Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
shiggy said:
I wonder who that is. There is a Cascade Cream Puff finisher's cap in the picture.
Kent Peterson's pal Ed H. The shallow drops are what make the Midge rad for actually riding in the dirt. I wish he'd try them...kind of a bummer to not even bolt them up, especially with a complete lack of experience with a good flared bar.

mc

·
Registered
223 Posts
You're right

but I am looking for some bars for my Rando bike, not my mountain bike. I keep searching for the bar that won't make my hand start to ache after 400k, and I doubt I will ever find them, but I keep hoping. If they don't sell I may bolt them up and give them a shot off road. Thanks for the interest, Ed
BTW how is the half man half amazing Kent?

F

·
0 Posts
scarkinsmel said:
but I am looking for some bars for my Rando bike, not my mountain bike. I keep searching for the bar that won't make my hand start to ache after 400k, and I doubt I will ever find them, but I keep hoping.
You've got them...the devil is in the details though. The key to setting up drops for the rough and/or for distance is getting them high enough while maintaining an adequate cockpit for seated climbing and breathing. Bars alone are not a solution to your quandry, some other fundamentals need tweaking.

Through lots of riding and trial and error, you've probably come to a setup that's "pretty good" - but not great. So take that experience and build on it with these steps:

1) Keep the Midge.

2) Measure the cockpit on your existing bike...center of your saddle to the center of your bars in a direct line. Use metric for greatest accuracy. This measurement is "X".

3) You want to maintain "X" while raising your bar height. Midges are an even greater help with their shallow drop. There's nothing more comfortable than being able to ride and climb in the drops on a flared bar. Nothing is better for staying relaxed on the bike provided they are set up properly.

To generalize here...you'll need a stem that has greater rise AND a longer extension than what you're running now. Forget aesthetics, forget "aero". Your goal is comfort and riding bliss. Some graph paper, a straightedge, some high school trig, and a beverage at the kitchen table can be your tools to calculating out a better position for actual bike riding. Brevets = actual bike riding.

I practice what I preach. I'm back riding (on the road) a week after kinghitting/hyperextending everything in my right arm (it is still covered in those good yellow and green bruises - fingers to pectoral) and spraining my right wrist so severely that I still need to use my left hand (also with tweaked wrist) for most tasks (insert your own lewd joke here :). I'll also be riding to the Puff on my bike from ID and then racing with zero setup changes. Slowly? Maybe. Enjoying myself? Indeed.

scarkinsmel said:
He's good...I haven't chatted with him lately. I'd planned on doing the GDR with him this year but can't with other obligations here. He'll be rolling through town on the way and I'll ride with him some on his way to MT for the start.

Even if you decide the Midges are too kludgy for the road for your tastes...try my ideas. I think you'll see some marked improvement. Then you can be the freaky straight man in the local cycling club comedic ribbing. I've been that for years. We make the world a better place one weird-ass bike setup at a time.

Good luck!
mc

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
scarkinsmel said:
but I am looking for some bars for my Rando bike, not my mountain bike. I keep searching for the bar that won't make my hand start to ache after 400k, and I doubt I will ever find them, but I keep hoping. If they don't sell I may bolt them up and give them a shot off road. Thanks for the interest, Ed
Ed, the Midge could be your bar. I am going to put them on my road bike.

You might try the Specialized Body Geometry gloves, too.

·
Needed Less ~ Did More
1,012 Posts
My Midge experience...

They feel a little cramped on the drop-section curve for my XXL hands, I think I need to try adding a little length to them (thanks for the idea Shiggy!) and I'll give them another go. I have the WTB bars back on now as I know they work and I wanted to get the rest of the bike dialed. Raoul @ Ferrous has done a great job....considering we were tasting all of his single malts while discussing the frame design ;-)

Double wrap bar tape is great too, I got sold some of the Fizik gel pads / thin tape set-up by Nigel @ John Atkins Cycles (damn good sales man....git) and find it way too thin. Going back to double wrap cork tape from the bargain bin. Won't see that £18 again in a hurry :-(

As Matt said persevere with the set-up and try a few different positions and I'm sure you will like them.

Matt, hope the arm heals fast and you're back on the bike soon.

Alex

·
Registered
223 Posts
So I ended the auction

and will try them out. I am looking for a new Rando bike anyway, maybe the bars will be a perfect fit on it. Thanks and I will try your suggestions out, Ed

·
try driving your car less
3,097 Posts
flexiflyer said:
I'll also be riding to the Puff on my bike from ID and then racing with zero setup changes. Slowly? Maybe. Enjoying myself? Indeed.

mc
That sounds like too much fun! Are you going to ride back, too?

·
Not because I'm fast.....
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow..turned into a good thread for just an Ebay alert!

I was just trying to give a heads up to the Midge bars on Ebay and I ended up learning something new and useful. Thanks to Matt for the set up instructions with the off road drop bars. I will use the information when I set up my new CrossCheck with the Midges. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
Ed, I am using 7/8" rubber chair tips as bar end plugs with a nickle inside on my Midge bars. Gives them a nice feel and looks pretty good, too.

Attachments

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
Dang.

Thanks to you "sensible" folks....thanks Matt....thanks Shiggy....I lost out on that Ebay auction.

Now, somebody sell me some Midge bars....NOW!! I have cash in hand/Paypal/what have you.

I want some Midges! Yesterday, pleez...

·
Let me ask my wife
357 Posts
What he said

I too need this bar.

xrmattaz said:
Thanks to you "sensible" folks....thanks Matt....thanks Shiggy....I lost out on that Ebay auction.

Now, somebody sell me some Midge bars....NOW!! I have cash in hand/Paypal/what have you.

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
xrmattaz said:

At Sea Otter, Pete(?) of Planet X, told me they are air freighting in another 200 pair.

BTW Brant, he said you had better be taking very good care on me! :)

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
shiggy said:
At Sea Otter, Pete(?) of Planet X, told me they are air freighting in another 200 pair.

BTW Brant, he said you had better be taking very good care on me! :)
Heck Shig, you negotiated your own deal on this one :)

Were you wanting some more Midges for your bikes? I can't remember. Mail me eh, I have some new drawings to send you anyhow :)

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
Brant,

Your Paypal address is ??. Can I have some Midge's soon??

I'm seriously at a loss as how to order.......when will they be readily available?

Were you wanting some more Midges for your bikes? I can't remember. Mail me eh, I have some new drawings to send you anyhow :)

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
xrmattaz said:

I was in the Path Bike Shop an hour ago getting the wife's bike ready for racin' this wknd.
There is 1 set of Midges and 1 set of Mungos on hand.
714 669-0784

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
Midge

I called.

Not one Midge bar left in stock for me!

But TWO! Heading my way Monday....

Thanks PAPA!

Padre said:
I was in the Path Bike Shop an hour ago getting the wife's bike ready for racin' this wknd.
There is 1 set of Midges and 1 set of Mungos on hand.
714 669-0784

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts

Just keep me in bars and related parts and I am happy!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts