Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't stand finding ads for stuff like this with absurd pricing. The wheelset below can be had NIB for $250 sans tires/(no) tubes. Obviously, it is a great deal to spend an additional $200 for used wheels, tires, etc. Good grief, why can't people do a little more seller diligence before posting these ads?

Ad Information
Category:Wheelset
Ad Number:xxxxxxx
Date Posted:xxxxxxx
Size:29"
Price:$450.00
Product Condition:Very Good
Text of Ad
This is a set of black 29" Salsa Delgado rims laced up to Black Surly disc hubs with black spokes and silver nipples. These will work with both rim brakes and disc (obviously). Also included, a set of WTB Exiwolfs which have been Stans NoTube'd to the rims. This is a very reliable sturdy set of wheels which will last for a long time. I am in the process of building up a set of super chi-chi wheels so these must go. The hubs were stolen off of my old 26" rims, they are just around a year old. The new Delgados were just laced up this past September and have seen a few hundred miles. There are some minor blemishes on the rims mostly from rocks scratching the paint. I will have my LBS check them for true before shipped.

·
uh, uh...oh, i forget
1,039 Posts
Soupboy said:
I can't stand finding ads for stuff like this with absurd pricing. The wheelset below can be had NIB for $250 sans tires/(no) tubes. Obviously, it is a great deal to spend an additional $200 for used wheels, tires, etc. Good grief, why can't people do a little more seller diligence before posting these ads?

Ad Information
Category:Wheelset
Ad Number:xxxxxxx
Date Posted:xxxxxxx
Size:29"
Price:$450.00
Product Condition:Very Good
Text of Ad
This is a set of black 29" Salsa Delgado rims laced up to Black Surly disc hubs with black spokes and silver nipples. These will work with both rim brakes and disc (obviously). Also included, a set of WTB Exiwolfs which have been Stans NoTube'd to the rims. This is a very reliable sturdy set of wheels which will last for a long time. I am in the process of building up a set of super chi-chi wheels so these must go. The hubs were stolen off of my old 26" rims, they are just around a year old. The new Delgados were just laced up this past September and have seen a few hundred miles. There are some minor blemishes on the rims mostly from rocks scratching the paint. I will have my LBS check them for true before shipped.
They just sold on ebay for 152 plus shipping...maybe the guy was hoping a nubee would come along and buy em...

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
MTBR thanks him for supporting the website and community with his ad.

:)

·
Registered
594 Posts
If you could take a $20 bill and sell it for $40 you would. Why be down on someone with overly optomistic pricing? Unless you bought them, then realized you'd been had, or if you are considering the purchase, why worry yourself?

·
Registered
981 Posts
I think he's just looking out for his fellow riders and doesn't like to see people jacked on price.

As for the seller of those wheels... Sometimes people just think too highly of their belongings and don't understand depreciation of goods. I chuckle sometimes when I see auctions for old GT LTS with a Buy-it-now price price of $1500.

·
gray hair in my shammy
414 Posts
Soupboy said:
I can't stand finding ads for stuff like this with absurd pricing. The wheelset below can be had NIB for $250 sans tires/(no) tubes. Obviously, it is a great deal to spend an additional $200 for used wheels, tires, etc. Good grief, why can't people do a little more seller diligence before posting these ads?QUOTE]

I also see some pretty high asking prices for stuff on this board, but hey, We're in America. Supply and demand. Why would someone pay $2000 for an X-Box that retails for $300? People sell worthless crap all the time to people who pay lots of $$ for it because they want it bad enough. I once bought a Ti BB on Ebay with the BIN option for $20 more than what I could have gotten at an online shop. The reason being, they took PayPal, (I had some extra cash in my account) and the shipping was free. The online shop did not and the shipping was extra. After the sale, out of the blue some jackass I didn't even know emailed me telling me how bad He thought I got ripped off. Obviously He had way too much time on his hands.
If the worlds economy collapsed tomorrow, all of our expensive bike parts wouldn't be worth anything, but I'll bet water, food and firewood would be worth a fortune.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Off topic...

Old_Bashturd said:
Soupboy said:
...If the worlds economy collapsed tomorrow, all of our expensive bike parts wouldn't be worth anything, but I'll bet water, food and firewood would be worth a fortune.
I was just thinking about the same thing over the weekend. I was thinking about picking up some cigarettes and whiskey to store in my earthquake kit here in L.A. I could always trade it for food and water if need be. Cigs and boos would be worth gold.

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
frankenbike said:
I was just thinking about the same thing over the weekend. I was thinking about picking up some cigarettes and whiskey to store in my earthquake kit here in L.A. I could always trade it for food and water if need be. Cigs and boos would be worth gold.
wouldn't gold be worthless?
send me your gold, i'll send you some CC...

·
Registered
386 Posts
Go Kart Motzart said:
Who cares? You've posted messages to the same effect in the past. What's worse asking to much for a product and letting the market decide or whining about potential sales transactions that you aren't even involved in?
well, I don't mind I think it is funny.

·
Registered
166 Posts
there's a guy over there trying to sell a used KM rigid fork for 100 + shipping as well.

I regularly fight the urge to send them emails telling them how crazy it is to ask that much...

so far, I've been successful refraining.

1,414 Posts
29inch said:
there's a guy over there trying to sell a used KM rigid fork for 100 + shipping as well.

I regularly fight the urge to send them emails telling them how crazy it is to ask that much...

so far, I've been successful refraining.
He may not be that crazy. One just sold on ebay for $75 plus $15 shipping. They are hard to get from most LBS's right now because QBP is out. Some people just don't look hard enough.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
1strongone1 said:
He may not be that crazy. One just sold on ebay for $75 plus $15 shipping. They are hard to get from most LBS's right now because QBP is out. Some people just don't look hard enough.
I was watching that auction until I saw someone bid it up to $72 with 2.5 days to go.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts