Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna ride Mills Peak trail into Greyeagle for the first time this Saturday. I see what looks like three different routes that come off of Mills Peak and drop down to 89. What is the best way to go. Opinions welcome!

After.....we will shuttle back to Gold lake and then drop down into Dville. Should be an awesome day of riding.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
169 Posts
just rode Mills Peak again on Saturday, one of my absolute favorite trails. Get some!

·
Registered
280 Posts
yep, fun trail, good for beginners too as the technical lines & kickers are optional. I was up there last week and it's running awesome!

·
In Search of Singletrack
120 Posts
Just park by the fire lookout, then look for the trail and trail sign. Lok towards gold lake, and you will see the trail and sign. I guess the word is out. this is on of the funnest trails around, and amazingly built for maximum flow-induced grins.

·
NedwannaB
12,767 Posts
AAAAcccckk!

Gonna ride Mills Peak trail into Greyeagle for the first time this Saturday. I see what looks like three different routes that come off of Mills Peak and drop down to 89. What is the best way to go. Opinions welcome!

After.....we will shuttle back to Gold lake and then drop down into Dville. Should be an awesome day of riding.:thumbsup:
Sounds like an awesome ride bb. Can't make it back up into altitude til the 13th though. D'oh!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Look closer at the map Yuba Man linked to. Do the full course, maybe eliminating the extra loop around Long Lake and you'll do an epic ride. The Mills/Elwell link up is outstanding. Other options abound in both directions.

We spent a lot of time making Mills a rideable uphill but fun downhill. You can ride up the thing faster than shuttling and then going back to fetch your car will take. It is a magnificent climb, and something of a rarity in the area. Turn around at the top or pedal on to the Basin.

Earn your turns!

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
So Ronski

A friend was telling me about linking up Ellwell & Mills, the route on the linked map is the best way to do it?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Tahoe,

Once you hit the west side of Gold Lake Rd I recommend some modifications from the route of the footrace. Either climb Round Lake to Oakland Pond Trail then connect over, or Round Lake Trail Head, almost immediate right turn to Bear Lake Loop, to Silver, to the fun new Mud Lake Trail (which we built) to Elwell. Devations from these 2 options will be painful. The rocket ship that won the footrace did the 50k in 5:15. I'd have to take some big chances on the descent to come close to that time... BTW the 50k was more like 53k. Details....

Ronski

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
Thanks Ron, sounds like a pure loop probably would not be the most fun option, seems an out an back to Mills is the way to go, combined with a loop of Elwell or another out and back on Elwell.

Always amazed at how fast those long distance runners move along, I've played hop scotch with those guys many times, getting my butt kicked on the uphill only to catch again on the down hill (Sometimes). Sounds like you guys pulled off a fun event for them.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Well a pure loop is great, as long as you choose wisely on the Elwell side. You do miss descending Mills, but make up for that with an amazing run down Elwell. I think the loop is a must do.

For those that want to shuttle Mills, consider shuttling just the pavement. Park at Round Lake Trailhead and ride mostly single track up the south side of Mills. (The main Mills trail is on the north side). Follow the map Yuba Man posted for the foot race.

If doing the big loop from Mills to Elwell be sure to hit up the same trails on the south side of Mills.

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
What about a run down Ellwell, then up the back side of Mills then dropping down to Grey Eagle for a killer point to point?

·
Mtbr Founder
34,856 Posts
We need some good Mills Peak photos. The glory of that trail needs to be captured in stills.

fc

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Think I will do that tomorrow TahoeBC. Gray Eagle Lodge to Elwell to Mills to town. That opens up some fun options through the Basin. Most of my pictures were taken during construction or during trail Daze events.

MIlls.jpg

·
mtb'er
4,210 Posts
Stoked to see what looks like "new" trails on the Lost Sierra 50 map... Sheepdog Tr., County Line Tr., and Pipeline Tr.:thumbsup: Pipeline looks like a great alternative to the dirt road at the bottom of Grey Eagle Creek Tr., no? Are these all rehab's of old trails, or truly new, SBTS blood, sweat & beers trails?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts