Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
2 sides to every story. i am sure there was a contract. Did the sale of that Bike Shop invalidate the contract? If so Mike’s probably knew it in advance, and instead of making arrangements for those customers, like transfer the orders to another store or Specialized directly. They hoped doing nothing would be ok? They had 400 orders for bikes paid in full? Does that sound odd? I know when I just bought a Chisel, I put a refundable $100 deposit on a bike. Who buys a bike in full sight unseen in this market? Then they send a one sided email out to their entire email list ( I got one and I have never bough5 anything from them, so not sure how I am on their customer list). Not saying Specialized is innocent, but I sure would like to hear their side before I threw them under the bus.
I think more likely, this slanderous decision was made to both stab Mike's while simultaneously alleviating some of the backlog they are unable to fill.
"Hmm I'm angry and supply is low... how can I lash out and reduce demand at the same time? Maybe somebody else can take the fall for it too..."

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think more likely, this slanderous decision was made to both stab Mike's while simultaneously alleviating some of the backlog they are unable to fill.
"Hmm I'm angry and supply is low... how can I lash out and reduce demand at the same time? Maybe somebody else can take the fall for it too..."
I don't get it. Why are you so sure it's more likely this way? You aren't providing a good argument against the claim.

·
Registered
686 Posts
The shop is now owned by Cervelo/SC. Specialized doesn't want to do business with Cervelo/SC. I understand why they severed ties. Mike's Bikes is no longer a Specialized dealer. Of course they can't handle warranty claims.

I haven't owned a Specialized since the Hard Rock that was my first post BMX bike. I doubt I will ever own another Specialized. A lot of their business practices have historically sucked. This may suck, but it makes perfect sense.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The shop is now owned by Cervelo/SC. Specialized doesn't want to do business with Cervelo/SC. I understand why they severed ties. Mike's Bikes is no longer a Specialized dealer. Of course they can't handle warranty claims.

I haven't owned a Specialized since the Hard Rock that was my first post BMX bike. I doubt I will ever own another Specialized. A lot of their business practices have historically sucked. This may suck, but it makes perfect sense.
How does it make perfect sense to leave so many customers hanging like this? Both companies are involved with the matter. Both companies are making choices to screw a lot of people over. Where is this evidence you think you have to blame Specialized entirely for this result? Because you don't like their business practices ... this is your evidence that Specialized is intentionally leaving customers high and dry and somehow preventing Mike's new owner from doing more than what's stated in the email?

This thread appears to be filled with people that want to bash Specialized while absolving Mike's of all sins in the matter. But Mike's chose Specialized in the first place. Mike's was a proud Specialized dealer - they promoted Spesh bikes and products and for many of the 400 recommended the bikes. If Specialized is such a shitty company what does all this say about Mike's?

·
Registered
686 Posts
How does it make perfect sense to leave so many customers hanging like this? Both companies are involved with the matter. Both companies are making choices to screw a lot of people over. Where is this evidence you think you have to blame Specialized entirely for this result? Because you don't like their business practices ... this is your evidence that Specialized is intentionally leaving customers high and dry and somehow preventing Mike's new owner from doing more than what's stated in the email?

This thread appears to be filled with people that want to bash Specialized while absolving Mike's of all sins in the matter. But Mike's chose Specialized in the first place. Mike's was a proud Specialized dealer - they promoted Spesh bikes and products and for many of the 400 recommended the bikes. If Specialized is such a shitty company what does all this say about Mike's?
I did not blame specialized fully. I took issue with those who did.

I don't know anything about Mike's one way or another. 2 business entities made decisions that ended up screwing customers. The former owners of Mike's certainly knew that Specialized was not going to continue the relationship, but they continued to push S bikes. Specialized certainly could have extended the relationship by 3 or 6 months, which would have resulted in many of the 400 getting their bikes. Plenty of blame to go around, I'm just saying it shouldn't all fall on Specialized, sucky though they may be.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Questions I have still. Did Mikes setup a bidding war between their current partners and their partners competitors? Then use Specialized to get a higher offer? Then hope that Specialized would play nice after? A simple, “here is what your competitors are offering, interested in matching it? It not we are gonna take it but lets work out something for all the people waiting for exist orders if you dont want to match the offer.” It sounds to me like Mikes didnt want to sell to Spesh. Spesh probably would have taken over more, and changed more. The new owners are letting them run it at this point like it was always run. So you work with a brand for 20 years then bail on them for their competitors. Thats like your wife leaving you after 20 years, marrying your enemy but saying “we can still be friends right?” Lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There are better bikes in every single segment. Put brand loyalty or disloyalty aside. They make nothing worth choosing over a competitor.
Easy to state yet impossible to prove. On the other hand, I've gone into a great many bike shops for decades, and especially recently but
predating the covidized influence, and I've priced out bikes and ridden everything a shop would have in the same category. And every now
and then I see a Specialized at a huge discount. I then go away and research.

My research has proven that you're wrong to make such statements and with such certainty. You're just being loud and slanderous and getting
carried away. Let people do their own research.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Personally, I don't think anyone is doing anything unexpected or shady. Sucks for those caught in the middle, but that's just bad timing.

Mike's is the one holding the deposit money for bikes he can no longer acquire, right?. They knew they would lose Specialized, before they sold it to the company that owns Santa Cruz. Nothing nefarious, just business choices. Pretty sure Specialize requires most of their dealers to stock majority Spec. bikes, if not exclusively. That's their business model.

Mike's is trying to keep customers, by offering to put deposits toward a different bike (prolly SC), but will give a refund so they can go elsewhere to get a Spec. I'm sure Specialized would love for them to get their money back and go to a new Spec dealer, and maybe they could've made that happen easier somehow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
After;
1: Ripping off and lowballing Tom Ritchey's "mountain bike"
2: literally naming a bike "Enduro", when that was a category of Motorcycle (later mtb) racing
3: Suing a small bike shop for using the name "Roubaix"
4: selling overpriced bikes to people with a need to feel "special"

No wonder their riders are generally jerks and are as pompous as the owners.
Personally, I don't think anyone is doing anything unexpected or shady. Sucks for those caught in the middle, but that's just bad timing.

Mike's is the one holding the deposit money for bikes he can no longer acquire, right?. They knew they would lose Specialized, before they sold it to the company that owns Santa Cruz. Nothing nefarious, just business choices. Pretty sure Specialize requires most of their dealers to stock majority Spec. bikes, if not exclusively. That's their business model.

Mike's is trying to keep customers, by offering to put deposits toward a different bike (prolly SC), but will give a refund so they can go elsewhere to get a Spec. I'm sure Specialized would love for them to get their money back and go to a new Spec dealer, and maybe they could've made that happen easier somehow.
They still can. How much can they gain by keeping these potentially loyal customers? Likely that many of those are friends or family members of people who have supported Mike's for years.

What kind of business is Mike's if it says nothing is changing but tells these people they're lowest on the Mike's totem pole. People that gave mike's deposits or paid in full. These are your LEAST important customers?

I don't get it, unless ... is it really just the same old story of ego, greed and selfishness? If it isn't that then tell us that it isn't. Don't send out a corporate sounding email.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts