Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Midge on it's way to me. I prefer the cleaner look of running the brake cable under the bar tape, but I've heard some say that it's not possbible to get smooth cable operation in this configuration.

Whose running cables under the bar tape? Whose not?

·
all about the all about
292 Posts
I've gone both ways...

moondoggy said:
I've got a Midge on it's way to me. I prefer the cleaner look of running the brake cable under the bar tape, but I've heard some say that it's not possbible to get smooth cable operation in this configuration.

Whose running cables under the bar tape? Whose not?
For me the lever action was only slightly improved w/o a full wrap, running BB7/287v levers. Although the cable operation was plenty good under the tape with my set-up, I just spend most/all of my time in the drops so I killed the full wrap and shortened the cable runs.

Most will say the action will greatly improve, but I'd start with what you like and fuss with it only if braking seems to suffer??

Not a great pic but...

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
Campy Record levers w/o return spring, cable under tape.Housing is garden variety campy, lined. No issues. I think smooth arcs are the key.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Full wrap, under housing...

I'm running Nokon housing and liners on a Karate Monkee, Midge, Shimano SLR aero levers and BB-7 mech brakes.

No.........not the road type BB-7's.

Don't ask me why it works..........they just do! :p

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
No cables under tape for me, at least with 287-Vs. No noodle either. I get much better braking action by running the brake housing directly into the lever body.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm running the cables under the bar tape with 287-V levers. Instead of running noodles into the levers, I used this type of housing end cap jammed under the lever and taped to the handlebar.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks folks. I should have metnioned that I'm running V brakes with 287V's on a SS. I guess I'll try it under the tape first and see how they perform. I can't wait to ride them. :D

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
moondoggy said:
Thanks folks. I should have metnioned that I'm running V brakes with 287V's on a SS. I guess I'll try it under the tape first and see how they perform. I can't wait to ride them. :D
Do not use the noodles! They ADD friction. If you can get smooth housing curves with the cables under the tape, go for it. I have shorter, straighter runs with exposed housing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.