Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
rad to the power of sick
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who have been following my race reports, here is the last one:

Race Report 4

So I've decided to take a break mid season and skip one of the provincial races. This leaves me with about 6 weeks to train for the following one. The reason I took a break, was I felt that I have hit a plateau and havent been improving while those around me have. I have also been investing tons of money into my other hobby, and its a good opportunity to save some!

So im gonna sit on the back burner for awhile and try to 'reinvent' my training regimen.

The plan is to make it 6 weeks of hard yet fun training. Lots of hammerfest rides in terrain i suck at riding. Lots of intervals until my legs blow up, and a few 3-4 hr endurance road rides.

Here are my weaknesses, help me fix them!

1- I suck at wet roots, and rocks
2- My top end power needs some work.
3- My sustained power intervals need work, (work in progress)

6 weeks is a pretty broad time period, is it feasible to see a significant improvment over this time if my training is not compromised by race tapering and whatnot?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
superlightracer said:
For those who have been following my race reports, here is the last one:

Race Report 4

So I've decided to take a break mid season and skip one of the provincial races. This leaves me with about 6 weeks to train for the following one. The reason I took a break, was I felt that I have hit a plateau and havent been improving while those around me have. I have also been investing tons of money into my other hobby, and its a good opportunity to save some!

So im gonna sit on the back burner for awhile and try to 'reinvent' my training regimen.

The plan is to make it 6 weeks of hard yet fun training. Lots of hammerfest rides in terrain i suck at riding. Lots of intervals until my legs blow up, and a few 3-4 hr endurance road rides.

Here are my weaknesses, help me fix them!

1- I suck at wet roots, and rocks
2- My top end power needs some work.
3- My sustained power intervals need work, (work in progress)

6 weeks is a pretty broad time period, is it feasible to see a significant improvment over this time if my training is not compromised by race tapering and whatnot?
6 weeks is more than enough time to make some gains.

1-Keep riding the difficult terrain, work on riding at speed and staying smooth. Don't be afraid to re-ride sections over and over till you get them down

2-Anaerobic intervals: 15 sec to 4 minute intervals. Short extremely intense intervals. Going to your maximum, recover and repeat. (depends if it's your sprint power or anaerobic that you need work on)

3-Keep working on the muscular endurance intervals, and increase your time spent doing the intervals over the next few weeks

4- Tie it all in together near your goal event. Ride on the rough stuff, with an anaerobic start to your interval then settling into threshold to simulate racing

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I have a similar time frame. Want to build to a second seasonal peak in early August. MTB finals and a road stage race I want to do well for.

But for you I recommend:

The plan:
1. Build week
2. Build week
3. Build week
4. Rest Week
5. Peak Week
6. Peak Week
7. Race Week......

Build Week:
M: Rest
T: Long Intervals (3X15-20 minutes just under LT)
W: Long Zone 1-2
R: VO2 max intervals (5X 3min), zone 5b
F: Short easy zone 1 with form sprints
S: hard group ride (time equivalent to races)
S: 1 hr. Zone 1 (real, real, real easy)

Rest week (really rest hard, good eating, good sleeping, etc.):
T: Rest
W: Long Zone 2
R: moderate Ride with tech skill emphasis
F: Short easy spin
S: Test of some sort (timed hill climb that you've timed before), or hard-short group ride
S: Zone 1, 1 hour

Peak Week:
T: Moderate MTB ride with Tech Skill emphasis
W: Long Zone 2
R: Intervals (pick the type you are weakest at: LT or VO2max)
F: Zone 1 with form sprints
S: Group ride, race length, work on Tech skills at race speeds (repeat test on 2nd peak week)
S: 1 hour, Zone 1

RACE week(s):
T: Train your strength (intervals, sprints, whatever you think you're strongest at).
W: Zone 2, not too long
R: off
F: easy spin with few sprints (pre-race)
S: RACE
S: zone 1, spin

Classic Friel type format. I'm doing something real similar. Except I do Thursday Crit races every week (except RACE weeks).

If you have a powermeter, that's real nice. It ensures that you don't overdo the beginning of any type of interval. Key to surviving consecutive interval days.

·
rad to the power of sick
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips.

I will be doing a small local race every week just to keep my race form in good order. Ill likely use the opportunity to put out a 2hr hard race effort even though the race is only 45 mins. A hard preride/postride should do the trick.

I plan on getting out to do some technical riding once a week with the sole purpose of finding stuff that I am horrible at riding and then just practicing.

My next race takes place up in the Canadian Shield which is extremely rocky with minimal climbing. Its a course which favors technical riders.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
superlight

your original post hear sounds like a recipe for continued plateau or over-training to me.

6 weeks is plenty of time to make some improvements, but it sounds like you plan on going pretty hard most of the time. (hammerfest, intervals, long rides)

were you planning on doing a taper and peak? that is probably the most important part.

pick one weakness and work on that.

for me, REST is just as important as the training. the harder you go, the better (more) you need to rest. if you go at too hard, too long, too much - you will be worse off than you are now.

anyway, I think Ponch has a good idea but I would tweak that for myself a bit actually, specially if you are planning on going hard and if you have 6 weeks (ponch did 7).

week 1 - build
week 2 - build
week 3 - rest
week 4 - build
week 5 - peak (taper but keep up intensity)
week 6 - race

Good luck!

·
rad to the power of sick
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
stillhardtailing said:
What's the difference between LT and VO2 max invervals?
LT intervals (Lactate threshold intervals) are longer duration intervals at lesser intensity than VO2 max intervals. Think: long gradual climbs where you're hurting, but not to the point where you're gonna roll over. Or hammering into a headwind.

VO2 max intervals, are shorter duration intervals where you go full out.. Think: a 300m steep hard climb where you want to throw up and die at the top. Or sprints at the end of a race.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Best way to ge tbetter at the technical stuff is ride with somebody who is .
I typically do ok on the climbs but get killed on the loose rocky stuff...I've learned a bunch watching other guys lines, what gear they are in...stuff like that.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
superlightracer said:
LT intervals (Lactate threshold intervals) are longer duration intervals at lesser intensity than VO2 max intervals. Think: long gradual climbs where you're hurting, but not to the point where you're gonna roll over. Or hammering into a headwind.

VO2 max intervals, are shorter duration intervals where you go full out.. Think: a 300m steep hard climb where you want to throw up and die at the top. Or sprints at the end of a race.
time wise, LT intervals are about 10-20 minutes. A bit below time trial type pace; and hold steadily for 10-20 minutes, without burning yourself out the first 5.

VO2 max are about 3-6 minutes. According to my powerprofile, I'm naturally strongest at these, so I only do them during RACE periods.

Currently, I am weakest at Anaerobic Capacity intervals. those are as hard as you can for 1-2 minutes; for me, I get the highest power using a relatively high RPM for these efforts.

·
rad to the power of sick
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
smithy said:
Sounds like you have made a good decision in skipping your next race and using the time to build for the next one. The thing I find with racing all the time is that it is hard to develop your weaknesses as you are either racing on recovering. A few weeks focusing on structure can see some great gains. Best of luck!
Yea.. I feel I've lost the fun in riding having to race every weekend. The time off (constructive time off! ) will do alot to improve my riding.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.