Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Easy to say YES, also yes 3/4 times a year. Some of my Favorite rides when I started my re interest in Mountain biking after a brief stint in back country coneing in Alg or Temagami . I took several people up there and they loved the complete loop and all returned with there friends and families after I showed them in 98+-. Too bad it only needed minor work when I asked park staff , but the washed out start which I attempted with my 8 yr old 3 years ago was not a bike trail!! They are missing the boat huge on this with fat bikes, back country bike camping popping up ever where. The northern part abandoned rail line ( rode it when rails were in) was awesome over night trip east west. With places like Kindom trails VT ( going for a week next week) supporting towns , Moab, Rayston Lake PA. And others , Algonquin should be a target. Nope. Worry about Hwy 7 south.....
This is great, keep 'em coming. I could work these responses into a letter to park managers. I do good letter.

·
Registered
516 Posts

There is much potential in APP but there is already so much more better MTBing closer to major centres, I am not sure if the effort is worth it. I live in Huntsville and I would sooner drive to Buckwallow or Torrance Barrens than APP for MTB. Or ride a local snowmobile trail, which will be more rideable than Minnesing and accessible right from my house.

So here is the question for those of you in Southern Ontario: if there was a modern singletrack MTB trail system in Algonquin Park, would you make the effort to ride there more than once?
Potential, indeed. The angle that I like is it's just bigger. Way bigger. So one would ideally imagine a trail network that isn't shoehorned into a smaller space, switchbacks all bundled together like intestines. That's a legitimate value proposition in my view. I've taken multiple two-day 480 km roundtrip weekends to Algonquin in the course of any one calendar year, but it's just not a day trip from southern Ontario. Enough trail for a two-day weekend would be ideal. A three-day bike-packing loop? Ride-in campsites for base-camping? Trails with chest-deep fords or actual raft ferries? Groomed fat-biking trail in the winter? Welcome to the front of the forward-looking pack. But failing that, with a single day's worth of singletrack riding I think you have to consider whether cyclists would spend a day utilizing the existing opportunities for either hiking skiing or canoe-paddling for the second day of a weekend, or third of a long weekend. I would, but I'm not sure if that is true for most.

·
Registered
567 Posts
So here is the question for those of you in Southern Ontario: if there was a modern singletrack MTB trail system in Algonquin Park, would you make the effort to ride there more than once?
Yep, I'd be there a few times a year during our camping trips. The rail trail is great but a bit boring.

If it's open in winter for fatties I'd strongly consider a winter camping trip as well.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I'll take my rail trail bears large, but at a distance! (sure wish I had packed the zoom lens that day)

DSC_0301e.jpg

21 - 27 of 27 Posts