Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a lightweight, breathable small summer pack. It's punishingly hot right now & want to go minimal.

Camelbak ROGUE & Shimano U-2 look like they both have a bit of storage at an acceptable price.

I'd like to fit:
Mini pump, multitool, wallet.
Food (energy bar, flatbread wrap)
Spare Tshirt (thin polyester)

Can I do it? What do you recommend?

note: I generally find 1.5L enough to take & I have a bottle rack too. So it's an option to put 1L in the reservoir & use the bottle. or even no reservoir for short rides - I will never be more than 2km from a shop or drink machine.

(I already have a larger backpack, so Im looking at 4,3,2L to be significantly smaller, or its not worth it.)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looks like the Evoc CC 3L & Osprey Katari 3 are options as well, but it seems like the Rogue might have slightly better storage, after seeing a youtube vid.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I have the Rogue. Carry mini pump, multi tool, spare tube and still has plenty of room for additional things. It has a pocket up high and another down low and also an expandable mesh pocket.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I use the rogue only pack I have found where I can still access jersey pockets. It will fit what you need but the T-Shirt will likely not fit in the upper zipped up pocket (if compresses really small might) rather the open pocket that just uses compression strap to stay put meant for rain jacket or spare tube basically.

side note: If anyone knows for sure some of the Osprey 2.5L packs where I can access jersey pockets please let me know.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I don't think the Rogue can be beaten for the price right now, so i'm going to order that. Cheers!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks but I'm not in the USA. I bought one from Chainreaction, shipping was free to Japan 👍

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I'm looking for a lightweight, breathable small summer pack. It's punishingly hot right now & want to go minimal.

Camelbak ROGUE & Shimano U-2 look like they both have a bit of storage at an acceptable price.

I'd like to fit:
Mini pump, multitool, wallet.
Food (energy bar, flatbread wrap)
Spare Tshirt (thin polyester)

Can I do it? What do you recommend?

note: I generally find 1.5L enough to take & I have a bottle rack too. So it's an option to put 1L in the reservoir & use the bottle. or even no reservoir for short rides - I will never be more than 2km from a shop or drink machine.

(I already have a larger backpack, so Im looking at 4,3,2L to be significantly smaller, or its not worth it.)
I have the Rogue. The items you listed will fit, except the mini pump unless it's really, really, short. I have a Spin Doctor RXE pump, and it does not fit in the upper zippered pouch. You could put it in the open flat pouch, but risk loosing it. I instead carry four 20 gram C02 cans.

The open flap pouch on the Rouge is actually pretty big when expanded for the size of pack it is. That's where you can stuff a spare shirt... a tube... etc.

As far as light and breathable... I guess it's as light as any other pack its size. I ride in hot (100+) and humid (80%) weather a lot. I really can't tell much difference in any pack I've ridden with. But than, NO pack is breathable enough for that kind of weather. :)

I only use the Rogue on longer rides (as in further from a trail head/exit). On looped trails that keep me closer to an exit, I ride with a CamelBak HydroBak. I think it's their smallest pack. 1.5L. Very little storage. Enough for a small wallet and a couple of gels maybe. Or a bar or two. I use the HydroBak in combination with an Ortlieb Micro Two seat bag that can easily hold a multi-tool, air cartridges, rag, etc. It doesn't interfere with the dropper and is removable without removing its mount. If I feel I need a pump, I strap the RXE to the included mount that is attached to the bottle cage.

EDIT: I just noticed Lone Rager's comment about Rogue versions. I've had mine for a while, so I assume I have an older version.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks fredcook! Your mini review is very helpful.

My mini pump is 17cm. After you mentioned the CO2 I think I will get one of those & leave the pump on my regular pack. I've never needed a pump, tubeless has always sealed & I only lose 1 or 2 psi. Even that is a once a year thing.

Same here; its 35ºC & 80%+ humidity. Even with no pack I am soaked before I get to the end of my road - ha ha
But, something light & minimal will be welcome because my other pack is 12L military style. I love that pack but for summer I need something else.

Plus, I don't have any hydration pack yet. So this will be the first!

I have a seat pack, but I don't like it. I find I can really notice the bike is weighted differently. I'd much rather use a backpack & have the weight on me rather than the bike.

Thanks again for your comments, it helps me think how I can get the best out of the pack 👍

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
FWIW: Weight on the bike is better than weight on you. On you, you have to support it and it moves around as your move around. On the bike, the bike supports it and you just have to propel it. There is some benefit to the lower CG too. Not huge deal (unless it's a lot of weight, like bike packing) but something to consider.

·
Bikesexual
7,568 Posts
I prefer the weight on the bike as well. Frame and small saddle bags, or handlebar bag for the gravel bike. Two water bottles, life is good.

Longer rides, I will use a pack but it only has water and a small Gatorade.

I ride porky bikes.

·
GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
3,836 Posts
I have two small packs I really like, the USWE XC 1.5 and Camelbak Chase Vest. I just got the latter and I REALLY like it. It's nice to have phone, gels, etc. so accessible.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Thanks but I'm not in the USA. I bought one from Chainreaction, shipping was free to Japan 👍
Japan.......You practically don't have to bring a pack. There is vending machine virtually every 50ft. Japan definitely makes sure people are well hydrated.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Another recommendation for USWE XC 1.5L. I fit in 1-1.4L filled water bladder, tube, multi tool, pump, tire lever, and then jam in house keys. It’s tight, all stuffed, but good for my short rides. Real small. I tried an Osprey (?) 3L but it was way bigger than I was looking for.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Japan.......You practically don't have to bring a pack. There is vending machine virtually every 50ft. Japan definitely makes sure people are well hydrated.
That's very true! 👍
I often don't take a pack if I am just going for a local ride.
Here in Okinawa 🏝 it's super hot & humid, so if I go to the trail getting up the hillside is brutal. Even though it's not far, I don't want to come down again to get drinks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts