Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always been on bikes that were too small for me, relatively speaking. I have been on Cannondale large in various models for about a dozen years. I have always needed a long stem and long seatpost. On my last ride (A Jekyll) I set it up with a Thompson layback seatpost and I STILL wanted to push the post beyond the max insertion. The Jumbo in Cannondale is way too big, so . . .

One thing led to another. I have a Litespeed road bike that I like and I decided to buy a Litespeed Unicoi on ebay. I got a good deal, but now the bike I'm SUPPOSED to be on looks mighty big. The standover is 3-4 inches. Wrench Science, Competitive Cyclist and other sources all tell me I belong on a 19 inch (c to c) frame. I have 35 inch inseam at 6'1." This bike is exactly the right size, but I'm a little worried about, um, damaging the nether parts. Do any of you ride mountain bike with this limited standover?

Incidentally, the ride "around town" is comfortable, but I have not hit the trails yet.

My apologies if I'm in the wrong formum for this question. If so please advise.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Erm it really depends on what your riding style is.

I have been riding my dads marin, its a 20" and my plums rest on the frame when i stand on it..... its a great comfortable ride, i really enjoy it on the trails but not so great for the future generation should i fall off and hurt myself :)

For my new bike, a cove stiffee, i have gone for the 17.5" frame. Its gonna give me maybe 2-3" standover and will be alot more chuckable in the trails and nicer on the big stuff. I WILL have to go for a longer + taller stem to make it fit me but thats the tradeoff.

When i ride my friends 17" scott i feel like im gonna fall over the handlebars!!! No doubt this weekend when my bike is ready i will have to play around with the stem/bars a bit before i take it out the shop.

·
Registered
834 Posts
3 - 4 inches standover clearance is way generous. I don't know of any instance when you plant both your feet on the ground while straddling the top tube between your legs except when you are actually sitting on the top tube while talking with friends. When you dismount for any reason, you unfasten one foot from the pedal and lean the bike on *that* leg. Even when climbing steep hills, if you need to bail out, bail out on one side not by planting both legs on the ground. Planting both feet while waiting for, say a red light to turn green, happens only on motorcycles - where you have the engine to propel you forward.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
I have relatively short legs, so a bike that is long enough, usually has little stand-over. When I get off the bike or fall, I never fall straight on the tube. I go to the side. When I go over the bars, no amount of stand-over is going to stop me from hitting the rear of the stem...

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Minimum Standover, cont.

I appreciate all of the feedback. I think I may be a victim of the LBS where I got my first serious bike, circa 1990. (remember Alpinestars, anyone?) "If you are between frame sizes go with the smaller bike." Strikes me I have always had 5-6+ standover on my bikes. Now when I have the "right" size it seems too big.

Actually, I have a compact road frame and it is almost exactly the same size as the MTB frame.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
It's about "fit"

I think that while the issue of standover is important, it's not nearly as important as overall fit. I have a short inseam, and the standover on my f/s rig is between 1 and 2 inches. The bike fits me perfectly when I'm in the cockpit, so this is the size I need, IMO. Is there the possibility of hurting myself in a crash or awkward dismount? Absolutely. Just as much as if I were to fly OTB (like I do almost every ride). I wouldn't sweat it. Make sure your feet can tocuh the ground with some breathing room between the boys and the top tube and I believe you'll be fine.

Just my read on things.

Bob

·
Registered
94 Posts
Call_me_Clyde said:
I think that while the issue of standover is important, it's not nearly as important as overall fit. I have a short inseam, and the standover on my f/s rig is between 1 and 2 inches. The bike fits me perfectly when I'm in the cockpit, so this is the size I need, IMO. Is there the possibility of hurting myself in a crash or awkward dismount? Absolutely. Just as much as if I were to fly OTB (like I do almost every ride). I wouldn't sweat it. Make sure your feet can tocuh the ground with some breathing room between the boys and the top tube and I believe you'll be fine.

Just my read on things.

Bob
This is right on. I have never owned a bike with more than 2" of clearance. The TT has to fit you, standover is far down the list. It depends on frame design, fork travel etc. Don't buy (or not buy) a bike because of the standover height, unless you can't touch the ground and your teetering on the TT :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.