Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I originally posted this as yet another comment to my own review of Mikes Bikes earlier today but what can I say, muscle relaxers and extreme aleve have made me less than 100%.

Anyway:

I've been buying a supercaliber on layaway. They said I could spend some quality time with my new love and they'd even store my current ride in their shop during. And they started changing my seat heights. Not a really big deal but it's a total pain in the @ss to change it back on a 95 rockhopper and there I was just barely able to power away from a car aiming at me. And me w/o my trusty allen.

Instead of apologizing for what was basically a prank, Jonas the manager emailed me and accused me of libel. When I walked in 2 weeks later to say I'd pay the $350 I still owe and pick it up on April 5, Jonas flipped out and said I didn't own the bike that was monkeyed with. When I pointed to my bike (locked to a parking meter outside) and said I owned that one, Jonas said he was going to call the cops on me and my $1500 would be returned to me.

Please realize the manager initiated a confrontation in which neither of us yelled and anyone who couldn't actually see me pointing to my bike would know anything was amiss. The cops? That seems a tad extreme.

I have put over ten hours into modifying the bike to make it the purrfect urban attack vehicle (which means tailoring a rubber suit made of old tubes all over the various frame bits). My new bike would neither be easily recognizable as the exceptionally cool ride it is nor would it get dinged from the bike shuttle (a very cool and inexpensive way across the bay but your bike does get beat up a bit).

My time is gone. The manager is furious that I didn't keep my little girl mouth shut about it all (check out Berkeley yelp mikes bikes) and has kept both the bike and my Money.

What the hell happened? You write something positive about someone and it goes to their head? Testosterone poisoning? I'm at a loss here. They do cool things in Africa but ine if their managers is a d!ckhead and gets away with it?

I currently have a lower back injury and my bike is my only vehicle. I'm abut to start a new job that adds another 50 miles to the 45 I already do 5 days a week (when it's not full on summer and I do 40 in a weekend). I NEED that bike.

What jerks.

You can spot it if it's on the floor b/c the carbon fiber seat post is destroyed from all the seat adjusting. I warned them they needed to lube it with the special carbon fiber lube but did they listen? NOooooo. So now the carbon fiber is compromised and will be kinda spendy to replace.

I emailed them earlier today (at least I'm pretty sure I did) and said why not just hand it over with the twisty grips and we can call it quits but they didn't respond to that either.

I have a bill of sale with the mods listed right on it and the amount of money I've paid already.

Does anyone else think I ought to sue their but in small claims court?

commutergirl

·
Expert Crasher
6,356 Posts
I think you ought to reevaluate the situation when you're 100%. Hard to follow.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The supercaliber is a 29er, no?

This thread got me started on the 29er thing.

I don't really see why my lightheadedness this morning should allow a jerk to get away with it for the past 3 weeks.

Since I and my bike went @ss over teakettle, I now really need the suspension NOW.

I was just asking what other people thought.

I hoped I might find some support for an aspiring 29er rider.

Sorry to bother y'all

commutergirl

Apparently

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
I'm not sure that a stream of consciousness writing style is the best way to effectively prove any point.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Yes, absolutely go to small claims court. You paid 3/4 of the price of the bike, and now the douche won't give you either bike or money, and won't let you pay off the rest of the layaway. That sounds like theft to me.

Good luck.

·
Kosher Princess
748 Posts
laffeaux said:
I'm not sure that a stream of consciousness writing style is the best way to effectively prove any point.
Was there a point, because all I could think about was some henna tattooed dread-headed gurl who eats at $2 Chinese Food while wearing a "God said *mathematical equation* and there was light" organically grown fair trade hemp t-shirt and who's not known a razor for the past ten years, shopping in the world section of Amoeba.

Then again, she would be into transcendental meditation ready for a magic carpet ride.

None the less, I forgive your nonsensical mutterings, even if you do stink it up like a whore who's been b!tch-slapped back to Bangkok.

·
Banned
1,853 Posts
Natalie Portman said:
Was there a point, because all I could think about was some henna tattooed dread-headed gurl who eats at $2 Chinese Food while wearing a "God said *mathematical equation* and there was light" organically grown fair trade hemp t-shirt and who's not known a razor for the past ten years, shopping in the world section of Amoeba.

Then again, she would be into transcendental meditation ready for a magic carpet ride.

None the less, I forgive your nonsensical mutterings, even if you do stink it up like a whore who's been b!tch-slapped back to Bangkok.
A++

·
Registered
2,024 Posts

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
WTF, dude?

illnacord said:
commutergrl, leave Mikes Bikes of Berkeley alone. And stay the hell out of my gene pool.
Why is everybody bagging on her? Why peg her as yet another Berkeley freak? Knock off the stereotypes. You don't know her (and neither do I).

Sounds like she has a legit complaint, although I get the feeling there is more tho this story, here.

My experience with the shop in question has been hit and miss.

Overpriced stuff, but reasonably well stocked. Staff is sometimes cool, more often has attitude.

I have generally avoided this shop, but bought a bike computer from them (for way too much, but I needed it right then, and they stocked it) about a year and a half ago, but I probably won't think of them first if I need anything.

Over list price for a bike? That is messed up, but you agreed to pay it. Doesn't surprise me from that shop.

·
No Justice = No Peace
1,512 Posts
I smell a junkie.....

Does Courtney Love know you have been raiding her medecin cabinet?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The worker's comp Dr. gave me the muscle relaxers for a bike parking accident. I litterally flipped in the air an onto my back, bike went flying. I am happily drug free today (so far) in case anyone is wondering.

I'm not the only one who has had a bad experience with Mike's Bikes. If your still interested, you can read the entire thread. Maynard stood up for his wife.

Sorry if I'm not the unreasonable person so many are trying to make me out to be. I can definitely be a jerk, but I apologize once I've managed to embarass myself. I can't find anything to apologize for in this instance.

I'm going to try Mike himself, first. You don't get that big w/o some common sense. If common sense has taken a vacation, then I'll go to small claims court.

Got no interest in anyone's gene pool. You can keep that mess to yourself.

commutergirl

1 - 20 of 162 Posts