Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
trying to ride
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I can buy a 2007 stumpy FSR pro model frame with the brain shock for around $500. Now please don't hate but this is the first Spesh frame i've looked at and I don't really know what I should be looking for shock wise. All the pivots seems fine, normal scratches and marks on the frame but nothing structural. This is the goldish colored frame (sorry, not a fan of the color, but paint can fix that :) ) From the browsing I've done, this frame would have an AFR shock? How do I know if it's a 1st gen or 2nd Gen?

Any opinions on whether it's a sweet deal or not?

Thanks,
Adam

·
Registered
851 Posts
In terms of price the deal sounds reasonable. It sounds you like you have already checked alot of the obvious stuff.

- You should also check all weld points for buldges/cracks.
- look over the where the headset comes together with the frame for cracks and fatigue.
I'm not sure if that spesh has an integrated headset...
- Make sure the rear wheel mount is straight and a hub will fit in and clamp on.
- How do the threads look on the bottom bracket shell? I got a frame once that didn't look good and made the process complicated.
- If its an air shock it would be a good idea to make sure it holds the proper amount of pressure.

If you've done your homework and it looks sound you should go for it. It sounds like a good winter project; I just picked up my winter project up this week.

How are you going to build it up?

Anthony

·
trying to ride
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Basically i'll be swapping components over from a 2003 carbon trek fuel 98. Looking for a little more active rear suspension than what the old fuel has to offer!

It will be a modest build, I have good components on the fuel with the exception of a good crank so i'll most likely be in the market for a better one!

So it sounds like a fairly good deal ! the bike was ridden by a 150lb older bike mechanic. Initial inspection showed no signs of cracking, or fatigue. I did not closely inspect the the BB threads but will do that before I finalize a deal.

I'll definitely post pics if I end up getting it :thumbsup:

Thanks again,
Adam

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.