1 - 20 of 212 Posts

·
Autonomous
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
613 Posts
Mike's is kind of a semi-official Specialized factory store. Assume they'll still carry them as Spesh has a wider variety of offerings versus SC. Maybe they'll faze out the Specialized dental offerings and reserve that elite spot for SC.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
"Nothing is going to change around here. They like who we are and what we are and our culture and that's what they want," Martin said on the video. "If we didn't tell anybody, no one would know the difference."

Yeah. Nothing is going to change... until it does, which it will.
-I agree 100%. It all ready has in fact. SpecialEd has been using their heavy-handed tactics and threatening IBD's that sell Santa Cruz to drop the line or else.
First it was just no e-bikes to compete with the Levo, now it's drop 'em completely. :mad:

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Mike's is kind of a semi-official Specialized factory store. Assume they'll still carry them as Spesh has a wider variety of offerings versus SC. Maybe they'll faze out the Specialized dental offerings and reserve that elite spot for SC.
Does Santa Cruz money end up in Dutch coffers, with some of it on "the West Side"? Does Specialized money end up in Morgan Hill, California, USA coffers, with now much less of it in Taiwanese (Merida) coffers, seeing as Mike Sinyard has purchased a lot of his portion back from Merida (iirc, he's now back to being majority owner).

Curious which one's the more American company, given that mountain bikers seem to engage in the bottomless pit that is chasing the 100%-American-made fantasy.

And that's not even getting into the courtroom stuff. A friend of a friend has access to LexisNexis and I saw firsthand how litigious a lot of the companies we think are "little victims" are in fact bloodthirsty courtroom assassins. It's just that Specialized Sues Lemonade Stand Entrepreneurs gets the most clicks.

·
getting back into it...
210 Posts
BTW my cynicism comes more from having been an employee of companies that were acquired multiple times than from the bike industry. I'd much rather this happen and Mikes Bikes stays Mikes Bikes to us than to lose a favorite local store and have it become a big-bike-company store.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
pretty interesting given the proximity of the chain to specialized's backyard. that's a big move from Pon. big. what's specialized going to do? go full corporate store out here like trek? prime locations are few.

i bet this was a BIG money deal. noone's going to buy cervelos over spesh roadbikes no matter what they try though LOL

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
im not a dentist, just a mere commercial HVAC software programmer.
Probably make more than many dentists. Not sure what dentists did to become the whipping children of the bike community. It used to be lawyers and as one I should probably be glad, but it still seems a bit odd and unfair.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Probably make more than many dentists. Not sure what dentists did to become the whipping children of the bike community. It used to be lawyers and as one I should probably be glad, but it still seems a bit odd and unfair.
Definitely not. I can buy a short travel bike and a big enduro and be happy. But im by no means raking it in. It is weird though how often i hear the relation of expensive things and dentistry. Probably cause whenever you go you have to come out of pocket arm and a leg for any simple dental thing.

·
Premium Member
8,702 Posts
Google says the average dentist in the San Jose-San Francisco area makes about $185,000. Not too shabby.
$185,000 a year is about $125,000 a year after income taxes or a bit over $10,000 per month cash. When you consider the average price of a new home in the SF Bay area is about $1,000,000, the monthly mortgage payment with insurance and taxes is going to be $5,000-6,000 per month, leaving $4,000-5,000 per month. Figure a moderate vehicle at $600-700 a month, auto insurance, fuel (at least for the moment) and there goes another $1,000-,1,250, now down to $2,750-4,000 per month. Food, another $1,000 a month. Phone, electricity, water, garbage service, $500 a month. Now we are down to $1,250-2,500 a month of free cash flow, putting away nothing for retirement, not buying clothes, taking a vacation, or other extras. While that makes for a comfortable life, it is far from swimming in money.

1 - 20 of 212 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.