Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
45 gone, 15 to go
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to give a public bump to Mikesee/Mike Curiak. http://www.lacemine29.com/

I just bought some wheels from him and he was great to work with, even though I was a pain in the butt. I went to him trying to buy a wheelset for my wife and ended up with one for me instead. We must have traded about 15 emails each before we worked it all out.

This will be my second wheelset from mike. The first is still holding true even after riding on it for a couple of miles with a flat during a cross race and all of the other abuse heaped upon it.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

By the way, bug him now before he goes off to alaska for awhile.

·
This place needs an enema
17,259 Posts
Law said:
The first is still holding true even after riding on it for a couple of miles with a flat during a cross race
Yikes! Don't try this at home, kids!

Thanks for the plug, though...

MC

·
45 gone, 15 to go
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya gotta do, whatcha gotta do to finish a race--and I wasn't going to run the rest of the way to the finish line. I thought twice about it before doing it, but that particular cross race was so miserable that I just didn't care anymore--I wanted it to be over.

Anyway, thanks!

·
loud hubs save lives
702 Posts
Law said:
Just want to give a public bump to Mikesee/Mike Curiak. http://www.lacemine29.com/

I just bought some wheels from him and he was great to work with, even though I was a pain in the butt. I went to him trying to buy a wheelset for my wife and ended up with one for me instead. We must have traded about 15 emails each before we worked it all out.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
same experiance for me too ... i was a pain, traded about 15-20 emails, but he guided me through my first 29er wheel purchase with patience. wheels rock, thanks man.

-chris

·
ridin' Mary
359 Posts
I'm in the queue

I've already traded my ~15 emails with Mike, and I'm in the queue. :thumbsup:

I'm just waiting for a Rohloff hub to become available so he can start the work. I don't have any of the other components for this 29er yet (SIR9 frame order goiing out soon), but I wanted to get a jump on the wheels to get in the queue before he leaves for Alaska.

I wouldn't have found him at all except for the great reviews on this forum. The guidance alone from Mike in this build is priceless. I can hardly wait for my first 29er to be completed!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agree with everyone on Mikesee!!! I was lucky. Told him what bike and my style of riding and price range. He recommended I Paypaled and within a week the wheels were in my hands. SS wheels are strong, true and rolling like a mofo. Wheels for the FS Asylum are resting in the garage as I'm waiting to put them on the forthcoming Funk La Ruta 29r. They sure look pretty though and don't hardly weigh anything.

·
17,259 Posts
FWIW, I'm perfectly happy trading less than 3 emails if that gets the job done...

Ha!

Just in from a chilly/windy ride. Anyone else get out today?

MC

·
45 gone, 15 to go
1,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mikesee said:
FWIW, I'm perfectly happy trading less than 3 emails if that gets the job done...

Ha!

MC
yep, though it was about 1.5 hours on the road. Still, it was windy and cold this morning. I don't like freezing temps too much, but at least it was dry here.

I actually almost wussed out, but after emailing you a bit and realizing that you spend days in the snow on a bike, I figured that I should get my butt out there. I had been just sitting in the trainer or on a treadmill for the past month.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Yes he builds a great wheel...

Time I should step up to the plate and give props. Mike has built more than one wheel for me and I've put'm through the gauntlet and are holding up nicely. I'm pretty convinced the DT TK 7.1s, 36h, dishless SS wheelset he built for me is indestructable under even fairly aggressive SS riding.

Thanks Mike.

MJ

·
Registered
236 Posts
mikesee said:

Ha!

MC
as a 3 email cust (...maybe 4... pos 5) i was able to sneak in an hour today when everyone thought i was working.... :rolleyes:

snappy wheels MC! thx again.

e

·
17,259 Posts
Bearbait said:
I can also attest that those TK 7.1 rims are ridiculously strong.

MC - when you coming to town?
Hit the ground on the 27th.

Unbox the gear, build the bike, and eat lotsa sushi/hijiki on the 28th. Get dumped (hopefully) at the Knik Bar that night--I rented one of those plywood boxes they call cabins for the night. Sleep fitfully for a few hours before clipping in and pedaling away early on the 1st.

Man it's comin' up fast!

One gratuitous 'testing shot' from last weekend. No words necessary...

MC

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
OhNooo said:
I've already traded my ~15 emails with Mike, and I'm in the queue. :thumbsup:

I'm just waiting for a Rohloff hub to become available so he can start the work. I don't have any of the other components for this 29er yet (SIR9 frame order goiing out soon), but I wanted to get a jump on the wheels to get in the queue before he leaves for Alaska.

I wouldn't have found him at all except for the great reviews on this forum. The guidance alone from Mike in this build is priceless. I can hardly wait for my first 29er to be completed!
I'm sure he learned a lot about the SPeedhubs after dealing with me... :madman: Hopefully you can get yours soon. My wheels have been good. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Word!

Even thought I have a wheel sponsor (shhhhhh!) I went with mike for a set of 29er hoops. They have been great! Light and tight, just the way I like 'em. I'd go with him again in a minute. It's nice to support a small business that is run by a guy that has been there and done that.

Plus, I'm hoping that just a little if his mad endurance skills rub off on me.... :)

Joe

·
Beware of Doggerel
665 Posts
"MikeSee is the man"

Yeah but he's pretty like a girl, that's what I like about him....

Nice set up in that test pic, looks like you can carry a spare bike if need be. The trails should be bomber when you get here. Drop me a line when your in town, if you need a ride, or the use of a formerly mouse infested garage etc.

Adam

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
Mike, just wanted you to know that you are an endurance legend down south in the Alabama MTB community. Good to see you on the forums passing along knowledge and "wheel good deals". Look forward to doing business with you myself.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.