Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear customer,

For over 20 years, Mike's Bikes maintained a close partnership with Specialized Bicycles. We've built a strong business here in NorCal and beyond, as both of our companies have grown together.

A few weeks ago, Mike's Bikes was acquired by an amazing family-owned company in Amsterdam, and we couldn't be happier. Upon learning of this, however, Specialized abruptly terminated their relationship with Mike's. They later notified us that they would also be canceling the orders of over 400 customers who had bought and paid for their bikes in advance. They further informed us that as of October 31, they will no longer provide manufacturer warranty support through Mike’s Bikes for the many thousands of Specialized bikes that we’ve sold.

It is unfortunate and extremely disappointing that our Specialized customers are being affected in this way. This is definitely not a situation that we wanted or expected.

Our Wheelsmith Tech Departments will still be able to provide the same professional service on Specialized bikes that we offer on every other major bike brand, but for Specialized customers who need support through the manufacturer's warranty, we encourage you to contact your closest authorized Specialized dealer, or to reach out to Specialized rider care directly at (877) 808-8154 or www.specialized.com/us/en/ridercareform

To our customers impacted by Specialized's cancellation of your order, we are reaching out to each of you directly to help find an alternative bike from other excellent bike brands that support us. We will work our tails off to help you find a replacement bike. If you decide to cancel your order at Mike’s and order a Specialized bike elsewhere, we totally understand, and we will issue prompt full refunds.

Looking forward, we’re excited to be able to offer a broader selection of brands in both equipment and bikes. Over the next few weeks, we will announce new partnerships with some of the best brands in the business, and we’ll be offering you more options and more selection than ever before. In the end, nothing has changed at Mike’s Bikes. We continue to be fully dedicated to helping you get the most out of your ride.

We really appreciate the support of our loyal customers, over the years and today in times of change.

-The Mike’s Bikes Team

Had a feeling this was going to happen....

·
Registered
Mr. Incognito
3,544 Posts
Why would they do this? Just curious... Does it have something to do with Mike's no longer being owned by an American company?

·
Registered
36 Posts
The company that purchased them also owns Santa Cruz Bicycles.
Yes, but that does not justify the way they bailed out on Mikes; leaving Mikes in a mess of stranded customers that they must attempt to make amends with.
Seems similar to some mistakes in recent global politics... But let's not go down that rabbit hole.

Honoring existing orders while declining all new orders would have been the way to do it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes but that does not justify the way the bailed out on Mikes, leaving Mikes in a mess of stranded customers that they must attempt to make amends with.
Seems similar to some mistakes in recent global politics... But let's not go down that rabbit hole.

Honoring existing orders while declining all new orders would have been the way to do it.
I couldn't agree with what you said more. I was simply stating why it happened when someone asked in an above comment. This was a horrible way for Big S to handle this.

·
Registered
Mr. Incognito
3,544 Posts
Yes but that does not justify the way the bailed out on Mikes, leaving Mikes in a mess of stranded customers that they must attempt to make amends with.

Yea, I can't imagine throwing a hissy fit and abandoning customers like that. Seems like a horrible business move.

·
Rippin da fAt
9,052 Posts
Quite alright, I and many, many others will refuse to even entertain looking at a SpecialEd product for this and many other incidents that have happened.

Why the big S couldn't be honorable and fulfill existing orders prior to business acquisition is a silly way to handle customer relations.

·
29ers Forever
2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude A70
3,461 Posts
After;
1: Ripping off and lowballing Tom Ritchey's "mountain bike"
2: literally naming a bike "Enduro", when that was a category of Motorcycle (later mtb) racing
3: Suing a small bike shop for using the name "Roubaix"
4: selling overpriced bikes to people with a need to feel "special"

No wonder their riders are generally jerks and are as pompous as the owners.

·
Registered
Talentless dirt-roadie
744 Posts
Pon/Mike's Bikes should be taking this to the California Attorney General. This is almost certainly a violation of civil law.

·
Rippin da fAt
9,052 Posts
Yeah, just another in a long list of reasons to not even consider special ed bikes.
Of course, the fact that there are plenty of better options is a good one too.
The Wildcat and Middlechild are testaments to the fact that finer bikes can ride too. Without the need to take out a second mortgage!

·
GONE
26,024 Posts
While I am not completely surprised that Specialized who react in such a manor, I am completely shocked that they took it to this extreme:

"They further informed us that as of October 31, they will no longer provide manufacturer warranty support through Mike’s Bikes for the many thousands of Specialized bikes that we’ve sold."

That is a stab by Specialized into their own back. I can't help but laugh and be pissed off at the same time.

·
Registered
536 Posts
IMO severing ties is one thing but canceling previously placed orders has to border some type of misrepresentation/fraud.

Looks like they are trying to make Mike's take the hit with the Consumer, but in the end it's a definite reflection of Specialized and their product.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I used to live in Morgan Hill, know/knew plenty of people that worked there. I have owned special ed in the past, although between what they are and stand for and my personal experiences with the company, I will never give their products a consideration again.
That said, I don't understand how anyone can look at the current list of bikes and say yep, I'll go with the S. There are better bikes in every single segment. Put brand loyalty or disloyalty aside. They make nothing worth choosing over a competitor.

·
Registered
171 Posts
2 sides to every story. i am sure there was a contract. Did the sale of that Bike Shop invalidate the contract? If so Mike’s probably knew it in advance, and instead of making arrangements for those customers, like transfer the orders to another store or Specialized directly. They hoped doing nothing would be ok? They had 400 orders for bikes paid in full? Does that sound odd? I know when I just bought a Chisel, I put a refundable $100 deposit on a bike. Who buys a bike in full sight unseen in this market? Then they send a one sided email out to their entire email list ( I got one and I have never bough5 anything from them, so not sure how I am on their customer list). Not saying Specialized is innocent, but I sure would like to hear their side before I threw them under the bus.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts