Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey now

You caught me!

I was going to go on "the cheap" and did two bars with two rolls.....

I'll purchase another two rolls of tape, as I really really like the "tops"....didn't think I needin' them, but the longish portion is nice!

"Full wrap" coming soon!

Kolo said:
Lookin good - do you not use your tops at all or you just wanted to use one roll of tape to do two sets of bars?

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Eno,

The Sofa King Ti King Pin is my girl. She's been with me for a few years now, and is always willing to do the deed.

Stiff/light/EBB/ENO....it's all good!

Twenty six point four effective top tube...can you say looooooooongggg??

She loves the Midge!

Hee hee.....

Enoch said:
Man I'm diggin' on your Sofa King

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No mas wrist pain. Shoulders feel good!

Of course, I'm an old fuc$%er. Been riding these off road bicycles for more than twenty five years!

Not braggin'.

JaredMackall said:
So what is the advantage to using these Midge pars as opposed to a flat bar or riser?

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
rings and such....

The Lizard sports a 34/19 combo...soon to be 34/20 by way of another ENO. Or...I'll slap on the 32 and go for broke??...??

The Sofa King Ti King Pin....by it's fixie nature, sports a 38/18. 'Natch!.

2farfwd said:
The chainring on the Sofa King looks larger than on the lizard?

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
Where do your big hands go?

The LBS had a set of those sitting around that I was checking out, the drops, or at least the flat portion of them was way short! I could not find what seemed like a good hand position to me, except on the top and that's kind of narrow. The guys in the shop had a simialr opinion, but none of us has ridden them. They look real cool I must admit. Have you got this worked out, or is this still an experiment? I know you are a big guy and must have pretty big hands. :confused:

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Midge bars do seem kinda short in the drops, compared to the WTB's that I'm used to...I ran Shiggy and Matt Chester and Brant over the "coals", thinking I was the wiser!

But, only when they are NOT mounted! Once secured to the proper stemage, they work very very well. And...with Shiggy's 7/8" rubber chair tips installed (with a Canadian nickel!).....they are nothing less than spectacular! My big 'ol mitts are happy.

This is NOT a paid advertisement....I really like the Midge bars!

Mattman said:
The LBS had a set of those sitting around that I was checking out, the drops, or at least the flat portion of them was way short! I could not find what seemed like a good hand position to me, except on the top and that's kind of narrow. The guys in the shop had a simialr opinion, but none of us has ridden them. They look real cool I must admit. Have you got this worked out, or is this still an experiment? I know you are a big guy and must have pretty big hands. :confused:

·
Not because I'm fast.....
748 Posts
One more question for you?

So being a tall freak of nature like myself, did you go with shorter crankarms on your fixies? The reason I am picking your brain so much has to do with my current fixie CX bike project that is in the works. Becasue of our matching height, I pretty much have been using you and your builds as a reference point for the past two years going as far back as your original white 1X1 that you so cruely dumped for your Sofa King :( Thanks!

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Stalker alert! hee.

Well, because you aksed.....

The Sofa King is *almost* perfect for a fixie conversion, as the EBB allowed me to adjust the
UN-73 BB to it's uppermost position...and I'm utilizing the 175mm ENO cranks on that bike. I also replaced the standard Surly fork with a Surly Instigator, there's another inch of BB height, as well as another inch of stem rise! Still need to use the Salsa 40 degree stem, but it's all good!

Plenty of pedal clearance for off road duty.

Hindsight is 20/20?? I'd have saved lotsa money by having Matt Chester just build me up a proper frameset for my height.....but I'm having fun nonetheless..

And the "newer" black Surly 1X1 is happily languishing in the garage!

2farfwd said:
So being a tall freak of nature like myself, did you go with shorter crankarms on your fixies? The reason I am picking your brain so much has to do with my current fixie CX bike project that is in the works. Becasue of our matching height, I pretty much have been using you and your builds as a reference point for the past two years going as far back as your original white 1X1 that you so cruely dumped for your Sofa King :( Thanks!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.