Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I’m looking for size advise for a new midnight special. I’m a statuesque 5’7.5” (yes at 48 years old fractions count!) but my personality is like 6’12”! I saw the guy on “Path less Peddaled” recommends a 50 for someone my size and was looking for others views. Yes I know it’s best to test ride/get a professional fit but just looking for suggestions since these bikes don’t stay in stock long. Thanks!

·
Registered
307 Posts
A 50cm sounds small to me, but I don't have experience with a Midnight Special. My 5' 7" wife (49 yrs. old) rode a 54cm Cross-Check, just for reference.

EDIT: I actually think it was a 52cm, not 54.

Craig

·
Registered
513 Posts
I am 5’8” and am also waiting to buy a Midnight Special frame. I have a road bike that has similar dimensions to the size 50 and that’s what I am looking to get. The TT dimension is virtually identical so for me that’s the best place to start. On my road bike I run a 110mm stem with a long reach bar but I’m pretty stretched out. Figuring to run an 80/90mm stem on the MS to be a little more upright for dirt/trail use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I’m 5’6.75, and my road bikes are equivalent to a 50. But I use a 110 mm stem with them, and the size 54 has a reach that is one centimeter longer. So a 100 mm stem. Which is fine. The stack on the 54 is about 1.5 cm taller than on the 50. So i’d End up using fewer spacers. I’d probably try the 54. But I have some specific fit issues that mean I like to size up. My inseam is 33.3 inches, and I have really long arms, too. So I don’t have a short reach. The short torso smaller bike is kind of backwards in my case. I have a lot of standover and a larger bike works fine. Plus, a higher head tube (stack) means I can sit up more. There are some other issues specific to me as well.

Do you have a road bike right now? If so, what year, make, model, and size is it so we compare?

Does it have a lot of spacers under the stem? How much seat post are you showing?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I normally ride a 50 cm road bike and I don't think I could fit on the 50 cm Midnight Special. 778mm standover and a 540 top tube are really more like a 52 than a 50. I would probably have to buy the 46. What that means to me is that the 50 is probably going to be fine for you.

For reference, I have the 50 cm Disc Trucker, which has a 530 effective top tube (-10mm from the 50 cm MS) and 756 standover (-22mm). I think I'm using a 100mm stem but it might be a 90. I'm 5'5".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.