Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
IMO, the old Nevegal was an unpredictable tire. It would let loos in cornering all at once, which made for a punishing front tire. I've been running Minion DHF's ever since I discovered them As a front tire, they work. I actually like Ardents for the rear tire. Less rolling resistance, and a pretty good grip as well. They tend to break loose under lateral force sooner than the Minions, which suits my klutzy style of riding well.

Nevegals also seem to wear faster than the Maxxis tires.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
IMO, the old Nevegal was an unpredictable tire. It would let loos in cornering all at once, which made for a punishing front tire. I've been running Minion DHF's ever since I discovered them As a front tire, they work. I actually like Ardents for the rear tire. Less rolling resistance, and a pretty good grip as well. They tend to break loose under lateral force sooner than the Minions, which suits my klutzy style of riding well.

Nevegals also seem to wear faster than the Maxxis tires.
People used to cut out the intermediate lugs to deal with what you're describing. Basically turned the nev into a DHF style pattern with a defined drift zone that removed that grip to slip feel in the corners. I personanlly liked the nev at first back in the day but I didn't understand tread patterns very well. I woudn't run them if they were free now, but that's just because I"m picky about tires. It wasn't an awful tire, I just know what I like now and it's not the nevegal.

OP, saving money on tires isn't a great idea unless you are a very causual rider. Tires play such a big roll. The DHR and F rolls nearly as fast as the nev and both do everything else better. My guess is you wont' enjoy the ride nearly as much. Is saving 20 bucks worth that?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.