Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,161 Posts
Good stuff.
Is that a super tini Turner frame I see?

Werner

·
alien exchange student
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes!

Good eye. Yes, it's a Turner with 24" wheels. It has been fantastic to watch him develop a love for riding.

Cheers!

Mel

wg said:
Good stuff.
Is that a super tini Turner frame I see?

Werner

·
Card Carrying Member
2,032 Posts
Fast Eddy said:
No doubt. I wish I had the buckcholas to get one of those for Fast Eddy Jr.
Why Turner? No Jr of mine is getting a Turner before I do. :D Just get this Jamis in 12" from Jensonusa. I'm ordering one next week.

$109 disc ready (24" wheels...)

·
alien exchange student
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That looks sweet too!

Howdy, that looks like a great frame too. The discs have been a great thing - they really helped to inspire confidence on tougher downhills. Riser bars are also really helpful if you can make it work. We weren't able to get ideal standover but the cockpit position is really good.

Cheers!

Mel

kitchenware said:
Why Turner? No Jr of mine is getting a Turner before I do. :D Just get this Jamis in 12" from Jensonusa. I'm ordering one next week.

$109 disc ready (24" wheels...)

·
Card Carrying Member
2,032 Posts
Couple of questions for ya...

What rim are you guys running there? and what length cranks?

I recently tried to get my daughter (9) on a very small Kona, but she was barely getting any standover, so we decided to wait and try later. So, I got this idea to build up some 24" wheels to solve that problem and then I remembered that not EVERY frame has disc tabs. :rolleyes: That's about when I noticed this frame at Jenson. Now, today, your post makes me feel like I might be on the right track. That bike just looks so much more proportional with the 24" wheels. I'm excited to get this project underway, might even push my new FS back a little for it.

·
alien exchange student
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's the build up

Hi, the rims are Sun Rhyno Lites (done with discs). The cranks are Sugino XD 165 mm. I think shorter might be a little better but he has no problem pedalling. We went with a SID fork set as light as you can. It actually works well. We went grip shift (we cut them down) and tiny riser bars. We took the big ring off. I have him using the rear derailleur a lot but he's still not used to using the front. I'll be replacing the rear one pretty soon likely as it is taking abuse. I'd recommend going with something like a Sora (road) with a short cage - that will be our next try.

Cheers!

Mel

·
avg. joe
657 Posts
Awesome...

Way to go on the new rider!

My oldest just moved from her single speed to a 6 speed. I want to start planning for her next ride, which I will probably build up, similar to what you are doing. Can you drop a pic of the bike once you have it finished?

Thanks.

·
beer thief
4,923 Posts
Other considerations....

I'm a big proponent of 26" wheels - they just roll so much smoother over rocks & roots (I know you don't have roots in CO...), as well as being faster for the same effort.

My daughter just turned 10 and has been battling my son (almost 12) for Mom's small Juliana. We went to Fruita & Moab in April and I was amazed at the stuff they were riding. Anyway, both of their bikes have Gripshift, and both of them much prefer the Rapidfire on the Juli. I built it to be light - Bonty Valiant rims, Manitou SX Ti fork (< 3 lbs.), Monkeylight carbon bars (uncut at 24", compared to stock 23" wide risers on their bikes), light Michelin tires. I used 170 mm cranks because I had some kicking around and they haven't seemed to be too long.

Anyway, just more stuff to think about. It's a major blast riding "adult" trails with your kids.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts