Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got 2, 1/4 inch gashes hitting a rock with my Minion EXO DHF running tubeless at 30 psi on the rear of my bike. I pulled the tire off to see if I could patch them up and the casing seems awfully thin. I love the Minion, but maybe these aren't burly enough for me. My front tire is a single ply Muddy Mary Snakeskin and it has served me well for 413 miles riding the same trail numerous times. Also had a Muddy Mary on the rear for a couple hundred miles with no problems. The minion only made it 70 miles. I'm wondering if this is just bad luck, or if I should look for a different tire. Any input?
P.S. The gashes were in the spaces between the outside lugs, not the sidewall.

· Registered
3,353 Posts
This was my experience with the EXO too. I got about 4 rides out of the rear before a hole was punched in the thin casing. They are anything but tough. I now run specialized sx tires. The casing is perfection IMO. Perfect compromise between full DH and single ply. 2.3 is basically the same size as a minion 2.5. The butcher is basically a minion rip off, so try a butcher sx if you like the minion tread pattern. I've been running a chunder 2.5 in the back and clutch 2.5 up front. I like the butcher but it has a more round profile and doesn't spread out well on my rims. I believe the 2.3 sx's weigh around 1000g, 2.5 is around 1070g.

I wish other companies would offer a similar casing because spec tires can be tough to find. You often have to go through a dealer.

· Registered
3,353 Posts
You'll probably have to go through a specialized dealer. They are tight with distribution, chances are you won't find any discounted prices anywhere. I would contact your closest spec dealer and have them order a tire if they don't have them in stock. There's a few used butchers on pinkbike right now if you want to go that route.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.