Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
I always bleed like this.
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The kids are old enough to travel and not need help going to the bathroom.
I live in Ohio but most of my real traveling has been in uniform so I don't know about the secret good places in the Midwest for family vacations, (and that I can get in a couple of good rides).

So, I am looking for suggestions/ideas of someplace I can take my family, that they will enjoy, for a week or so and that I can get in a few rides. The kids are 9 and 4.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Brown Co is awesome, I've heard Town Run which is pretty close is also a great ride. HMBA.org can give you all the info you'd like on IN trails. There is a pool and playground at the state park. The campground is very nice. The town nearby, Nashville I think, has a whole lot of crafty stuff the wife might like and a good ice cream shop.

Ft Custer MI is also a spot I like to go for a camp & ride trip. Nice campground and good trails. A lake with beach is good for the family while you pedal. A bonus is that it's pretty close to Kalamazoo where the Bells brewery is.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Beautiful area that the whole family will think is awesome. It's probalby a 12 hour drive for you, but for a weeks vacation, it's worth it. It really has a different feel than the rest of the Midwest.

If you go, be sure to check out Copper Harbor and Marquette for riding. I currently live in Utah, where there's lots of great riding. But I still try to get back there to ride.

·
Rides with Scissors
619 Posts
SKPhoto816 said:
Check out Brown County State Park in Indiana. It has some pretty fun trails and may not be too bad of a drive.
x2.

There's also Versailles State Park that isn't too far from BCSP (1-1.5hr maybe?) that has some pretty interesting trails.

·
Adventurous Hacker
438 Posts
South/Central PA

Hanover is a great little town--York, Hershey and Gettysburg are nearby. Nice, family-friendly B&Bs, reasonably priced midweek. Hershey Park Amusement Park is a crowd pleaser. You can tour a potato chip factory and a Harley Davidson Factory. The little ski areas have summer activities including ziplines and giant hamster balls you can roll down the hills in. Seven Springs runs the lifts and you can do some DH on the bike. If you're a history buff, Gettysburg has a great self-guided tour and a fantastic multimedia show at their visitors center. If you're into the Amish thing, Lancaster is in the neighborhood. Great technical riding in the Michaux State Forest, fantastic less technical riding at the Allegripis trails near Altoona, and plendy of easier trails in various local parks all around.

Have fun!

·
I always bleed like this.
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RollingWanderer said:
Check out Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri. Lots of stuff for the family to do and some very nice riding.

-RW
Yeah, I helocast into that damn lake once, it was 39 degrees. I would like to see the place when I could enjoy it. Of course the boat loads of naked coeds might be a sliiight issue with he wife. (I kid, if that was the case I would vacation there every year).

·
Registered
93 Posts
PoorBehavior said:
Yeah, I helocast into that damn lake once, it was 39 degrees. I would like to see the place when I could enjoy it. Of course the boat loads of naked coeds might be a sliiight issue with he wife. (I kid, if that was the case I would vacation there every year).
Lake of the Ozarks isn't the party lake it used to be. The naked coeds are pretty well contained to party cove...avoid that area and you'll find the rest of the lake and surrounding area is very family friendly. Of course I live here with my wife and kids, so I'm a bit partial.

-RW

·
Registered
136 Posts
Devil's Lake State Park (great camping, and lots of hiking/biking trails) is near Wisconsin Dell's, and a great family spot, too. A few ski resorts nearby, which means there's elevation (and possible bike rentals for downhill--not sure, but just a guess?)

Also, Turkey Run State Park in Central Indiana is nice, and it's not far from Kickapoo State Park in Illinois, both of which have some nice mtbi'ing.

·
DynoDon
1,666 Posts
Michigans UP is great, but then, all of Michigan has great trails, Hartwig Pines is a great stop,(300+foot tall Pines, 1800's logging camp, hiking trails, MB trails) on the way up north, if your going in the heat of summer its cooler the farther north you go, check out Mackinac Island too, no cars allowed, rent bikes, and ride horses enjoy biking like it used to be with the whole family.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackinac_Island
http://www.stateparks.com/hartwick_pines.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here's the official web site for Brown County mountain biking:

http://www.browncountymountainbiking.com

Brown County's signature flow combined with the tourist-friendly town of Nashville makes for a perfect vacation destination (not to mention a mountain-biker-friendly brewpub 2 miles from the trailhead). All of it is only 15 minutes off of the interstate. There are tons of other great trails in the area including Nebo Ridge, Versalles State Park and French Lick Resort, all within an hour or so of Brown County. TONS of riding.

Bike magazine names Brown County one of its Top 33 riding destinations in North America.

Brown County has grown quietly, not based on hype, but based on quality of trail construction, variety of trail skill levels, and amazing "Fun. Fast. Flow." factor.

E-mail the folks that run the web site above if you have specific questions. They'll get back to you in short order.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,370 Posts
Growing up in Indy, I spent a LOT of time at Brown County State Park 20yrs ago. As a kid, I loved the place. My grandparents took me there often with my cousin, and we had a great time. Even though I currently live in Texas, I still like to go. I have not ridden the trails at BCSP yet (I'm really itching to, though), but I have ridden elsewhere in the area and it's a good spot for it.

Nashville will definitely give your wife something to do. There might even be something there that'd interest you. I have long thought that I'd be happy to settle down somewhere in that area. I only hope I get there before it gets too expensive.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.