Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont want to have pack or saddle bag for my emergency kit during races so want to strap whatever i need to the frame. Whats the minimum kit you carry for a cat 2 race? Tube, tire plugs, 1 or 2 CO2 cartridges, inflator, tire levers?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yeah for shorter laps of xco races I just take 1 co2 and a tiny plug kit. Don't bother with a tube. Will just walk back and call it a day. race is done if you have to spend the time putting a tube in. I've randomly burped tyres off drops etc and that quick burst of c02 is a life saver and only lose 10-15 seconds or so.

For marathons etc ill add a second co2 and strap tube to bottom of seat with multitool and levers etc. Use first c02 and plug to try to fix tyre. if that fails use tube and second c02 to limp to finish.

·
Armature speller
Unit, Anthem, Stumpy, Secteur
4,473 Posts
Tube strapped to back of seat for longer races.
Micro pump (or CO2), levers, DynaPlug tool, multitool in soft glasses bag with drawstring in jersey pocket.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I dont want to have pack or saddle bag for my emergency kit during races so want to strap whatever i need to the frame. Whats the minimum kit you carry for a cat 2 race? Tube, tire plugs, 1 or 2 CO2 cartridges, inflator, tire levers?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
All these things have happened to me in races, so if I had all of them I would always keep going quickly.

Chain tool (can be removed from a larger tool for weight.)
Quick links
Dynaplug racer (this thing is amazing and takes
under 15 seconds to get going again) 3 extra plugs.
http://www.dynaplug.com/racer.html

2 16 c02 with screw on valve almost puncturing one of them and taped.

I tape my co2 together head to toe, and will also tape the links to them using breakaway clear medical tape. It leaves no mess and can be used to tape stuff to your bars too. It's better than electrical tape. https://www.exmed.net/p-1169-3m-tra...pvveym5m7klalmty5p-etuwlhtgajg2caasyeealw_wcb

Marathons or must finish races:

I'm more likely to take a tube in a marathon race as the plugs and orange seal. will pretty much take care of things. I can't tell you how much better orange seal is than Stan's!

If needed, I will take a tube and Pedro's or KMC tire levers in a swat tool barrel. The KMC are great because they have a built in chain plier.

Do not get caught with your pants down. DNFing with a broken chain. I have even won a race after busting a chain and repairing it. Carrying two sets of links is not a bad idea. If one is breaking, another may be soon to follow.

2 zip ties for good measure for who knows what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
I always have a tube, plugs, Co2 and multi-tool. Even if I flat and am out of contention I am going to put a tube in and finish. Last thing I want is to travel to race and only race for 20 minutes.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Sealant inflators seem to be a good idea for shorter lap based races. It is super quick to use a product like GUP, even easier than CO2, and more likely to seal small holes. GUP + dynaplug should take care of most tubeless tire issues and you are not going to loose much time.

Longer non-lap based races I always take a tube, CO2, small multi-tool, tire levers, link, tape/zip ties. The normal things I would take for a longer weekend ride. Even If I'm out of contention I don't want to be an unnecessary burden on the organizers.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I have had so little trouble with tires I've stopped carrying an extra tube, but I do carry CO2 just in case of a burp, I hit something sharp first race of the season and got a puncture, but the sealant slowed the leak enough that I finished with a slightly low tire.
I also a very small multi-hex tool and a chain tool & extra quick link.
It's a good idea to tape the most common (or two) size hex wrench to your stem, and then it's right there if you need it; digging through your back pocket or bag for a tool seems to take forever, but having the wrench on your stem to adjust your bars after a small crash is super handy and quick.
Check every fastener the night before, look over your chain (don't run an old, or a new chain with less than a couple of hours on it), and odds are you won't need any tools.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,775 Posts
I do both longer and shorter races, most of the time it's a tube, CO2, bacon plugs and inserter, patch of two for the tube, small tool with a chain breaker. Quick link. Helped out a pro after my race a few weeks ago because his chain broke. He had a quick link, but he couldn't punch out the damaged link pins, which is kind of required for a lot of chain repair.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
1. XC race, lap format: 1 CO2 and head. That's it.

2. Marathon w/lap format: Same as above, maybe a small multitool

3. Marathon or 100 miler w/ long loop or point to point: 2 CO2, head, small multitool, tire lever (wrapped in gorilla tape), tube.

I did carry 2 spare tubes at Ouachita, luckily didn't need either.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
Like others...depends on the length of the race and distance from my vehicle.

I carry my multi-tool on all races. Longer ones, I carry a tube (or 2 if 100K,etc), CO2's, levers and hope for the best. I also wrap my tube(s).

·
Category Winner
6,130 Posts
I carry all my smaller tools in a Tülbag in my center jersey pocket. I got super bored and took them all to work to weigh them once.

https://teamdicky.blogspot.com/2017/06/killing-thyme.html

Small chain tool w/spare link

Dyna Air (plug and CO2 head) w/spare tire plugs

Tire boot w/some Gorilla tape

You'd be surprised how handy some Gorilla tape can be. I've busted it out more times than I can remember.

And a 5mm Allen with needed bits from a multi-tool (I've since added a 3mm for my seat collar and 10mm for my Cane Creek cranks)

I'll have one 20 gram CO2 with the head installed (and spaced to not puncture), a tire lever, and a tube wrapped in a Tube Tarp attached with a Race Strap to the underside of my saddle, along with one CO2 on a mount next to my bottle cage. The basic idea being to use the Dynaplug Air with one next to the cage if I'm plugging, the one with the tube if things don't look so great for a plug.

The shortest thing I'll ever race is short track. Obviously, all the tools and tubes come off. No matter what, I'm a short walk to the car and the race is probably over, being that the time gaps are way too close to fix a flat/do a repair. I don't race a lot of XC (hardly ever), but I'd wanna finish it out if possible. Racing is still training IMHOMO. Since most of my races are on the endurance side of XC, I'll take a slight amount of pared-down overkill.

CO2 mounted on the opposite side, seat tube bottle cage

·
Registered
833 Posts
Like others...depends on the length of the race and distance from my vehicle.

I carry my multi-tool on all races. Longer ones, I carry a tube (or 2 if 100K,etc), CO2's, levers and hope for the best. I also wrap my tube(s).
+1

Couple of additional points:

A sealant inflator (fix-a-flat , GUP etc) weighs the same as a CO2 cartridge + connector, is easier to use and can seal small leaks if you happen to have dried-up sealant in the tires

A slightly modified Ritchey CPR-9 is the best bailout minimalist tool that I have found, this little guy has a surprisingly good access to hard to reach bolts like brake mounts, inline seatpost bolts etc. and weight next to nothing.
https://www.wigglesport.it/ritchey-cpr-9-lightweight-multi-tool/

At "must finish" races I always carry a minipump, tube, tire and tube patches, 2 chain links and a couple of cleat bolts

fab

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.