Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently use a Camelbak Flash Flo LR hip pack for most of my rides. I also have a Camelbak Mule for all day big trips.

I love the idea of a hippack for hydration, but my Camelbak Flash Flo LR is still a bit larger than I need. I don’t carry THAT much when i ride nowadays.

What is the most streamlined hydration waist pack with the following criteria?

- 1L bladder capacity or so
- Just enough room to carry a multi-tool and small backcountry research Tulbag
- I do NOT want a pack that carries water bottles
- Streamlined comfortable fit

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Most anything that is going to be a hip pack below 1.5-2L (space not water) is not going to have a reservoir and will only carry bottles. If you want a reservoir you are most likely going to have to step up to the larger packs, if not then something that carries bottles is your weapon of choice.

Only one that I can think of that is fairly small but still has a smallish reservoir is the Evoc Hip Pack Pro, want to say that is 3L size though.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Most anything that is going to be a hip pack below 1.5-2L (space not water) is not going to have a reservoir and will only carry bottles. If you want a reservoir you are most likely going to have to step up to the larger packs, if not then something that carries bottles is your weapon of choice.

Only one that I can think of that is fairly small but still has a smallish reservoir is the Evoc Hip Pack Pro, want to say that is 3L size though.
I actually have that Evoc pack on it's way back to amazon. That was still larger than I'd like.

I have two that you can consider minimalist:

https://www.jensonusa.com/Dakine-Shuttle-6L-Pack

and I just got this one, for group rides and because the Dakine is a bit worn. (normally I'm packless on solo rides)

https://www.jensonusa.com/Camelbak-Ratchet-Pack

Edit: Out of the 2, the Dakine is shorter, more compact (even though it says 6L) the Ratchet is thinner a bit longer. (black is on sale for $44.99)
Those are backpacks, I'm looking for a HIP/WAIST pack

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
I also have the dakine hot laps 2L. While it's not a hydration pack, I find the size perfect for short rides where you just need the essentials... and if needed can carry a bottle. It's also only $40.
Correct, the 2L is not a hydration pack (no bladder) where as the 5L has one. My buddy runs the 5L and like I said, it seems quite a bit smaller than my Evoc Pro which is supposedly a 3L.

·
4,286 Posts
Has anyone taken a generic hip pack (not meant for hydration per se) and added their own hydration system? Seems that something like a Platypus 1L soft bottle, hose & bite valve would meet the "minimalist" profile if you had a decent pack to put it in.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,914 Posts
get your pack
get some other lame pack
find local seamstress/dress maker/costume maker
talk about what you want
can seamstress do it ? probably get a mad custom pack right here

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Has anyone taken a generic hip pack (not meant for hydration per se) and added their own hydration system? Seems that something like a Platypus 1L soft bottle, hose & bite valve would meet the "minimalist" profile if you had a decent pack to put it in.
That's exactly what I've been thinking of doing, I was just hoping someone had this sorted out already without me having to 'rig' something

·
4,286 Posts

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,428 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
The Dakine Hot Laps that does have hydration (5L apparently) is a great size, I think.

If I'm not greedy it's plenty of water for a fairly demanding 3-4 hour ride and enough room for basic tools to cover every potential situation and my phone. I strap a tube and CO2 under my saddle.

I don't consider it big at all. I barely notice it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.