76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Express yourself!

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Express yourself!
Hell yea, I let her rip.

My favorite sentence: "MROSD board is composed of octogenarian dressage enthusiasts who assume all mountain bikers are IPA-chugging assholes."

On second thought, might I have assumed correctly?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Not sure how you shoehorned that into a parking survey, but I applaud your commitment. I did suggest expanding bike legal singletrack access would improve my experience, but it was definitely in the "other category."

Thanks for bringing this to group attention.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Not sure how you shoehorned that into a parking survey, but I applaud your commitment. I did suggest expanding bike legal singletrack access would improve my experience, but it was definitely in the "other category."

Thanks for bringing this to group attention.
There was a free-form field requesting "parking and access" feedback. I think bypass trails, and lack thereof, fits into the latter. The general gist was the lack of doing anything that might resemble a tip of the hat to the MTB community. On the other hand, Measure AA funds will be used to prop up an entire horse barn at Bear Creek Redwoods for the 12 equestrians per year* that frequent MROSD preserves.

To paraphrase Eleanor Roosevelt: "Well-behaved mountain bikers rarely make trails."

* +/- 100

·
Registered
239 Posts
Ask for bike legal access from Bald Knob down through Irish Ridge.
And the "Craig Britton Trail" (formerly called the "Soda Springs Trail") should be open to bikes - at the very least in the South-to-North direction - to make a good loop with the Whittemore Gulch (and Purisima Creek) Trails, without having to ride along Highway 35 (or the whole way up the very steep Harkins Ridge Trail).

·
Registered
468 Posts
This project will be discussed at 5pm Wednesday 12/1/2021 at a special meeting of the Midpen board. There will be breakout sessions for the public. Trail alignment options are part of the discussion.

12/1/2021 Board Agenda and Zoom info

Purisima-to-the-Sea Regional Trail and Parking Area Feasibility Study – Opportunities and Constraints Analysis and Project Vision and Goals

THIS MEETING WILL BE VIA TELECONFERENCE ONLY
1. The meeting can be viewed in real-time at: Join our Cloud HD Video Meeting or listen to the meeting
by dialing (669) 900-6833 or (346) 248-7799 (Webinar ID 897 0980 8836).
2. Members of the public may provide written or oral comments by submitting a public comment form
at: https://www.openspace.org/public-comment
• Comments on matters not on the agenda must be submitted prior to the time the board president calls
for public comments.
• Comments on agenda items must be submitted prior to the time public comment on the agenda item is
closed.
• All comments shall be subject to the same rules as would otherwise govern speaker comments at the
board of directors meeting.
• All written comments or requests to speak must be submitted via the public comment form. Requests
to provide oral comments may be made by leaving a message at 650-772-3614. Comments via text or
social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) will not be accepted.
Any comments received after the deadline, will be provided to the Board after the meeting.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I just left a comment for the record. Super easy.

Note the agenda item is #1, which you need to state. It's unclear if the topic is the trail, the parking lots, or both. I don't care much about all the lot stuff, but I do care about trail access so I wrote to that given the ambiguity.

I wrote, for reference.
Please support recreational bicycle access to the full length of the proposed trail.

The outstanding length of the Purisima to Sea trail, particularly if extended to the Bay as planned, provides a singular opportunity for extended off-road journeys. I have long planned routes for bike rides with my children that minimize time sharing dangerous roadways and cars, and maximize time in nature. A bike legal route to the coast has been sorely absent.

This committee has an opportunity to build a superlative day-trip experience for recreational cyclists to move from shore to shore safely and in nature. While hiking access remains a co-top priority, few hikers or trail runners are physically able to cover so many trail miles between one day's dawn to dusk.

Please support equitable access for peaceful, shared, and respectful multi-use along the full length of the proposed trails.

Thank you. I am excited to ride and hike the trail with my family soon.

·
Registered
468 Posts
With respect to "is it about the trail," I agree it was difficult to tell from Midpen's materials as they focus on the multi-modal access topic, but it really is about the trail as well - more comments on that below. I think all the comments that people have provided about narrow trails, quality of trail/user experience, etc. are well worthwhile. It also helps to provide input that's related to bike access and parking, for example one coastside resident said that they tend to avoid their cars on weekends anyway because of tourist traffic, so they would tend to ride to the trail rather than park there. It can help to make arguments for better bike access to the trailheads (in the long run this is particularly useful along Skyline: Better Ridge Trail bike access and connectivity will lead to much more flexibility in parking).

This meeting was pretty well attended. I saw 77 people on the Zoom at one point and recognized both MTB and equestrian advocates to whom I've spoken. CAMTB and Coastside Mountain Bikers were there. There were a bunch of Midpen people there so maybe only half of those were the public, but comments from the board indicated that it was a large turnout. The breakout sessions were well attended and pretty active but way too short to accomplish much. It was also difficult to understand which breakout session to choose if you were interested in the trail itself. They had a few survey questions that they provided through Mentimeter and gave an opportunity to provide written comments. There will be a post-survey as well so I expect that's where a lot more detailed feedback will be provided.

It does appear that they intend to have a bike-legal trail for the full route from Skyline. The current maps show the alignment as Purisima Creek -- Borden Hatch Mill -- Bald Knob -- Irish Ridge, and then just a fuzzy conceptual alignment down to parking areas by HWY1. One question came up about details of Bald Knob and Irish Ridge as multi-use trails (would they change those trails in some way). I'm not sure if they've made any such decisions as the overall routing is still just a concept.

Curt Riffle, the board president, asked an interesting question about multi-use: He wondered if they would need to split access on multiple paths at any point to manage different user types. The staff said that there were enough constraints that it probably wouldn't be an option on most of the new route (at least the yellow line on the map below). I think there are still some questions about multiple paths farther down the hill - some maps of Purisima-to-the-Sea show two routes near the bottom but this discussion focused on what's in the maps below.

Ecoregion Map Nature Natural environment World

Ecoregion World Light Map Nature

A lot of discussion is about parking and multi-modal access, but in my view that all follows from the interest in trails. Purisima is popular because of its trails, and the lots vary in popularity by their proximity not just to places where people come from but also the preferred trail loops. If a good trail is built up from HWY1, that area will also become a popular parking spot. If they provide a shuttle from there up to the Higgins Canyon trailhead, then it will be even more popular - but again it's all tied to trail access. I'm not sure if this is all clear to Midpen but I'll point it out in my feedback. If all they wanted was to eliminate all their parking problems, they could just strip the preserves down to fire roads, like at Sierra Azul and El Sereno :unsure:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With respect to "is it about the trail," I agree it was difficult to tell from Midpen's materials as they focus on the multi-modal access topic, but it really is about the trail as well - more comments on that below. I think all the comments that people have provided about narrow trails, quality of trail/user experience, etc. are well worthwhile. It also helps to provide input that's related to bike access and parking, for example one coastside resident said that they tend to avoid their cars on weekends anyway because of tourist traffic, so they would tend to ride to the trail rather than park there. It can help to make arguments for better bike access to the trailheads (in the long run this is particularly useful along Skyline: Better Ridge Trail bike access and connectivity will lead to much more flexibility in parking).

This meeting was pretty well attended. I saw 77 people on the Zoom at one point and recognized both MTB and equestrian advocates to whom I've spoken. CAMTB and Coastside Mountain Bikers were there. There were a bunch of Midpen people there so maybe only half of those were the public, but comments from the board indicated that it was a large turnout. The breakout sessions were well attended and pretty active but way too short to accomplish much. It was also difficult to understand which breakout session to choose if you were interested in the trail itself. They had a few survey questions that they provided through Mentimeter and gave an opportunity to provide written comments. There will be a post-survey as well so I expect that's where a lot more detailed feedback will be provided.

It does appear that they intend to have a bike-legal trail for the full route from Skyline. The current maps show the alignment as Purisima Creek -- Borden Hatch Mill -- Bald Knob -- Irish Ridge, and then just a fuzzy conceptual alignment down to parking areas by HWY1. One question came up about details of Bald Knob and Irish Ridge as multi-use trails (would they change those trails in some way). I'm not sure if they've made any such decisions as the overall routing is still just a concept.

Curt Riffle, the board president, asked an interesting question about multi-use: He wondered if they would need to split access on multiple paths at any point to manage different user types. The staff said that there were enough constraints that it probably wouldn't be an option on most of the new route (at least the yellow line on the map below). I think there are still some questions about multiple paths farther down the hill - some maps of Purisima-to-the-Sea show two routes near the bottom but this discussion focused on what's in the maps below.

View attachment 1959568

View attachment 1959571

A lot of discussion is about parking and multi-modal access, but in my view that all follows from the interest in trails. Purisima is popular because of its trails, and the lots vary in popularity by their proximity not just to places where people come from but also the preferred trail loops. If a good trail is built up from HWY1, that area will also become a popular parking spot. If they provide a shuttle from there up to the Higgins Canyon trailhead, then it will be even more popular - but again it's all tied to trail access. I'm not sure if this is all clear to Midpen but I'll point it out in my feedback. If all they wanted was to eliminate all their parking problems, they could just strip the preserves down to fire roads, like at Sierra Azul and El Sereno :unsure:
Thanks for attending and advocating.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.