Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at picking up the Carbondale Topstone 105. It uses WTB ST i23 TCS, 28h, tubeless ready rims. The bike specs with a 40mm gravel tire. I'm wondering what the smallest tire size/spec I could swap out without having to change the wheels. I'd really like to make this bike a solid road bike when the need arises. Any suggestions/comments/help would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Armature speller
Unit, Anthem, Stumpy, Secteur
4,715 Posts
Ran Maxxis Raze 32's without issue. Still a pretty round profile.
Need to try the old Maxxis Detonator 32's and see what they're like for roady stuff.

Max size? Well they run 2.4" MTB tyres nicely as well.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LBS suggested 32s as well, although I want a slick tire that would be more of a "road"-style tire for fast/efficient riding on mainly pavement.

I'm looking at the Cannondale Topstone 105, just wanted to make sure the versatility is there if I want it.

·
Mtn Biker Machinist
1,298 Posts
I’ve run from 42’s to 58’s on 28mm internal rims with no issues. Anything 28 & up should be fine on those rims.

I’d recommend some Compass or similar wide/supple tires. You’d be surprised how fast wider tires can be!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've run from 42's to 58's on 28mm internal rims with no issues. Anything 28 & up should be fine on those rims.

I'd recommend some Compass or similar wide/supple tires. You'd be surprised how fast wider tires can be!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LBS said a 28 would seat "squared" and might not be ideal, but I'm tempted.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Personally I wouldn't go below 32mm, and for gravel and light offroad use I wouldn't hesitate to plop something like a 2.1-2.2 on there despite the wide rim trend.

The GP5000 comes in 32mm and it's one of the fastest road tyres in the world. I see no reason to go down to 28mm.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/specials/grand-prix-5000-comparison (Personally I don't really agree with the whole "same comfort level" thing tho)

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/road-bike-reviews/continental-grand-prix-5000-tl-2018

Again, wider doesn't necessarily mean slower.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.