Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for Kris "Don't call me Johnny" Holm's rims?

Found some on Unicycle.com for $35 but they want $18 for s/h.

I can ship a bike via FedEx Ground cross country for $22-25. WTF?

Thanks,

Sean

·
This place needs an enema
16,916 Posts
The way the shipping rules work (for UPS/FedEx, etc...) the box that a normal wheel comes in (the tapered box with all the angles to it--knowwhatImean?) is just small enough to not be considered 'oversize'. But the KH rims are too fat to fit in that box (especially if you order a pair) so they instantly get bumped to 'oversize'. And just like shipping a bike, weight matters less than the dimensions of the box.

It's a bummer for sure--but I don't know any way around it.

MC

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Maybe, for that $18, you could ship a higher numer of rims, if you find locals that would like to share the shipping with you.
From another view, if the rims are thát good, despite being cheaper than most wimpy XC rim, you might have to just forget about the relatively high shipping costs of transporting a handful of gallons of uncompressed air, and start regarding them as $44 rims from the LBS. What do proper FR/DH rims cost at your LBS?
Because Holm sells them (more or less direct), one or 2 link in a regular rim distribution chain are cancelled out anyway. Isn't Holm in it to promote unicycling more than he wants to make a buck out of it? If it's hard to find someone to make a proper HD rim for the 29" scene, try finding an investor to fund Unicycle rims... This guy must have real heart for his sport. We take advantage. From touring rims to unicycle rims, the MTB brands just sit and wait for a multi-million dollar deal to present itself to them before they give us what we beg them for.

Rant over.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.