Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
10 yr old daughter on a Specialized 24 Riprock, White and Pink of course. Had new tires put on yesterday and they are massive.

Original Specialized Big Roller tires measured 2.69 at their widest after stretching out for a year or two.

Casing on the new Vee Crown Gem is 2.8 and the outside knobs are 2.92" six hours after install. May grow even larger after stretching over time.

This did move the treads rather aggressive side knobs a tenth of an inch closer to the chain. (Went from 30T to a 26T crank with same chain)
She's not jumping or drifting but does unintentionally get a little air from time to time, monster trucks obstacles, and I've seen her chain dancing alot before the bigger tires.

How much clearance is generally considered minimum?

Attachments

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Now that's a welcome change from most tyres only measuring out to claimed size or smaller :D Seriously, kids aren't known for being the best at following rules/advice, so you want to give them a good bit of leeway to err. On my Unit running 3" tyres, I only have about 4mm of clearance when in the largest cog and middle chainring, so have to be careful of if it's muddy that it can easily pick up mud off the tyre and then other debris because of the mud. I'd say make sure you have at least 5mm minimum for instances like that or wheel/tyre wobble that might/could develop.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, I know right. Definitely not using the Maxxis Measuring Tape. I just got a Marin Rift Zone 2, through the mail, that comes with the same Vee Crown Gem in 2.3" tires. I was already shopping for tires before the bike arrived thinking its 2.3 tires would measure 2.15 and look like road bike tires and have no volume. My Beast of the East is pictured with my daughters bike above. Surprisingly they were understated measuring a fat 2.35" wide as well. Enough volume to comfort the transition from plus bike to full suspension. I still have to see how they hook up. Been rained out for a while now.

I will keep her chain lubed well and look for evidence of rubbing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Must of had a brain fart after a long day of work. I just realized something here after looking at my own post. I'm not even in the lowest gear yet. The chain is still in the middle of cassette and it's already close to the tire. I might have a real problem here.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it in 2nd also. Spacers on bottom bracket? Can pedal backwards even in 1st gear, Bigest Sprocket and chain does not fall off so maybe a little room there.

What else besides buying the smaller specialized tires again?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Cheapest option is to buy a new tyre that isn't as wide, sorry. If you like the extra width and cush, you could check into a new crank with wider chainline to what's on there already, or if it's an external, adding a spacer to the DS to move the ring out. Put your kid on the bike and let them move their feet out on the pedals to see how a wider crank would feel before you go that route though.

Okay I got home from work today and put the bike in first gear. The chain hits the tire. Lightly, but makes contact. Suggestions?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Was able to to get to get Stef at Bike Tech in Fort Lauderdale to play around with it a little getting a spacer to the drive side and I did it free up enough to put the bag Vee tires back on it. Also set it up tubless to get some of the added weight off from these monsters. She lost about a half pound according to the luggage scale by going tubless. Rained out right now but my daughter did ride around the house and over our tree roots a bit. She thought the tires were monsterous.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.