Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently use a Camelbak Flash Flo LR hip pack for most of my rides. I also have a Camelbak Mule for all day big trips.

I love the idea of a hippack for hydration, but my Camelbak Flash Flo LR is still a bit larger than I need. I don’t carry THAT much when i ride nowadays.

What is the most streamlined hydration waist pack with the following criteria?

- 1L bladder capacity or so
- Just enough room to carry a multi-tool and small backcountry research Tulbag
- I do NOT want a pack that carries water bottles
- Streamlined comfortable fit

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just got an osprey seral yesterday. So far it's pretty nice. Roomy for sure. I'll report back after riding with it. It definitely feels more stable than my current dakine hot laps 2L.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just got an osprey seral yesterday. So far it's pretty nice. Roomy for sure. I'll report back after riding with it. It definitely feels more stable than my current dakine hot laps 2L.
Osprey makes GREAT gear, I have a couple of their packs, but the Seral is definitely much larger than what I’m looking for.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Most anything that is going to be a hip pack below 1.5-2L (space not water) is not going to have a reservoir and will only carry bottles. If you want a reservoir you are most likely going to have to step up to the larger packs, if not then something that carries bottles is your weapon of choice.

Only one that I can think of that is fairly small but still has a smallish reservoir is the Evoc Hip Pack Pro, want to say that is 3L size though.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Most anything that is going to be a hip pack below 1.5-2L (space not water) is not going to have a reservoir and will only carry bottles. If you want a reservoir you are most likely going to have to step up to the larger packs, if not then something that carries bottles is your weapon of choice.

Only one that I can think of that is fairly small but still has a smallish reservoir is the Evoc Hip Pack Pro, want to say that is 3L size though.
I actually have that Evoc pack on it’s way back to amazon. That was still larger than I’d like.

I have two that you can consider minimalist:

https://www.jensonusa.com/Dakine-Shuttle-6L-Pack

and I just got this one, for group rides and because the Dakine is a bit worn. (normally I'm packless on solo rides)

https://www.jensonusa.com/Camelbak-Ratchet-Pack

Edit: Out of the 2, the Dakine is shorter, more compact (even though it says 6L) the Ratchet is thinner a bit longer. (black is on sale for $44.99)
Those are backpacks, I’m looking for a HIP/WAIST pack

·
Registered
82 Posts
Osprey makes GREAT gear, I have a couple of their packs, but the Seral is definitely much larger than what I’m looking for.
I also have the dakine hot laps 2L. While it's not a hydration pack, I find the size perfect for short rides where you just need the essentials... and if needed can carry a bottle. It's also only $40.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
I also have the dakine hot laps 2L. While it's not a hydration pack, I find the size perfect for short rides where you just need the essentials... and if needed can carry a bottle. It's also only $40.
Correct, the 2L is not a hydration pack (no bladder) where as the 5L has one. My buddy runs the 5L and like I said, it seems quite a bit smaller than my Evoc Pro which is supposedly a 3L.

·
One ring to mash them all
2,639 Posts
Has anyone taken a generic hip pack (not meant for hydration per se) and added their own hydration system? Seems that something like a Platypus 1L soft bottle, hose & bite valve would meet the "minimalist" profile if you had a decent pack to put it in.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
6,223 Posts
get your pack
get some other lame pack
find local seamstress/dress maker/costume maker
talk about what you want
can seamstress do it ? probably get a mad custom pack right here

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Has anyone taken a generic hip pack (not meant for hydration per se) and added their own hydration system? Seems that something like a Platypus 1L soft bottle, hose & bite valve would meet the "minimalist" profile if you had a decent pack to put it in.
That’s exactly what I’ve been thinking of doing, I was just hoping someone had this sorted out already without me having to ‘rig’ something

·
One ring to mash them all
2,639 Posts

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,424 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
The Dakine Hot Laps that does have hydration (5L apparently) is a great size, I think.

If I'm not greedy it's plenty of water for a fairly demanding 3-4 hour ride and enough room for basic tools to cover every potential situation and my phone. I strap a tube and CO2 under my saddle.

I don't consider it big at all. I barely notice it.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I just tuck a 1 L bladder in my middle jersey pocket. Works great. I use a 1/2 L when its not too hot or for shorter rides.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts