Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put on a pair of Midges a couple of days ago and am having a devil of a time getting them comfortable. I have the tops set up even with the saddle, and the drop angled down a little, as per all the recs in Matt Chester's setup advice article on 63xc.com. The problem I'm having is that my hand sits on the drops such that I often pinch the nerve running down the center through the carpel tunnel. Anyone have or manage to resolve this problem?

I like the feeling of control they give in the rough stuff as compared to other dropbars I've used, but if I can't get them setup such that they don't occasionally tweak my nerve, I'll have to go back to the Nitto noodle bars I was using.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Sounds like it would be low for me. I set mine up so my primary position is on the drops, I'm out just a little in the hooks, and way up when on top...

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
D_Man said:
So do you guys have them set up such that the tops of the bars are actually above level with the saddle? By how much? Pics?
Yeah. I don't have any pics handy, but you want to set them up so your primary riding position is close to where you'd be when riding flat bars. I'm always in the hooks or on the drops, so I set the bars up so those positions are the ones that have the correct geometry. I think Shiggy might have some setup tips on his site...

·
Registered
364 Posts
D_Man said:
So do you guys have them set up such that the tops of the bars are actually above level with the saddle? By how much? Pics?
D_Man,

I've been riding dirt drops since the late '80's, not as long as Shiggy though. I seperated a shoulder last summer and the orthopedist suggested I run about 40-45* bend in my back and "joint neutral" positions for wrists and elbows to relieve pressure, while in the drops. Bar position relative to saddle height is, well.., relative. For me, the top of the bar is just below the top of saddle and the hoops are angled down a bit more than convetional setups. Since recovery, I've angled them back a bit so I can pull more (honk) while standing. But, I'm over 40...YMMV

dp

·
3,049 Posts
D_Man said:
No pics, mine are probably an inch, inch and a half above the saddle. As has been said, I aimed to have the hooks right where my risers had been.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
I used the Midge for about 8 months? I agree that where you should put it is relative. I also agree and suggest that you're main position when riding is in the drops, so the bars should be set up to where that is the most comfortable. I used the hooks mostly when cruzing uphill, and the tops when easy riding on the flats. Good luck, and congrats on the upcoming farme!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.