Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm new to this forum.
I recently re-found my love of mountain biking, during a trip to the tropical island of St. Lucia, and am totally getting back into it. (check out bikestlucia.com)
I am planning on taking my brother on a bike trip this summer. We are both going through a bit of a rough spot in our lives, and want to get away, the way only mountain bikers can, and need help picking the best trail/trails for a life-experience. I want to have an experience, not just a mountain bike ride. We are going to drive on a friday, ride saturday and sunday, and drive back on monday. I have tried the Trail review portion of this website, but I cannot seem to get what I need out of it, So I was hoping that if I made a post like this, someone might be able to help.

Here's what I;m looking for.

I want a trail / trail network that has spectacular scenery, and long technical downhills. (keeping in mind that we'll be on light weight XC hardtails)
We both are expert trials riders, so we are looking for technical trails. (fire-roads just won't due, unless the payoff at the top is worth it.)
I'd like to find a trail that can be completed in a day, as I'd like to use a local campground, as opposed to hauling gear on our backs, and it's important to have good beer nearby.

Our radius of travel is about 10 hours from Cleveland. so from Wisconsin to maine, Toronto to Georgia. so you can imagine how daunting a task it is to find the perfect place to go. If you live near a great trail...(I mean a trail worth a 10 hour drive) Please let me know. Please, and thank you.

-Giventofly

·
Registered
391 Posts
Mountain Bike magazine's most recent issue lists the "best" trail in each state. Not a lot of info on each trail, but a place to start if you can find it.

IMBA's website has a page of Epic Rides, http://www.imba.com/epics/rides.html.

There is some really great stuff in Virginia, check out http://www.shenandoahbicycle.com/. They have maps for sale and directions to some great rides in the Harrisonburg, Virginia area.

Also in West Virginia--I have not been, but the Davis area and Slaty Fork are supposed to be really great. I hope to get there this summer.

And finally, Douthat State Park in Virginia has some great biking. http://www.dcr.state.va.us/parks/douthat.htm.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I've ridden almost everywhere in virginia and have to say douthat state park sounds like what your looking for,over 100mi of single track with great DH,scenic overlooks and camping.All the trails can be reached from your campsite.

·
Uber V Cripp
222 Posts
Letchworth State Park in Western NY. The Finger Lakes Trail is listed #6 in BikeMags top 10 rides. 29 miles of continous singletrack in the northeast. Lot of technical stuff. Gullies and creeks to cross. Some good downhills. Some good climbs. All along the canyon of the Genesee river. A down and back is 48 miles and will kick anyones ass. Plus you get to ride through a 2000 year old old growth cedar grove.Letchworth is our little secret. Lots of camping options nearby. Really cool place......jdcamb

Attachments

·
Registered
460 Posts
jdcamb said:
Letchworth State Park in Western NY. The Finger Lakes Trail is listed #6 in BikeMags top 10 rides. 29 miles of continous singletrack in the northeast. Lot of technical stuff. Gullies and creeks to cross. Some good downhills. Some good climbs. All along the canyon of the Genesee river. A down and back is 48 miles and will kick anyones ass. Plus you get to ride through a 2000 year old old growth cedar grove.Letchworth is our little secret. Lots of camping options nearby. Really cool place......jdcamb
Dooood!!! I'm so out there this summer!! Party at your place? :D

·
Uber V Cripp
222 Posts
McGRP01 said:
Dooood!!! I'm so out there this summer!! Party at your place? :D
June 17th, 18th, and 19th will be my first annual Jdcamb Epic Ride Weekend. Camping, food, beer, and Epic rides everyday. Drunken nightrides too! The 17th we will be riding the Killer quad in Bristol, 5000' of combined climbing with a mix of singletrack and fireroads (30 miles). The 18th we will roadtrip to Ellicotville (35 miles on the glorious FLT!), and the 19th we will be riding Letchworth (22 miles sections 1,2,3,4,& 5). Camping will be at Ontario County park in Bristol Springs NY. Your welcome to come. I haven't firmed up everything yet but I will let you know when I do......jdcamb

·
Registered
460 Posts
jdcamb said:
June 17th, 18th, and 19th will be my first annual Jdcamb Epic Ride Weekend. Camping, food, beer, and Epic rides everyday. Drunken nightrides too! The 17th we will be riding the Killer quad in Bristol, 5000' of combined climbing with a mix of singletrack and fireroads (30 miles). The 18th we will roadtrip to Ellicotville (35 miles on the glorious FLT!), and the 19th we will be riding Letchworth (22 miles sections 1,2,3,4,& 5). Camping will be at Ontario County park in Bristol Springs NY. Your welcome to come. I haven't firmed up everything yet but I will let you know when I do......jdcamb
Hmmmm? That might work, no DH races that weekend. The Dalton 24-hour race is the following weekend too, your epics might make for a great warm-up!

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts
Western NC really

Giventofly said:
Hi. I'm new to this forum.
I recently re-found my love of mountain biking, during a trip to the tropical island of St. Lucia, and am totally getting back into it. (check out bikestlucia.com)
I am planning on taking my brother on a bike trip this summer. We are both going through a bit of a rough spot in our lives, and want to get away, the way only mountain bikers can, and need help picking the best trail/trails for a life-experience. I want to have an experience, not just a mountain bike ride. We are going to drive on a friday, ride saturday and sunday, and drive back on monday. I have tried the Trail review portion of this website, but I cannot seem to get what I need out of it, So I was hoping that if I made a post like this, someone might be able to help.

Here's what I;m looking for.

I want a trail / trail network that has spectacular scenery, and long technical downhills. (keeping in mind that we'll be on light weight XC hardtails)
We both are expert trials riders, so we are looking for technical trails. (fire-roads just won't due, unless the payoff at the top is worth it.)
I'd like to find a trail that can be completed in a day, as I'd like to use a local campground, as opposed to hauling gear on our backs, and it's important to have good beer nearby.

Our radius of travel is about 10 hours from Cleveland. so from Wisconsin to maine, Toronto to Georgia. so you can imagine how daunting a task it is to find the perfect place to go. If you live near a great trail...(I mean a trail worth a 10 hour drive) Please let me know. Please, and thank you.

-Giventofly
You have all kinds of great rides out there. Pisgah, Dupont, Fontanna, etc. And you can head over to TN and hit Ocoee and Chilhowee as well. So many great trails, so little time!

·
Turner Homer
1,227 Posts
jdcamb said:
Where exactly in New York is this place because I am located in upstate new york, Albany.

·
Uber V Cripp
222 Posts
dtrek4500 said:
Where exactly in New York is this place because I am located in upstate new york, Albany.
Ride locations may change. But here is a map anyways. #1 is Bristol, #2 is Ellicotville, and #3 is Letchworth. Feedback so far has been to change the ride from Ellicotville to Letchworth on the second day and add HS Spenser for sunday. That is above Honeoye Lake. Very nice place to ride but not quite epic......

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jdcamb said:

ok jdcamb.....you posted a picture of exactly what I am looking for.

So far...you are winning!
Can you tell me more? Is there a local website that has more pics, topos, or trail descriptions? any more info would be great.

P.S....below is a picture of my inspiration for starting to ride XC again. I was a trials rider, and got my lungs and legs back ar Ray's Indoor MTB. On my vacaion, I rode 30 miles of jungle singletrack in st. lucia. This view was taken from the top of the hardest climb of my life...on a trail in the middle of a caribbean jungle. the climb took me 45 minutes from seal level to 1000 feet....the view from the top literally changed my life. I'm looking for that kind of experience...and so far....that photo is very close to what I am looking for.

I believe that the meaning of life can be found at the top of a mountain. when you do something that you never thought possible. when you change your life so drastically that it enables you to climb mountains...it changes the way you look at things.

Forgive me for getting philosiphical there...but it happens every time I look at this picture.

Attachments

·
surly inbred
1,539 Posts
jdcamb said:
June 17th, 18th, and 19th will be my first annual Jdcamb Epic Ride Weekend.
Sounds like we ride all the same terrain. Care for another to jump on the wagon? I'd be more than happy to help out, provide beer, more riders, shuttles...etc. I'm praying for a dry spring as Letchworth didn't "officially" open 'til about the 28th last year.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Giventofly said:

Can you tell me more? Is there a local website that has more pics, topos, or trail descriptions? any more info would be great.
Are you in/around Cleveland? (Man, I wish I could make it out to Ray's) If you are, the drive to the Rochester area won't be too bad at all. 3 hours? It'll take me about 4 from north of Albany.

·
surly inbred
1,539 Posts
McGRP01 said:
...If you are, the drive to the Rochester area won't be too bad at all. 3 hours? ...
More like 5 hours... 4 1/2 hours might be do-able providing no license & registration incidents

;)

·
Uber V Cripp
222 Posts
Giventofly said:

P.S....below is a picture of my inspiration for starting to ride XC again. I was a trials rider, and got my lungs and legs back ar Ray's Indoor MTB. On my vacaion, I rode 30 miles of jungle singletrack in st. lucia. This view was taken from the top of the hardest climb of my life...on a trail in the middle of a caribbean jungle. the climb took me 45 minutes from seal level to 1000 feet....the view from the top literally changed my life. I'm looking for that kind of experience...and so far....that photo is very close to what I am looking for.

I believe that the meaning of life can be found at the top of a mountain. when you do something that you never thought possible. when you change your life so drastically that it enables you to climb mountains...it changes the way you look at things.

Forgive me for getting philosiphical there...but it happens every time I look at this picture.
Here you go.....

https://ns21.rfnweb.com/~admin78/maps/246.pdf

https://www.highlandercycletour.com/2003 Mountaineer 2.gif

https://www.wnymba.org/static/maps/epic-nw.jpg

https://www.wnymba.org/static/maps/eville/hol-7.html

https://www.wnymba.org/static/maps/epic-south.jpg

https://ns21.rfnweb.com/~admin78/maps/243.pdf

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
McGRP01 said:
Are you in/around Cleveland? (Man, I wish I could make it out to Ray's) If you are, the drive to the Rochester area won't be too bad at all. 3 hours? It'll take me about 4 from north of Albany.
Yes, I live in cleveland, and am one of the founders of ray's mtb. I'm one of the crew of 20 or so guys that volunteered to help ray build the park last summer, and I also help manage the place.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts