Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im racking up the base miles on a indoor trainer, doing about 100-150 miles a week, with some 100 mile rides being thrown around.
Is this a good start if i have hopes of doing a 24solo this summer?
I'm going to do one in whatever shape i'm in, i guess im asking if this will put me in roughly good enough shape to go all 24hr.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Try doing a search for this topic.

it's been covered before a couple times.....and there's numerous responses and opinions...but really it get's to this. It "depends" on you, your background, what you want out of it, etc. There is no set baseline that says you "can" or you "can't."

The one thing I would mention is that since you are doing a 24 "hour" race, I'd track hours riding vs miles.:thumbsup:

Hand/of/Midas said:
Im racking up the base miles on a indoor trainer, doing about 100-150 miles a week, with some 100 mile rides being thrown around.
I'm going to do one in whatever shape i'm in, i guess im asking if this will put me in roughly good enough shape to go all 24hr.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Do you mean 100 mile trainer rides "thrown in", and do you mean as part of your 100-150 mile weeks, or in addition to (as in, some weeks close to 250 because of the one long ride)?

Good for you in either case. I believe that if you have the mental fortitude to do those kind of trainer miles, you likely have what it takes to reach your goals.

I'd also search and read other threads on training, and don't discount the value of some intensity in training, even if you won't be using it on race day.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Hand/of/Midas said:
it sure will. there is a lot more involved than just you.

if you are not too concerned with placing and your goal is to just finish, than "mind over matter" is very important. do you give up?

you will end up passing a lot of people in rank late into the night if you're able to keep going.

make sure lighting is not an issue. maybe even have cheap back-up light stowed away.

try to do what you can to prevent mechanicals

try to make sure your butt is comfy in the saddle for a long time. make sure your shoes do not cause "hot spots"

try to make sure whatever you will be eating does not cause GI upset.

if you wear glasses/contacts/sunglasses, etc...make sure none of these will be an issue.

warm clothing in the night if needed.

as you can see, much of the above is not very fitness related. you will do great. get one under your belt and then work on better times in the future

·
Registered
453 Posts
Hand/of/Midas said:
Any kind of riding is a good start to eventually doing a 24hr, personally I think most people can do a 24... the important distinction being what kind of a race do you want?

Take three 24hr competitors as an example, each one representing a possible racer - it is a pretty large preparation gap between an athlete planning to do 14hrs worth of laps, versus an athlete 'testing the waters' for the first time and planning to do 20hrs worth of laps, versus an experienced athlete racing for the podium and planning on doing 25hrs worth of laps.

There are so many things involved in a successful 24hr, for each one of the mentioned athletes. Most athletes who toe the 24hr line have a plan to race all 24hrs, the ability to do that is typically decided well before the gun goes off. The way you train now should be decided by how you want to race in the 24hr this summer.

You are doing the right thing, asking questions, trying to learn more. Find people in your area who have raced for 24hrs, hang out and learn some things from them. Find a mentor. Read. Experiment. Consider the other stuff (stuff off the bike). And take all advice (including this) with a grain of salt, because I don't know you and nobody else does. The 24hr game is an interesting journey (and worth it), you are going to make mistakes and you are going to see successes, if you consider all of it as a loooooooong lesson you'll do just fine. ;-)

·
Registered
147 Posts
I did my first one last summer, great experience. I would concur with the above post. Additionally when you are doing long rides leading up to the event, get your food situation dialed in so you know how your gut is going to react to an extended effort. And then have a wild assortment of food cuz you never know what you are going to crave at 3 a.m. IPOD's are nice to keep the dark voices away in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
371 Posts
All great comments. One thing that hasn't been mentioned. Get out and race as much as you can. Shoot for 12 hour + races. These can be good training rides for you and you don't have to push a race pace. This is the best way to learn. If you are crazy enough, ride a few hours before a 12 hour race to get you a longer ride and effort. You will find that you can easily limp through a 6 hour race. 12 hours is harder, but still, w/o a mech and decent nutrition, you can make it through. It is in the middle of the night, when your lights go out, your nutrition is off and you see Big Foot when things start to get tough. One time I thought this wild boar was chasing me. Pretty funny.

·
H.E.R
158 Posts
Like others have stated to a degree in other posts. It all depends on your background, shape your in, etc. Personally for me I usually start specifically training for a 12-24 hour race 2 -3 weeks out form the race. I use my running to supplement all other training this type of training seems to work well for me. Typically Ill do a lot of road riding on my mt. bike throwing in a few actual offroad mt. rides. I figure train on the bike your going to race with. Each person will have their own training regime and style. A big part of it is just to ride your bike. I don't use training plans found in magazines, websites, etc. I just do what I do. :thumbsup: To each their own.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
mcmurv said:
All great comments. One thing that hasn't been mentioned. Get out and race as much as you can. Shoot for 12 hour + races. These can be good training rides for you and you don't have to push a race pace. This is the best way to learn. If you are crazy enough, ride a few hours before a 12 hour race to get you a longer ride and effort. You will find that you can easily limp through a 6 hour race. 12 hours is harder, but still, w/o a mech and decent nutrition, you can make it through. It is in the middle of the night, when your lights go out, your nutrition is off and you see Big Foot when things start to get tough. One time I thought this wild boar was chasing me. Pretty funny.
oh, that's horrible!

·
Registered
946 Posts
I'm old and have done a few 12hr races and 6 24hr races.. I like to ride 200 to 300 miles
per week spring thru summer and I also do about 40 to 50 miles of running.
this time of year I'm into Skate Skiing and running I have a indoor trainer but I don't use it!
so YAH your doing good. All the above feed back is good & I would have to say that you will know more after you go out and do one.. And DON'T take what that guy said about Lighting going out lightly. Have Fun!

·
Registered
504 Posts
I spoke to a young man (about 23-24yo) about a 24hr he's doing next weekend. I asked about 8-10 hr rides?

He and his racemate (both experienced and front runners at extreme endurance events)
do 3 hr max sessions most days. They smash the first day and even if they're tired ride on following days to adjust their bodies and minds to the conditions.

I don't know if it's right; it works for them. E.g. the bike leg of an extreme (10 day event) they're doing in 3 mths time is 400kms; running, kayaking, abseil, etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
All great posts. I like to build up the miles leading up to a 24 hours race but not more then 12 hours. You have to work on the diet and hydration several times to get it right. I have done races where it did not work and that will kill you. If you plan to do 1 hour loops at the race then do one hour training loops and stop to eat/drink what you plan during the race. An advantage to doing loops for training is that you can invite freinds to ride along on different portions. I am mainly a road rider and will schedule a 50/50/50 mile ride with specific times that each loop will start so other riders can ride. Ultra riding does not have to be by yourself.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Depends on what my coach has in the plan.
If it is long endurance rides during base I could end up with 400+km.
If I am on hill repeats, spin ups, efforts etc then the km count could be far lower.

It will also depend on whether you are happy to complete the event or want to achieve something much more.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just reinforcing a point someone else made up there somewhere, you gotta put in a few of those really long miles just to find out whether you have a comfy position on your bike. You won't believe how the tiniest niggles can turn into a deal breaker in races much shorter than 24hrs. Getting that cleat postion just right, your saddle at the perfect height and angle, what grips you use (I've tried everything and ended up with super cheap foam efforts).
If you're going to ride with a light on your noggin, make sure you do some distance with that thing, it can seem like it weighs a ton after a while.
Don't forget to have fun.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So many good points i hadn't thought about much. thanks guys. I'm really excited because this will be the first year i really take everything seriously(but fun), and will get well past 5k miles for the year. Did another 4 hours tonight after 6 hours monday, and am going start pedaling every day now, not just every other.

Ive found a handful of 6-12 hour races kinda close so those will help me learn some things i couldn't otherwise too.

TR said:
It will also depend on whether you are happy to complete the event or want to achieve something much more.
As for the goal for my first....i want to beat my uncle! he just got into biking a couple years ago and ALREADY did a 24solo, and ive been biking for a decade and haven't done one. so ive got to beat 110 miles first go.(he's from Cali, im from Chicago,and we actually have winter, that's my excuse.) LOL. that and learn a bunch my first 24 race.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
All good advice.

What I find helps, is every time there's a problem or I'm feeling stuffed, is to keep repeating "don't stop, don't stop, don't stop"

So simple, don't stop :)

Amazing how many places that will gain you in the small hours.

·
El Gato Malo
4,373 Posts
Back in the day (meaning the 70's and 80's) the thought was the distance that you can ride in a week is the distance that you can ride in a day. So 150 miles a week should equal to 150 miles in a day. Eat a lot, drink a lot and pace yourself.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts