Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Pisgah-Pale-Alien
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me the total mileage of either or both, (but not combined) the entirety of 1206 (Yellow Gap Rd) and the Never Ending Road from Trace Ridge parking lot? Thanks if you know

·
Registered
676 Posts
Yellow gap is approx 11 miles one way...

NER is approx. 14 miles one way depending on what you view as the actual end of the road. Its been some time since I rode NER to verify but its close to 14 I believe.

I am sure one of you nerds has the exact mileage...

·
since 4/10/2009
34,556 Posts
Are you looking for measured cyclocomputer distances?

TF shows 1206 as 12mi and MTBProject shows it as 13.1mi. Both are probably shorting the actual distance.

Never Ending Road is a bit trickier, as there's not really a clear end to it. It kinda fades out into a wildlife clearing.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
That’s why they call it Never Ending. I rode it one time up until the point where it was so overgrown that there was no point in continuing.

If you want a nice road loop, ride the BRP from the top of Bent Creek Gap to 276, then go left on 276 to 1206 and over to N Mills and back up Wash Creek to the parkway. About 35 miles.

·
Pisgah-Pale-Alien
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all. Yeah were training for the Dirt Diggler next month and looking for 30plus mile gravel rides. I'll post actuall milage of 1206 and NER once we GPS it this weekend.

·
Registered
676 Posts
That's why they call it Never Ending. I rode it one time up until the point where it was so overgrown that there was no point in continuing.

If you want a nice road loop, ride the BRP from the top of Bent Creek Gap to 276, then go left on 276 to 1206 and over to N Mills and back up Wash Creek to the parkway. About 35 miles.
Up Avery Cr Rd (477) and over across475B and back via 276 is a great 20ish miler. If you want to get weird take 475C (Horse Cove Rd.) behind the Hatchery (instead of 276) to the top of Bracken and ride that down to town and take the greenway back to the forest.

Bracken is pretty fun on a gravel bike if you have 40s+. Thats probably 30~ miles or so.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Thanks all. Yeah were training for the Dirt Diggler next month and looking for 30plus mile gravel rides. I'll post actuall milage of 1206 and NER once we GPS it this weekend.
I have done the Diggler the past 3 years. You want to have sturdy tires for Pinnacle Mt. Road. That thing is harder on bikes than most single track. I had a flat last year. It's a fun ride except for that last bit where you have to do that long road climb on Staton Rd. with cars flying by you at 60 mph. It would be nice if they would take you through DSF on gravel to skip that part, but that would involve having to get more permits. Then the last short climb off of Sky Valley is nasty steep for about 1/2 mile. I ended up pushing part of it the last couple of years. Have fun. I am trying the Pisgah Monster Cross this year instead of the Diggler. I think it may kill me.

·
Pisgah-Pale-Alien
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Up Avery Cr Rd (477) and over across475B and back via 276 is a great 20ish miler. If you want to get weird take 475C (Horse Cove Rd.) behind the Hatchery (instead of 276) to the top of Bracken and ride that down to town and take the greenway back to the forest.
Bracken is pretty fun on a gravel bike if you have 40s+. Thats probably 30~ miles or so.
Done both these loops for years. We usually do the Braken Fish hatchery loop backwards, climbing bracken on a gravel bike = big fun.

I have done the Diggler the past 3 years. You want to have sturdy tires for Pinnacle Mt. Road. That thing is harder on bikes than most single track. I had a flat last year. It's a fun ride except for that last bit where you have to do that long road climb on Staton Rd. with cars flying by you at 60 mph. It would be nice if they would take you through DSF on gravel to skip that part, but that would involve having to get more permits. Then the last short climb off of Sky Valley is nasty steep for about 1/2 mile. I ended up pushing part of it the last couple of years. Have fun. I am trying the Pisgah Monster Cross this year instead of the Diggler. I think it may kill me.
We rode the first half of the Diggler last week, Reeb Ranch to Cedar Mtn via Sky Valley and Pinnacle, then Cascade, Staton, Sky Valley. 28 miles and yes, that last hill is ugly.

·
Pisgah-Pale-Alien
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just clocked 1206 on my moto. It's exactly 12.3 miles pavement to pavement. While over that way I clocked the MR campground to Trace Ridge parking lot, 2.9 miles. Obviously couldn't clock NER on the moto but will this weekend on bikes. Plan is to start at the campground, ride 5000, then the NER and back, should be close to 30 mile.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Just clocked 1206 on my moto. It's exactly 12.3 miles pavement to pavement. While over that way I clocked the MR campground to Trace Ridge parking lot, 2.9 miles. Obviously couldn't clock NER on the moto but will this weekend on bikes. Plan is to start at the campground, ride 5000, then the NER and back, should be close to 30 mile.
Wednesday I started at Bent Creek Gap, down WCR, and out NER until I hit 15 miles and then back for a nice 30 miler. It did entail going a couple of miles past the "no bikes or horses past this point" sign but there's certainly no one watching out that far.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I rode Pinnacle today from the reasonover end back to Sky Valley Rd. Man, that is a wicked climb. Close to 6 miles with big chunky gravel down at the Sky Valley end. Went down Rocky Ridge and then went over and did Ridgeline and then up Lake Imaging Rd. Looks like that has been re-graded recently, as it was much smoother than usual. Went over the covered bridge and then up Sheep the hard way. Short bit of tarmac took me to the quarry rd. I took that all the way up to Becky Mtn rd. And then took the road back to the car. About 27 miles with 3k feet of Verts. Nice mix of trail, gravel, and tarmac.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.