Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking at XC bikes, new and used, and found a 2013 Giant Anthem X Advanced for $600.; Researching I found it has a HT of 71 degrees and ST of 74 degrees. Found a fair amount of negative posts on 71 HT. Originally I wanted to purchase a new Kona Cinder Cone from a local LBS but good used is also good for my wallet/budget. I ride mostly XC and technical single track. I race off road woods type dirt bike hare scrambles for past 20 years. 40yrs old 6'2" 220#.

Below are the bike's specs, owner built it frame up:

Giant Anthem X Advanced (XL) Frameset MY2013 (100mm)
RockShox XX SID 100mm Fork with Pneumatic Lockout
Stan’s No Tubes Arch Mk3 Wheelset (Neo hubs) on Maxxis Ikon 2.25
SRAM XX Worldcup Brakes (180/160)
SRAM XX1 Drivetrain (36t, 11/42t) New crank, bottom bracket, cassette chain
Easton carbon riser bars
110mm Easton stem
Ritchey WCS Carbon Seat post
WTB Valcon Saddle

Should a 71 degree head tube angle be a deal breaker?

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
What are you riding / racing now and what's the geometry on it?

71 HTA is twitchy, but has been on xc race bikes a long time. If your trails have sustained descents this is the biggest difference you'll notice. It's scary and will slow you down.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
A current gen Santa Cruz Blur has a STA of 74 with a 69 HTA. So the numbers aren't that far off. Of course, the numbers alone don't always tell the full story - and you don't even have ALL of the numbers....though a bike with a 110 mm stem would have me concerned as to how the geometry is driven....that's pretty old school, and in addition to a steep HTA, it puts you further out over the front.
Have you ridden the Anthem X? Do you plan on changing out any components? A slightly longer fork will slacken it out a bit (like maybe a 120).
I wouldn't even consider buying it without riding it first, though. But, to tell the truth, I wouldn't even bother test riding it, but that's just me.

·
WillWorkForTrail
4,989 Posts
I've had two 2013 Anthem X 29 frames and still have a 2017 Anthem X 29 frame. The first two broke at the drive side shock mount, the third is still going and was the second warranty replacement Giant gave me. So the very first thing I'd say to you is - I weigh the same as you, and did not jump my Anthem. Both times the frame broke, it was while both wheels were on the ground, not landing a hop over a log, or coming off some kind of small drop. That particular place in the frame was simply a problem. It's different on the 2017 frame. Personally, because the used bike won't have the warranty on it, and coupled with the fact that the Anthem 29 has changed completely now, I wouldn't buy the bike at your weight simply because of that. My son who is 6'4" and weighs 150 is now riding my Anthem.

The geometry shouldn't be a deal breaker. It's a very ridable bike for an XC marathon or race bike, if that's literally your only concern. If you're not looking to race XC go get a short travel trail bike. IF you are looking to race XC you'll find similar geometry on nearly any of them, as MSU mentioned. But again. I still wouldn't buy THAT bike used with no warranty. If that frame breaks, you probably won't even find a modern frame you can use those wheels/cranks on because of the broad shift to boost spacing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.