands out :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Built up yet?

I have an 06 Dos Niner, got it in November so it still looks (and is) new but I have bookmarked this thread so if the paint chips as bad as I have heard will definitely consider following your lead.
I would love to see what it looks like all built up, and do you have an estimate of how long the stripping took?
Thanks

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
If that is being used to race I think it should be illegal, you could blind the competition with that thing or seriously distract other racers while the oogle it. Nice job on the paint strip and polish.

That is not a legit excuse for not building up a frame, go check out Speedub.Nate's home made headset press article http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=130069
Skullman said:
My buddy has my headset press so the build will have to wait until this weekend.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Finally, it's above 0F

Ok, I'm a slacker, took me too long to get it this far, but hey, it's been -10F for the past week and a half...

Still missing the chain and a cable, but you get the idea. Threw the beater wheels on with the fat tires. Heading down to AZ in a 2 weeks so no need to wear out the race gear.

Attachments

·
Gold Member
Wrecker V2 / Nimble9
1,197 Posts
FYI: We used to sell this polish at my old mc shop that would "preserve" the polished look for up to 6mo.
For the love of me I can not remember the name of it, but the bike show guys swore by it as they didn't have to worry about polishing the oxidation off after every use or when it got wet.

So you may be able to search the net for it. I used Mother's Metal Polish on my C'dale fork and it looks pretty good 2 months later, even after some snow rides.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.