Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are cannon revetments that the US Army Barracks in Boise built in the late 1800's to fire French cannons that were known to "blowup" when the lanyard was pulled so the soldiers used to shelter behind the revetments when firing the cannons... I've ridden past these revetments a few hundred times and never noticed them until last night...

Attachments

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since you asked...

Bombin4X said:
Thanks Gary, I totally dig this kind of thing, escpecially being newer to Boise and not knowing a lot about the local history.
Some more Boise history that I learned the other night during a presentation by Ken Swanson (Idaho State Historical Society):
- The Military Cemetery that is now up Mountain Cove Road used to be located where the RC Race Track is now on Mountain Cove Road. It was relocated to it's current hillside location because Freestone Creek used to wash coffins and bodies away from the cemetery every spring.
-The Army diverted Freestone creek in the late 1800's to create the first pressurized fire suppression system in the West. You can still see remnants of the reroute on the South side of Mountain Cove Road.
Fun stuff...

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tnt

I thought this was a mine that has been closed off but come to find that this is a storage "shed" for dynamite probably for the mine right up the trail. This is a little off Orchard trail in a grove of trees.

Attachments

·
Registered
777 Posts
Da Bomb

I've seen a sign or two and have heard old stories about artillery shells being found in the reserve hills. Has anybody who is alive to talk about actually found any UXO's up there?

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BoiseBoy said:
I've seen a sign or two and have heard old stories about artillery shells being found in the reserve hills. Has anybody who is alive to talk about actually found any UXO's up there?
They found a couple of pre-WW1 High Explosive rounds when they were doing a clean up a few years back. Also, when they were building the terraces, the crew found an unexploded rifle launched grenade that the Mountain Home Explosive Disposal Crew had to blow up. It was a live round and left a good sized hole.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Devil Worshippers

flipnidaho said:
I thought this was a mine that has been closed off but come to find that this is a storage "shed" for dynamite probably for the mine right up the trail. This is a little off Orchard trail in a grove of trees.
Hey Flip. 'member I mentioned the "devil worshipping room" that was across the road from the Cottonwood Cemetery? It was one of these storage rooms built back into the hill. I tried to find it a couple years ago, but I think it's been removed. Poor little devil worshippers...so much evil to give and no place to go...

Anyone remember this place?

·
King of the Barneys
1,121 Posts
flipnidaho said:
These are cannon revetments that the US Army Barracks in Boise built in the late 1800's to fire French cannons that were known to "blowup" when the lanyard was pulled so the soldiers used to shelter behind the revetments when firing the cannons... I've ridden past these revetments a few hundred times and never noticed them until last night...
My question is what were those French cannons there for in the first place? Who were we defending against? Seems kinda out of place, so far from where wars were being fought in the 1800's.

Inquiring minds want to know...

CDB

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CBro said:
My question is what were those French cannons there for in the first place? Who were we defending against? Seems kinda out of place, so far from where wars were being fought in the 1800's.

CDB
"******" and protecting those that were migrating West via the Oregon trail. Also, there were gold miners that were mostly Southern/Confederate desertees. The soldiers were stationed in Boise to make sure that the gold/silver found did not find its way to the Confederacy... Makes you wonder if this is why the states between California and the Missouri are the way they are (mostly conservative)....

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
CBro said:

CDB
Probably Filipino Guerillas!!!

--------

One part of Idaho History that I would love to really get into is old historic mining towns.

Several years ago, I went on a big camping/hiking/mountain biking weekend organized by Leo Hennessey and we explored some old mining areas in central Idaho (north of Warm Lake and east of McCall). We even came across a lake that had an old submerged mining town in it!

This is the lake (it's either in the Frank Church or on the edge of the Church):

Here are the remnants of a mining operation:

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Aha!!! Found what I was looking for....the http://www.boiseweekly.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid:162527

"Roosevelt" is the name of the old mining town that is now under the lake in that first pic of mine (no...not the of my machine gun toting cousin).

On a calm day, one can see the building structures still lurking a few meters underwater while casting for trout, but little else is left to memorialize the berg named after Teddy's hottest offspring.
Don't know if I'd want to be fishing in that lake though...

I'd also love to check out the inner workings of the Old State Pen. Just like everyone else, I've hiked and biked past it numerous times. Just never gone inside. Don't know if I have the balls for that though. I scare pretty easily :rolleyes:.

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
flipnidaho said:
Also, there were gold miners that were mostly Southern/Confederate desertees.
That's how the Secesh River by Loon Lake got its name - it's short for "secessionist" or "secession" as most of the earliest settlers of that part of Idaho were from the Confederacy. It's also how Dixie, Idaho, got its name.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.