Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a KCNC Scandium Ti Pro Lite Seatpost in 30.9mm x 350mm long. Seems like a nice well-made post. Claimed weight on the box is 159g, actual weight on my scales is 148g which makes for a nice change on manufacturer's claimed weights. Fairly good value for $100. Further tuning options are limited as it comes with Ti bolts already. Alu cradle weighs 13g, possible minor weight-loss with a carbon cradle.

More pics and misc dribblings here

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts
Here is my review of the KCNC Ti Pro Lite seatpost after about 1 year's racing.

1.) It's light = good
2.) The clamps on it suck = bad. Because the saddle slips on the rails even when it is torqued to 4Nm as specified. The lower craddle does not have enough clamp support so it bends the rails of the saddle even with the saddle centred.
3.) it now comes in colors = good

i would choose something else,

·
Registered
594 Posts
Cheers! said:
Here is my review of the KCNC Ti Pro Lite seatpost after about 1 year's racing.
2.) The clamps on it suck = bad. Because the saddle slips on the rails even when it is torqued to 4Nm as specified. The lower craddle does not have enough clamp support so it bends the rails of the saddle even with the saddle centred.

i would choose something else,
I have one on my AIR 9... no problems with a solid Ti Rail saddle.

·
Hack Racer
2,559 Posts

This is what happened to my.

This was after I had the front bolt head snap off (which I was told was because the hex was cut too deep for the socket head cap screw, which was a quality issue that KCNC was having with their Ti bolts). That got replaced and a couple of months after I had to retire both.

·
Banned
1,681 Posts
We purchased the same exact post (30.9x350mm) for my wife's XC race bike (for about $75), and have had no problems so far. Of course, she only weighs about 100 pounds or so.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Cheers! said:

This is what happened to my.

This was after I had the front bolt head snap off (which I was told was because the hex was cut too deep for the socket head cap screw, which was a quality issue that KCNC was having with their Ti bolts). That got replaced and a couple of months after I had to retire both.
The SLR has hollow rails. I have one that actually kinked where the clamp goes on it. That was with an Easton seat post BTW.

I think with the hollow rails you want a clmp like the Thomson.

·
Banned
1,681 Posts
We use an SLR (with Vanox rails) on my wife's bike and have had no issues. Maybe it's because she only weighs about 100 pounds.

Seems to me that what might be a WW part for a 185 pound rider is probably not a WW part for a 100 pound rider.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,914 Posts
It looks like the cradles would be the same, in which case you could also substitute a thomson's.

·
Registered
183 Posts
DeeEight said:
It looks like the cradles would be the same, in which case you could also substitute a thomson's.
I had a very quick muck around with a Thomson Masterpiece cradle and KCNC seatpost late one afternoon and it wouldn't fit. I did mean to have a proper look at it one day but never got round to it.

I have killed a carbon railed SLR saddle on this seatpost (after a crash) - I have now got a Ti saddle on both my hardtail & dually which have been fine so far. The hardtail saddle slips forward constantly but the dually has been rock solid.

I'm in the process of switching to Thomson. I'd happily sacrifice some weight on the KCNC for a more solid cradle cause the post itself is very strong for it's weight.

·
10,914 Posts
I'm thinking about ordering one of the eXotic carbon posts off ebay. They're reasonably priced, light for the diameter/length i need (173g for 31.6 x 300mm) and the lower cradle is a full rail support like the syncros/thomson ones.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
DeeEight said:
I'm thinking about ordering one of the eXotic carbon posts off ebay. They're reasonably priced, light for the diameter/length i need (173g for 31.6 x 300mm) and the lower cradle is a full rail support like the syncros/thomson ones.

Wish this came in 27.2x375 or longer.
G

·
Registered
183 Posts
D8 - if you get one of those Exotic seatposts can you post up a review/actual weights etc? I have one of their carbon forks for my commuter and it's been great so I expect these to be the same.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was interested in ordering the KCNC Ti lite seatpost. I weigh 169 without hydration pack, don't take drops/jumps, and have a carbon railed Fizik saddle.

Sounds like the seatpost gets a mixed review. Anyone in a similar situation to me have good luck with the KCNC seatpost?

Thanks. DG

·
Registered
916 Posts
gixer7 said:
D8 - if you get one of those Exotic seatposts can you post up a review/actual weights etc? I have one of their carbon forks for my commuter and it's been great so I expect these to be the same.
I got one of those seatpost ! 31.6mm @ 350mm.

Came a little bit under claimed weight. Identical to a 3T Doric seatpost.

Ugly, but works great !

·
10,914 Posts
I got one of the eXotic carbon forks (with carbon steerer) for my Salsa Mamasita project several months ago and still haven't assembled the bike. I'm terrible that way... buying bits here and there over many months and then finally assembling the bike a year later. In the long run it'd be cheaper for me probably if I stopped doing that given the interest on a couple of my credit cards.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts